Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Hawkman: Carter Hall Appreciation Thread 2021

Hello all! Since I saw there was some...confusion with the other Carter Hall thread, I decided to go on ahead and make a thread in appreciation of Carter Hall, in all his many incarnations, and his legacy as a character. Are you a fan of the 40s Hawkman? Geoff Johns' take on Carter? the Legends of Tomorrow interpretation? Are you a fan of the Venditti run? or simply excited about Aldis Hodge portrayal in the DCEU? well this is the thread for you! Fans of Hawkman and all his incarnations or reincarnations are welcomed here. seeing as I am not as steeped in Hawk lore as some of y'all out there, I will be relying on you guys' to lemme know what titles to include in his essential reading and what under appreciated Hawkman stories deserve more shine, so I can complete this OP :-p

~~~~~

Created by: Gardner Fox (writer) Dennis Neville (artist)

First Appearance: Flash Comics #1 (January 1940).

Powers: Hawkman's most notable asset is his reincarnation cycle across space and time. Due to possessing the memories of his many past lives, Hawkman is proficient in practically every form of martial combat across existence. As a result, he is an expert with a wide array of archaic and futuristic weapons from his past lives, including guns, lasers, cosmic warships, battle axes, maces, swords, spears, shields, etc. Reincarnation has also given Hawkman knowledge of hundreds of languages and cultures, making him exceedingly wise and widely regarded as the foremost leader in the academic fields of history and archaeology. His wealth of experience from his past lifetime makes him a brilliant tactician and strong leader, as well as a fierce warrior. Famously, during the Public Enemies story arc in the Superman/Batman series, he was selected as the perfect hero to confront Batman, possessing the significant advantage of his flight and strength but otherwise being Batman's equal.

Across space and time (and across continuity) nearly all incarnations of Hawkman have displayed some degree of enhanced physical strength. The Golden Age Hawkman was said to have the strength of 12 men but later that description was later abandoned. Whereas the Golden Age Hawkman's strength appeared natural, the Silver Age Hawkman explained that the Nth metal enables its wielders to carry great weights. This has been more come to be interpreted as the Nth metal simply enhancing the strength of the user over time in more recent incarnations of the character. Some incarnations of Hawkman have also possessed enhanced senses comparable to a hawk's and have also been able to converse with birds; though they typically can not compel them in the same way that Aquaman could command sea creatures.

All incarnations of Hawkman use the quasi-magical "ninth metal" or "Nth metal" to defy gravity, attain flight, and perform a variety of superhuman feats. The metal is incorporated into their costume, belt, boots, and wings, and can be controlled mentally. The Nth metal laced in their wings allow them to control their flight, though they can be "flapped" through the use of shoulder motions. Nth metal can also increase the survivability of it's wearer by closing wounds instantaneously and greatly aiding the healing process. When Carter Hall's arm was almost completely severed, the wound was closed, healed, and functionality returned to the arm shortly thereafter; far quicker than humanly possible. The Atom has commented that Hawkman laughs at anything less than third-degree burns. Nth metal can also regulate the body temperature of the wearer, preventing the need for heavy protective clothing while in high altitudes. It also has the property of radiating heat, which can be controlled to warm the wearer in colder climates.

Most versions of Hawkman prefer to use archaic weaponry—particularly axes, clawed gauntlets, nets, spears, and shields—rather than modern or futuristic weapons, but typically have access to a variety of advanced weaponry at their disposal. The current incarnation prefers archaic weaponry, in part, because of his memories of having lived countless past lives throughout Earth's ancient history. Hawkman's signature weapon is his Nth metal Mace, a weapon that is supernaturally tough, that can strike with supernatural force, can disrupt magic and energy, and can be recalled to Hawkman from long range.

Aside from his signature Mace, another significantly unique weapon Carter employs occasionally is the Claw of Horus. Constructed of Nth metal by Prince Khufu in ancient Egypt, it was delivered to the newly resurrected Carter Hall by the time-displaced Jay Garrick and was used to defeat Superman. As he explained it, he "essentially, hit [him] with the planet" by utilizing it's Nth metal properties to channel the Earth's gravitational field. Hawkman also possesses a Thanagarian warship called "The Brontadon", Rannian hard-light armor, and has been depicted using an assortment of technologically advanced laser weaponry.

Essential Reading
    • title #1 written by _ art by _
    • title #2 written by _ art by _
    • title #3 written by _ art by _
    • title #4 written by _ art by _
    • title #5 written by _ art by _

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    At the end of the year, all Appreciation threads are closed and new threads for the coming year are put in place.

Appreciation threads are for just that - Appreciation. Not for debate, not for slamming and not for bringing other characters down by comparison.~

Commence appreciating! :-)
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-06-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Glad to see a thread where Hawkman in all his versions can be appreciated without resctrictions.

I think that for example the last Hawkman series is a must of recommended reading for the character. Another good run was the one that run since 2002.

Yes, we all can see how the divide between the fans have been harmful to the Green Lantern fandom and property, Hawkman with a way smaller fanbase can't have the luxury of fighting among itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Yes, we all can see how the divide between the fans have been harmful to the Green Lantern fandom and property, Hawkman with a way smaller fanbase can't have the luxury of fighting among itself.
    The problem seemed to be that I created a thread specifically regarding Golden Age Hawkman and some people evidently were not pleased when I asked that they not turn it into a thread on Katar Hol nor make it all about a guy who's going to be playing a version of Hawkman that's appearing in a movie that hasn't even been made yet.

LOL Hawkman now has as many threads as he does lives and incarnations. This is quite fitting for the character.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 03-20-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

I was honestly hoping for Hawkman to be this character who appears as several different ethnic backgrounds throughout the ages until modern day Aldis Hodge variant. But I’m definitely curious to see what they do with him on the big screen. He’s probably my most anticipated character right now that’s been casted.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I was honestly hoping for Hawkman to be this character who appears as several different ethnic backgrounds throughout the ages until modern day Aldis Hodge variant. But I’m definitely curious to see what they do with him on the big screen. He’s probably my most anticipated character right now that’s been casted.
    honestly, that should've been an avenue DC explored with the character for decades now. unfortunately, with the exception of Khufu, Hodge's Carter will be the only significant non-white interpretation of the character we've gotten; which was something that kept me from really enjoying the character as much as I probably could have.

but yeah, I'm right there with you, his Hawkman is probably the upcoming DCEU character I'm most intrigued by right now. really hope Hodge's Hawkman is well received in Black Adam so DC can greenlight his own movie and start investing in more ethnically and racially diverse interpretations across his many lives. With Venditti having expanded his cycle farther across space and time, even if he "closed the cycle" it still opens up that possibility in a number of ways without mucking up his timeline again.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

This idea is so good that I can't understand why they haven't done it yet. And not just ethnic backgrounds but they could really explore the nature vs. nurture angle with Hawkman having various upbrings and been raised in several cultures.

seems like we may be getting a look at Hodge's Hawkman soon (hopefully). His enthusiasm about the role (and Venditti's run) makes me more interested in going back and finally reading up on Hawkman.

to that end, I'm gonna start working my way through these titles.

currently following:

BANNED

This idea is so good that I can't understand why they haven't done it yet. And not just ethnic backgrounds but they could really explore the nature vs. nurture angle with Hawkman having various upbrings and been raised in several cultures.
    I’d definitely be interested in the Nature vs Nurture element it sounds like something that would be hot right now in the world were living in. I could legit see a show similar to Altered Carbon. Or even Assassin creed where we get different variations of characters maybe each season or story arc all being reincarnations.

There’s a lot of potential in the Hawkman brand that the reincarnation angle gives him.

BANNED

In terms of costume and power aesthetic though I’m hoping he gets a suit similar to young justice or futures end. But his powers treated like New52 if possible and the Nth metal is infused with him. It might make it hard to kill him though lol.

Yoo he's been reading JSA by Johns?!
    Awesome!
    My favourite DC Team and my fav. run

I’d definitely be interested in the Nature vs Nurture element it sounds like something that would be hot right now in the world were living in. I could legit see a show similar to Altered Carbon. Or even Assassin creed where we get different variations of characters maybe each season or story arc all being reincarnations.

There’s a lot of potential in the Hawkman brand that the reincarnation angle gives him.
    Just imagine a version of Hawkman, born on a mob family or out of some tyrant king reaching his mid-20s and remembering his heroic past. Or a crusader knight with memories of the time he was a muslim warrior. A european explorer finding out he used to be a african warrior. The son of a plantation owner who was a slave in the previous life.
    The possibilities are inumerous. It would be some very delicate subject but it would be amazing in the right creative hands.

BANNED

Just imagine a version of Hawkman, born on a mob family or out of some tyrant king reaching his mid-20s and remembering his heroic past. Or a crusader knight with memories of the time he was a muslim warrior. A european explorer finding out he used to be a african warrior. The son of a plantation owner who was a slave in the previous life.
    The possibilities are inumerous. It would be some very delicate subject but it would be amazing in the right creative hands.
    I feel like a lot of those stories could also explain why he ends up dying because of having a clash of ideals and possibly getting to a level of where he has more of a open mindedness to different customs, beliefs, etc. that oppose whatever life he’s living at the moment. I’d imagine it would be hard to fight crusading as a catholic knight if you remember being a son to a Muslim preacher in a past life. I definitely think if done right it could be one of those films looked past being just a CBM.

"Carter Hall, you are the Avatar."

775a68ebb3b84946d1e4b446c3625e99.jpg