Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Post Hixman, your dream X-Men runs

While we probably have about another 2-3 years of this run, I thought it would be fun to speculate and maybe just discus our dream runs post Hickman.

Uncanny X-men (Core Title)- Personally, I think Al Ewing will be the best Person to follow-up on Hickman. He certainly knows how to write teams and with him currently writing SWORD, he already has a hand in the X-Universe. With his critically acclaimed run on Immortal Hulk and writing the best Guardians run since Bendis brought them back, he has a talent for expanding the Cosmic side of the Marvel Universe while also creating some good horror. Pair him up with his artist for Guardians of the Galaxy; Juaan Cabal who is able to compliment Ewing with his psychedelic panel layouts, and you got yourself what could be a cult run to follow up Hickman's era.

Wolverine- Donny Cates is the dream next step for this character. As we've seen with Venom, Cates is able to write a very personal tale of a broke character. It'll most certainly be a much more introspective run than we've seen before, taking the character of Wolverine and possibly deconstructing him. Cates is at his best when he writing a single character and pushing them to their limits. With his prior tropes, we could see arcs that develop the relationship between him and Daken. In terms of art, I honestly think Adam Kubert is used to drawing Wolverine. It'll visually be very similar to Cates' Venom, but Kubert in my opinion, is a superior Wolverine artist than Stegman.

Also, I think Chip Zdarsky would be able to write a fun Wolverine title by heading into noir.

Astonishing X-Men- This may be a controversial choice, but I think Leah Williams can create a much more lighthearted title which is both fun and at times, funny. Give her the right rooster, and she can probably pull off more personal and smaller scale stories when compared to Ewing's X-men. Valerio Schiti is probably the best artist to help compliment that lighter tone. While he does good, epic stories of a higher scale, I also think he has a good grasp of character design and panel layouts.

X-Force- I'm going to split this era in two as I think there are two creative teams that I think are good for this era.
    The first is Donny Cates and Nic Klein, I get that Cates has admitted that he isn't as comfortable writing teams as opposed to writing single characters, but I think give him a small cast of characters that will let him tell a tight story, and you got a run that could rival Remender. Pair him up with Nic Klein, who is able to make the title feel epic while keeping things relatively small scale, and that'll be a fun run to read.

The Second option was Ayla Vita and Rod Reis. Honestly, I don't know much about Vita, but with their New Mutants run and the creative team making magic with that title, I think they can do a darker take on X-Force. Vita knows how to write a team and can juggle numerous plots at once. I think it'll be a slower comic than Cates' but it'll read well as a serialised book.

X-23- I think if you give Eve Ewing this character, she'll know what to do with her. She does well when writing the teenage characters, and I think this is the best place for her to start with getting into the X-Books. I don't have an artist for this one, maybe it can just have a rotating art team.

Anyway, what would your creative teams be?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Al Ewing would be the right pick imo, but Zdarsky could be very fun

I want Al Ewing writing a team with adult Cable on it. That’s pretty much all I want at this point.

All I want is Vanesa Del Rey drawing X-Women. Some witchy mini series would be nice. Or a poster book.

I would say Al Ewing or Vita Ayala for the main title. Ewing for all the reasons that you’ve mentioned and Ayala because they not only bring a diverse perspective, but the best scene out of CotA was when they focused on the older X-Men.

I prefer this era format so i would go with Director: vita or ewing preferably ewing and then have them pick their writers.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Saladin Ahmed and Jamal Campbell on a heroic direction for X-MEN.

Mark Russell and Greg Capullo on a back to basics EXCALIBUR.

W. Maxwell Prince and Tradd Moore on a trippy new X-FORCE book.

Scott Snyder And Dan Mora on a grim & gritty WOLVERINE solo book.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Ewing really is the only writer to follow Hickman that has the right vision and would work for Marvel.

Joshua Williamson and Ron Garney on Cyclops first solo ongoing.

John Ridley and Pepe Larraz on Uncanny X-Men.

BANNED

Percy running the line with Vita and Al also being driving forces.

Find a writer that is really into Storm, Jean, and Rogue to push the major X-Women for once.

Donny Cates on Jean Grey cosmic solo! art by Carmen Carnero

Al Ewing, Ram V writing some books. Get Carla Pacheco and maybe Kelly Thompson back

I'd love to see Ewing or Zdarsky get a crack at Uncanny.

Hope Hickman era lasts more than just 3 more years but Ewing is the only appropriate answer for me in a post-hickman x-office.

Donny Cates and Elena Casagrande (current Black Widow) on Gambit solo.

I would love to see what Alyssa Wong would do with an x-book