View Poll Results: Which Fate do you think is worse to see on your Favorite Hero?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get killed off in a pointless death?

5 29.41%
  • Have them turn evil for no apparent reason?

9 52.94%
  • Other

3 17.65%
    A bitter New Warriors fan MitchFox's Avatar

Default Which Fate On any Marvel Super Hero is Worse?

Now for the question....
    Regarding on your favorite hero in comics, which one do you think is worse to see their fates?

A) Seeing them get killed off in a pointless death?

B) Having them turn evil for no apparent reason?

C) Other?

As a fan of New Warriors, Outlawed angers me more than Civil War. It reeks of demonization and we don't get to see why they become antagonistic government stooges who arrest teenage superheroes. If the antagonistic New Warriors get retconned as brainwashed or replaced by LMDs/clones, then it would be fine. The problem is that since the New Warriors are C-List, it would take a longer time for another writer to retcon or redeem them.
    Last edited by MitchFox; 03-20-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    Tumblr: http://oxymitch.tumblr.com/

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post
    Now for the question....
    Regarding on your favorite hero in comics, which one do you think is worse to see their fates?

A) Seeing them get killed off in a pointless death?

B) Having them turn evil for no apparent reason?

C) Other?

As a fan of New Warriors, Outlawed angers me more than Civil War. It reeks of demonization and we don't get to see why they become antagonistic government stooges who arrest teenage superheroes. If the antagonistic New Warriors get retconned as brainwashed or replaced by LMDs/clones, then it would be fine. The problem is that since the New Warriors are C-List, it would take a longer time for another writer to retcon or redeem them.
    Who's on the New Warriors?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Other. All of the above.

IMO, there's never been a good death, and there's never been a good heel turn. Ever. Both things piss me off. Back in the day, Parallax caused me to boycott all of DC until Hal returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Justice, Speedball, and Timeslip are now working as C.R.A.D.L.E. with Dum Dum Dugan (and others), locking up superheroic teens.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 03-20-2021 at 02:31 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

In Outlawed storyline, the New Warriors characters who appeared in Eve Ewing's Champions were Justice, Speedball, Timeslip and Silhouette. The rest of the New Warriors (Night Thrasher, Namorita, Firestar and Rage) are from the unreleased Kibblesmith's New Warriors comic (also a tie-in to Outlawed) which we never see in the light of the day due to the backlash it received.

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

Mods, please delete my double post. It's an error
    Last edited by MitchFox; 03-20-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Ultimate Member

In Outlawed storyline, the New Warriors characters who appeared in Eve Ewing's Champions were Justice, Speedball, Timeslip and Silhouette. The rest of the New Warriors (Night Thrasher, Namorita, Firestar and Rage) are from the unreleased Kibblesmith's New Warriors comic (also a tie-in to Outlawed) which we never see in the light of the day due to the backlash it received.
    Ok. I know of those characters but I've never read New Warriors. Should I check it out?

Ok. I know of those characters but I've never read New Warriors. Should I check it out?
    You should read the 90s New Warriors by Fabian Nicieza (and Evan Skolnick). For modern comics, you can try the 2014 New Warriors by Chris Yost.

Ultimate Member

You should read the 90s New Warriors by Fabian Nicieza (and Evan Skolnick). For modern comics, you can try the 2014 New Warriors by Chris Yost.
    Ok, thanks

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

For me it is the pointless death. Most of the time it is just used to prop up a bad writers new villain by showing how "evil" they are by killing off characters people like. The really stupid part is that 99% of the time those heroes are brought back latter on anyway so all that was really accomplished was pissing off the fan base. Bendis killed off Alpha Flight to prop up a villain who no one cared about and still don't. There was no real fallout from it either which just makes the death even more pointless.

When a character is killed there has to be fallout and reactions. When Guardian was killed in the first Alpha Flight series there was fallout for years afterwards. When a character is killed and then just forgotten within a few issues it shows it was just done for shock value. If your going to kill a character, especially one you didn't create and that has been around for many years, then there had better be some follow up dammit.

When death is has no meaning it just cheapens it. That is a big reason the X-books are all such a trash now. No one is dead, and never will be as long as they have magical mystery plot device island around. It makes the book have no stakes.

Astonishing Member

Deaths are easily reversible in comics. Character assassination can take decades to undo. Just ask Hal or Wanda.

Mighty Member

Having them turn evil for no apparent reason: PYMTRON.

Irrelevancy.

10 char
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!