Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Its fantastic. This was how the suit should have looked in the first movie.
    Like the Avi Big Mike. Whose the girl in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Like the Avi Big Mike. Whose the girl in it?
    Link is so hot in her skirt.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Link is so hot in her skirt.
    I'm glad Link switched to blue. Blue suits her

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Yeah. Not his fault that Affleck and, if rumors become true, Momoa are a little more bulkier.
    Is Affleck really bulkier? I mean, he's taller, so he probably looks bigger regardless, but Henry didn't look like a patsy in the first movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Unfortunately we live in times where history and tradition mean nothing anymore. It's disgraceful in many ways how a growing number of today's comic fans care so little about history or tradition and not just in comics with historical characters like Superman it happen but in all walk of life now a days. The idea that anything new is better or that the old ideas and ways of thinking needs to be updated is ridiculous beyond words to describe.
    Cool story, bruh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    So Henry Cavill just took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge in the new Superman suit. Take a look for a good view of the new costume.

http://vimeo.com/104408762
    Yeah that's a great looking costume. I'm sure the brighter colors will pop out more against the gloom of Gotham.

Default Sss

It seems a futile wish that somehow " lighting" or "effects" will improve the look of something that was contrived to be ugly in the first place. It didn't do so in MOS. In those pics it still looks duller than a grey winter in Wisconsin.

Wilkinson, the costume "designer", announced that it had been "tweaked" for this movie but the "tweaks" are so minimal as to be barely noticeable. In long shot it's still a dull blue blob tending towards grey. The cape is still a ludicrous excess of material for no good purpose. There is no "design" involved here; it's just a lizardskin jump suit with a slap-on cape and a distorted version of the traditional \S/ logo which looks like a "no parking" or a "no smoking" red circle with diagonal red line through it. It provides only a vague resemblance to the traditional Superman image, but that's the intention any way. It's laughable that there is discussion on Cavill's physique in this context when this costume displays only rubber muscles.

Just left of the wormhole Terok Nor's Avatar

The way Snyder plays with color filters, what it looks like on set doesn't really matter.

I have never really come around on MoS, and I hope that Cavill can play a less mopey and reactive Superman, but no one's ever done the "Batman can beat Superman" thing on the big screen before and I really have no interest in seeing it, especially since the current comics guys seem to have understood how stupid it is.

Unfortunately we live in times where history and tradition mean nothing anymore. It's disgraceful in many ways how a growing number of today's comic fans care so little about history or tradition and not just in comics with historical characters like Superman it happen but in all walk of life now a days. The idea that anything new is better or that the old ideas and ways of thinking needs to be updated is ridiculous beyond words to describe.
    The excuse for doing away with the traditional costume is that it would look silly these days. Unfortunately, that's not much of an excuse when we look at other silly decisions that are allowed to make it onto the screen. According to the released image, Wonder Woman will have high heeled boots, which seems like a ridiculous thing for a warrior to wear into battle. Often times the neck of Batman's cowl is made of rigid rubber which immobilizes his head. I would think the last the Batman would need was something that restricted his ability to move or look around. In 'Dark Knight Rises' the nose of the cowl covered Batman's nostrils and seemed to restrict his breathing only to his gaping mouth (which I thought made for humorous expressions from Batman during some of his more dramatic scenes).

Red trunks are bad, but other costume decisions that aren't traditional and actually seem like dumb and restrictive things for the characters to wear are perfectly acceptable.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

And the old ways aren't necessarily the best. Change is not disgraceful, it's evolution and giving a contemporary focus to the market of the day.

I do care about history and tradition, I love the very early Superman stories but that said, I don't like Superman comics from the 40s up to the 80s. I've tried and tried but they just aren't for me.

It's a circular argument that Superman would be selling better/worse now if not for the post CoIE changes. But then, I think you've said before that you wish Superman were never seen again rather than your accepting change, so I'm pretty sure we aren't going to find an agreement anytime soon.

As to "it's disgraceful in many ways how a growing number... care so little about history or tradition... it happen but in all walk of life now a days." Here's a fantastic oversimplification. Women and minorities can vote, homosexuals aren't arrested. That's not "caring little about history", that's the people of the past just being wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Qwathings View Post
    The excuse for doing away with the traditional costume is that it would look silly these days. Unfortunately, that's not much of an excuse when we look at other silly decisions that are allowed to make it onto the screen. According to the released image, Wonder Woman will have high heeled boots, which seems like a ridiculous thing for a warrior to wear into battle. Often times the neck of Batman's cowl is made of rigid rubber which immobilizes his head. I would think the last the Batman would need was something that restricted his ability to move or look around. In 'Dark Knight Rises' the nose of the cowl covered Batman's nostrils and seemed to restrict his breathing only to his gaping mouth (which I thought made for humorous expressions from Batman during some of his more dramatic scenes).

Red trunks are bad, but other costume decisions that aren't traditional and actually seem like dumb and restrictive things for the characters to wear are perfectly acceptable.
    It seems you've actually gotten mixed up. "Look silly" = "would be silly to wear into battle" Those aren't the same. The changes you've cited are done to make the characters look better. FYI the "high heels" are done to make Gadot look taller, BW wore the same in Avengers. Likewise Batman's cowl. Obviously it would hold his head still, but it looks better that way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by planetman View Post
    It seems a futile wish that somehow " lighting" or "effects" will improve the look of something that was contrived to be ugly in the first place. It didn't do so in MOS. In those pics it still looks duller than a grey winter in Wisconsin.

Wilkinson, the costume "designer", announced that it had been "tweaked" for this movie but the "tweaks" are so minimal as to be barely noticeable. In long shot it's still a dull blue blob tending towards grey. The cape is still a ludicrous excess of material for no good purpose. There is no "design" involved here; it's just a lizardskin jump suit with a slap-on cape and a distorted version of the traditional \S/ logo which looks like a "no parking" or a "no smoking" red circle with diagonal red line through it. It provides only a vague resemblance to the traditional Superman image, but that's the intention any way. It's laughable that there is discussion on Cavill's physique in this context when this costume displays only rubber muscles.
    Watched Man of Steel yet?

Extraordinary Member

I'm surprised his costume didn't suffer any tears in MOS.

All the superhero costumes have fake muscles built into them. I remember Brandon Routh commenting on this with Superman Returns. The costumes themselves are very tight, so they compress the person in them to a certain extent. Even if if you're a massive Mr. Universe body builder, the costume will make you look smaller. So all the costumes added in padded muscles to get the look of the superhero that is lost in the tightness of the costume. Routh jokingly said that the Superman suit he wore was roughly the size of a washcloth when he took it off. Having met Routh myself, he's a pretty huge guy. Even when not working out for a superhero role, he's pretty muscular. His Supersuit made him look skinny in the film and that's not how he comes across in real life. So Ben Affleck's suit will have padded muscles just like Michael Keaton's suit or the Spider-Man suites worn by McGuire and Garfield. If the costume is going for more of the traditional look of a superhero, like spandex over muscles, the muscles will always be padded.

Quote Originally Posted by planetman View Post

I'm going to have to disagree with you about the suit on this one planetman. Based on it's influences, the MOS suit is by far the most traditional styled Superman suit in current production. I'll attach an image to help illustrate my point here. The darker shade of blue or the blue/gray has been used several times in Superman's comic history. This goes all the way back to the 40's, Superman's early years. The \S/ shield on the MOS suit is actually a slight variation of a very retro version of Superman's \S/ from the 40's. The 40's version had the slightly angled top of the S and went thin to thick to thin again with a serif style S. It's actually much more traditional than the \S/ Superman has worn in the comics for decades. As for costume design, it's there. Take the strange alien piping (for lack of a better word) on the torso of the costume. That's actually pretty strong design, especially character design. The design on the torso starts out wide on the top and comes around to be narrow at the waist/stomach area. That visually creates emphasis on the chest. Combine that with the large \S/ shield and your attention is drawn to Superman's chest first. Strong characters always have their chest, shoulders and arms emphasized, as we associate those parts of the body with physical strength. So in this case, the costume is following that strong design tradition to emphasize that Superman is a strong character. Like when you see a strong cartoon character who has a huge upper body and tiny little stick legs, you know he's physically strong (take animated Superman from STAS). The boots of the MOS costume are the boots Superman has worn since the 40's. A long cape is nothing new for Superman either. Though I do wish the would put the yellow S on the back of the movie cape again. So I must disagree with you about the lack of design skills of the costume designer or that the MOS suit is breaking from any kind of tradition in an attempt to distance the films from Superman's history. It's a far more historic costume than Superman has worn in years.

That being said, I find the texture a bit much and a little distracting. So I probably wouldn't have done that myself. I think the extra design elements on the torso and sleeves add enough visual interest that the texture is a little overdone. Also, sorry you don't like the suit or the films. You seem like a pretty passionate Superman fan (as most of us are). So it would be cool to get a film version of Supes that we could all enjoy (if that's even possible). Didn't mean to make it sound like I was jumping on you or anything. Design is one of my strong suits, so I like to discuss it. In message boards past I've done some pretty thorough analysis of the "classic" superman costume in defense of why it lasted so long and why it works so well. I've also criticized the Nu52 suit for it's design flaws. I stand by both of those analyses.

I really hope they don't ruin those nice bright colors on the suit with another filter. That would be a terrible waste.

Here's the pic I was referencing that shows the history of Superman's costume.

z131104-1938-2011.jpg