Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The Hawks getting labelled as a rip off of Ikaris and Sersi of the Eternals. What an interesting timeline.
    It's one I hope we never live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Not going to lie, thought the same thing and I'm kind of jealous that if the Hawks get adapted properly (that is, both of them instead of just Carter), a lot of people may think it's a rip off of the Eternals.
    The best way to avoid that, is to lean on the reincarnation aspect, using different actors to each life they had. So an arabic/egyptian actor for Khufu, an asian actor for Samurai Hawkman, an caucasian for Knight Hawkman, a african actor for ex-slave/freedom fighter Hawkman, etc.
    I believe it would be enough not only to avoid comparison with the Eternals but also to make the Hawks really stand out among all superheroes.

Not going to lie, thought the same thing and I'm kind of jealous that if the Hawks get adapted properly (that is, both of them instead of just Carter), a lot of people may think it's a rip off of the Eternals.
    I mean, if you get into the nitty gritty of it it's pretty different, but maybe I'm giving the general audience too much credit...

I heard somewhere that the reason WB isn't considering a Vixen movie is because she's too similar to Black Panther...So yeah, sounds very much like Hollywood's way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I heard somewhere that the reason WB isn't considering a Vixen movie is because she's too similar to Black Panther...So yeah, sounds very much like Hollywood's way of thinking.
    Walter Hamada have said they are looking to the theatrical releases for potential tv spin-offs, my hope is Hawkman getting one after Black Adam comes out. If the movie is successful and the character well received, we could get a good tv series out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Walter Hamada have said they are looking to the theatrical releases for potential tv spin-offs, my hope is Hawkman getting one after Black Adam comes out. If the movie is successful and the character well received, we could get a good tv series out of it.
    And hopefully Hawkgirl sooner rather than later .

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Of course, how legit is that "somewhere" you're referring to?

I heard a similar thing but that was on this forum. I haven't seen any official sources to back this up. I hope it's not true. I love Vixen but once you get past the totem and coming from a fictional African nation, you realize that she has more in common with Mary Jane than Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

My reading has finally come back around to Hawkman. About 1.5yrs ago I found the Savage Hawkman nu52 trades at Ollies(a discount store) and read those. I really enjoyed the run.
    Off/on I've been reading other things while amassing my next Hawkman binge, starting with Death of Hawkman thru the recent Venditti series.

While Death of Hawkman seemingly does not have ties to the Venditti series they work side-by-side I feel.

I'm currently on TPB vol.3 of the run, finished thru issue #17. Really dug that Shade, Shadow Thief/Master and Gentleman Ghost all appeared. Great mini-arc I felt.
    I'm about to get into Sky Tyrant issues. Is this "infected" Hawkman a version ever seen before or just created as part of the 'Year of the Villain' event DC did?
    I feel since the first 12 issues of the run establishes that Carter is reincarnating due to having to save as many lives as he took while a Deathbringer that a reincarnated version who takes lives is...odd.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    My reading has finally come back around to Hawkman. About 1.5yrs ago I found the Savage Hawkman nu52 trades at Ollies(a discount store) and read those. I really enjoyed the run.
    Off/on I've been reading other things while amassing my next Hawkman binge, starting with Death of Hawkman thru the recent Venditti series.

While Death of Hawkman seemingly does not have ties to the Venditti series they work side-by-side I feel.

I'm currently on TPB vol.3 of the run, finished thru issue #17. Really dug that Shade, Shadow Thief/Master and Gentleman Ghost all appeared. Great mini-arc I felt.
    I'm about to get into Sky Tyrant issues. Is this "infected" Hawkman a version ever seen before or just created as part of the 'Year of the Villain' event DC did?
    I feel since the first 12 issues of the run establishes that Carter is reincarnating due to having to save as many lives as he took while a Deathbringer that a reincarnated version who takes lives is...odd.
    I have such mixed feelings on Venditti's run. It started out strong, but I felt the Deathbringer arc just went on a little too long; 6-8 issues would have been perfect, by 12 I was bored. Then you had some classic-feeling stuff with The Atom and the foes you mentioned, all of which was pretty great. The Sky Tyrant arc was editorially mandated "Year of the Villain" nonsense, and the book lost traction again due to it. Then it bounces back for an excellent final arc (no spoilers!) that really made it's cancellation a kick in the gut.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I have such mixed feelings on Venditti's run. It started out strong, but I felt the Deathbringer arc just went on a little too long; 6-8 issues would have been perfect, by 12 I was bored. Then you had some classic-feeling stuff with The Atom and the foes you mentioned, all of which was pretty great. The Sky Tyrant arc was editorially mandated "Year of the Villain" nonsense, and the book lost traction again due to it. Then it bounces back for an excellent final arc (no spoilers!) that really made it's cancellation a kick in the gut.
    While it went on too long, Venditti did get all he could out of the idea. I hate the way DKDM screwed over lots of books (as event books often do), but among all the titles hit by that wave of mediocrity, Hawkman made the best lemonade out of it and still found a way to tie it mostly into the core plot. Surprising, honestly. Doubly so when you learn that the book was cancelled three times so Venditti was well aware it could end at any time. In a lot of ways, that book's a little miracle.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Trying to get through the 60s Hawkman series, and issue #9 was really good, one of the best Hawkman stories I've read in a while:

It was the first time where Atom and Hawkman both find out about each other's true identities too.

While it went on too long, Venditti did get all he could out of the idea. I hate the way DKDM screwed over lots of books (as event books often do), but among all the titles hit by that wave of mediocrity, Hawkman made the best lemonade out of it and still found a way to tie it mostly into the core plot. Surprising, honestly. Doubly so when you learn that the book was cancelled three times so Venditti was well aware it could end at any time. In a lot of ways, that book's a little miracle.
    It was a greaat time really, Hawkman, John Constantine: Hellblazer and The Grenn Lantern. Two of those titles ended when the creators had so much to tell.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Jim Aparo cover to The Brave and The Bold #186.

BraveandtheBold186.jpg