View Poll Results: Which Version Of Justice League Handled The Man Of Steel Best?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Theatrical Cut

15 29.41%
  • The Snyder Cut

36 70.59%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I sill say theatrical. With the addendum this is all relative, the theatrical cut still sucks. But at the very least, the dude had a flair of optimism behind him finally. He remains overly dark in the Snyder Cut, and it would only get moreso had the sequels happened. It shouldn't take three films to get the character to actually be his character. Comparing the two movies overall the Snyder Cut is better. But Superman individually doesn't benefit from it at all, other than what little story he has being more coherent.
    I don’t see how he stays dark in one but not the other. The suit? The lighting lol?

They emphasized the fact that he was the great hope. He was practically All Might in the Snydercut where the villains started ramping up because they knew the symbol of peace was gone. That whole ending (if you dismiss a dream...) with Superman had a more upbeat Superman who was confident in his abilities and enjoying the fact that he’s back. Not that the theoretical cut didn’t do this but it definitely didn’t highlight how the loss of Superman effected characters like Lois or emphasized his importance of being on Earth. To scare alien invaders like Steppenwolf away.

Incredible Member

I liked the Synder Cut better. Though his resurrection in either seems iffy to me. In the comic book, it was explicitly stated Supermn wasn't dead but in some sort of healing stasis. In both films, he's just dead and gets revived/re-animated (Super-Zombie?).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    I liked the Synder Cut better. Though his resurrection in either seems iffy to me. In the comic book, it was explicitly stated Supermn wasn't dead but in some sort of healing stasis. In both films, he's just dead and gets revived/re-animated (Super-Zombie?).
    Definitely prefer the comics interpretation as well and the lack of explanation on the solar suit or showing him absorbing solar radiation was a missed opportunity.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Definitely prefer the comics interpretation as well and the lack of explanation on the solar suit or showing him absorbing solar radiation was a missed opportunity.
    There is a statement by aquaman "life either exists or not.To or not to be.It can't be both".The fact that superman could be revived means that he might have not been dead.
    edit-man! i didn't expect the poll result.Guess,the otherside is larger.

No offense to anyone.But,The portrayal in theatrical cut just came of as fake to me.I know it was an attempt to go "Superman is corny and cool".But,that's not the superman i am familiar with nor can i stand it..Even donner's corny whiteknight superman just didn't evoke that feeling in me of bad.Though,My kinda superman plays with butterflies on a cornfield and winks at the camera

Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-21-2021 at 10:56 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

OP Question -

Snyder Cut, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    The World. The whole plot of the motherboxes reactivating we’re because of his death and before someone says Supes does more harm for being on Earth. If his rocket ship never landed the motherboxes probably would of A.) Woken up earlier B.) Woken up in current time possibly anywhere from when Superman was suppose to have arrived up until when Steppenwolf did. They were weakened and taking time to awake. The only reason it said they didn’t send out a signal sooner was because of Superman’s presence on Earth. Which kind of symbolizes him as Earth’s protector.
    I saw some people missing the fact that Silas "woke up" first motherbox and then they stayed silent because they sensed Superman.

In theory it could be argued that maybe if Superman never appeared then Silas would have never gotten an opportunity to work with the motherbox, but I feel like thats stretching things way too far. If not Silas then maybe someone like Luthor would have picked it up at some point and poked at it.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There is a statement by aquaman "life either exists or not.To or not to be.It can't be both".The fact that superman could be revived means that he might have not been dead.
    edit-man! i didn't expect the poll result.Guess,the otherside is larger.

No offense to anyone.But,The portrayal in theatrical cut just came of as fake to me.I know it was an attempt to go "Superman is corny and cool".But,that's not the superman i am familiar with nor can i stand it..Even donner's corny whiteknight superman just didn't evoke that feeling in me of bad.Though,My kinda superman plays with butterflies on a cornfield and winks at the camera

There's also the whole floating dirt thing at the tail end of BvS hinting at the fact Kal wasn't completely dead.

Speaking of which, I was a bit disappointed that the codex thread wasn't picked up on as perhaps being the reason Supes could have returned from the dead. I always assumed that would be a part of the Snyder cut as an explanation why and how using the mother box to resurrect Clark would even work, and that Whedon cut it not wanting a direct to tie back to Snyders movies. As it turns out it wasn't even touched on at all,at least not in this movie. Perhaps it would have in later movies.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

As I understand Cyborg wasn't dead either when Silas activated it. So I'd reason that nothing shown actually supports the idea that motherbox can bring someone back from death.

Incredible Member

I doubt this will change anyone's minds but I was curious on certain statistics for superman given that this is his supposedly five part arc, and according to this article: https://www.fromsuperheroes.com/post...and-here-s-why
    not only does he have less lines in batman vs superman but he has less lines then he theatrical cut despite it being 4 hours.

Still waiting for evidence he has an arc in these films folks. Because all I've seen so far is that his only accomplishments is getting Lois pregnant and forcing said offspring to become Batman which if that doesn't make you win the worst parent of the millennium award then I don't know what does.

Hard to say many lines when you are dead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Hard to say many lines when you are dead.
    That's the main reason why I will never fully understand why so many people crave for a live action adaptation of the Death and Return storyline.
    It starts with a mindless fight, the most juicy part takes place while Superman is dead and replaced by a bunch of other people, it ends with a fight.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    That's the main reason why I will never fully understand why so many people crave for a live action adaptation of the Death and Return storyline.
    It starts with a mindless fight, the most juicy part takes place while Superman is dead and replaced by a bunch of other people, it ends with a fight.
    Because the genre is built around fights and action?Honestly,why would anyone think that can't be the main reason a person enjoys these stories?Don't get me wrong i am not a fan of death and return.But I could watch an entire movie of superman just going around punching things.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Snyder Cut but they both left a lot to be desired IMHO.

I don't think Snyder ever had a truly good feel for Superman, which was why even after his resurrection he was still kept separated from the group for the majority of the movie. And his sequel hook had Superman turned evil and/or controlled by Darkseid.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I think people accept it in part because Superman plays the underdog role from the fight against Doomsday until he gets fully restored. I imagine a lot of filthy casuals who don't necessarily pay attention to Superman, particularly those who tune him out because they think he's OP, can get on board when they see Superman is literally in the fight for his life and can't rely on being faster, stronger, and tougher than his opponent. Also, as far as comic book superheroes go, Superman's quasi-death state is nearly as high stakes as it gets, and even though his eventual return is kind of a copout, you do have that emotional moment of loss. Add in the tearful goodbyes, and it checks off a lot of boxes for blockbuster-type stories.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if that's the only type of story where you can enjoy Superman, then you're not going to be too bothered if he's absent from much of the movie and he has minimal lines of dialogue.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 03-23-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Actually, that's not true. The comics (the original story as told in the 90's) explicitly stated he was dead-dead. The Eradicator even tells him "You were categorically deceased, Kal-El. Such a feat (resurrection) would not be possible again."

To my knowledge, I believe it was Judd Winick in "Under the Hood" who first made the retcon that Superman was in some sort of healing coma. But make no mistake, in the comics he was dead-dead.

As for which film handles him better, I vote Snyder Cut. Snyder's version through 3 films is my Post-Crisis Superman writ large on the big screen, and this was beautifully done. The moment in the farmhouse, where he remembers loving it there, is so incredibly well done. The butterfly symbolizing not only his rebirth, but his finally being at peace with the world around him, was also incredibly well done. The slight puff of freezing air on the axe made me shout out loud, as well as cutting off one of Steppenwolf's horns. It was great. In the theatrical, he inhaled deep before blowing cold air, here he just gives it a little blow...great stuff.

JL 3 would have shown (after they fixed the timeline and Lois lives) that Superman would unite the world under his symbol to fight Darkseid. Aquaman & Mera would have led the Atlanteans, Diana would lead the Amazon's, Flash & Cyborg would lead Man, and above them all leading the charge would have been Superman. Fulfilling the words of his 2 fathers, he would have "saved them all" as well as "stand proud in front of the human race." Would have been pretty cool, sucks that we'll never get it.
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 03-23-2021 at 01:17 PM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."