Extraordinary Member

Default Harley Quinn #1 Preview

Harley Quinn #1 Preview
    Writer: Stephanie Phillips
    Artist: Riley Rossmo

So, she's sort of back to her old (pre-Flashpoint) costume (at least below her shoulders)?

BANNED

Gotham based. Redemption arc. Harley meeting with Killer Croc, both having history in Suicide Squad and are into anti heroism.

Looks like they're finally committing to a redemptive Harley. Be interesting to see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks like they're finally committing to a redemptive Harley. Be interesting to see how it works.
    After reading the first issue... Interesting isn't the word I'd use. This run looks like it's going to lose a lot of the fun and charm that the previous 3 volumes had. From this issue, it looks like they're trying to emulate the serious tone and nature of the "White Knight Presents Harley Quinn" book, while toning it down a bit for the general audience... It just doesn't strike the tone I'm used to with the previous solo outings.

BANNED

I dont think many are interested in seeing how Harley redeems herself. Those that are her fans would read her books regardless of what kind of moral alignment she has. Making Harley more "responsible" is making her less fun. I cant believe the word "responsible" can be used in the same sentence with "Harley". Im more interested in how Harley is writtten OUTSIDE of her solo. What kind of impact that a more "responsible" Harley would have on the larger DCU.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-25-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"While no one would call Harley a member of the Bat-Family"
    Oh so they knew

"Harley returns to Gotham determined to undo some of the damage her past enablement might have caused. But as anyone who’s hurt people before can tell you, forgiveness doesn’t come easily."
    I like that sound

I just couldn’t get past the art
    I passed on it

I actually like the art (I’ve run across Riley Rossmo on a few non DC books). That said I wasn’t expecting much from the actual story, but it was interesting enough for me to decide I wanna see where it goes.

Always Rakzo

Same problem with Phillips' Future State work, this actually doesn't have much to do with Harley Quinn and the universe that Palmiotti and Conner created. On the contrary, it goes for a much more derivative route of making her more connected to Batman in a rather unnecessary way.

Rossmo's art was appropriate at least. Aside from that, wasted potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Same problem with Phillips' Future State work, this actually doesn't have much to do with Harley Quinn and the universe that Palmiotti and Conner created. On the contrary, it goes for a much more derivative route of making her more connected to Batman in a rather unnecessary way.

Rossmo's art was appropriate at least. Aside from that, wasted potential.
    Tynion started that characterization, not Phillips. It's a good change of pace, I think the current iteration started by Conner and Palmiotti had gotten played out and they ended it.

My daughter is a huge Harley fan, she has all her regular series, mini's and one-shots. She enjoyed it quite a bit. I like the story so far, art not as much though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Not a fan of this direction
    Art is going to take so getting used to
    Appeasing the people who hate her character in general and won't read this book regardless of her moral alignment is weak

I hate how the perceived lack of ties to Gotham is a problem now.
    Harley Quinn has basically just traded Joker for Batman before she was her own woman who did whatever she wanted and had no obligations to anyone but her friends.
    Now she's making up for crimes after she's already saved the universe 4 different times at this point.

It doesn't fit her character and narratively is off

if she's guilty because of what happened to clownhunter that's really on tynion to tell that story not have her solo be wasted on this

Hopefully the book shifts to stories that we got from future state

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Not a fan of this direction
    Art is going to take so getting used to
    Appeasing the people who hate her character in general and won't read this book regardless of her moral alignment is weak

I hate how the perceived lack of ties to Gotham is a problem now.
    Harley Quinn has basically just traded Joker for Batman before she was her own woman who did whatever she wanted and had no obligations to anyone but her friends.
    Now she's making up for crimes after she's already saved the universe 4 different times at this point.

It doesn't fit her character and narratively is off

if she's guilty because of what happened to clownhunter that's really on tynion to tell that story not have her solo be wasted on this

Hopefully the book shifts to stories that we got from future state
    Judging by what you're saying I feel like I'd have the exact opposite reaction.

Although I hate modern Harley more than I hate Harley as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Judging by what you're saying I feel like I'd have the exact opposite reaction.

Although I hate modern Harley more than I hate Harley as a whole.
    I don't know if you are saying you hate Harley in general this series probably won't be for you either
    I only dislike this direction because it abandoned all the supporting cast and ancillary characters she gathered on her own away from Gotham

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I don't know if you are saying you hate Harley in general this series probably won't be for you either
    I only dislike this direction because it abandoned all the supporting cast and ancillary characters she gathered on her own away from Gotham
    I’m the opposite. While I’ll miss the hijinks from old Harley, I’m excited to see where we’ll go with Harley from here.