View Poll Results: Do You Wish The Snyder Cut Was Canon?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

27 42.86%
  • No.

36 57.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

No!

I'm only halfway through and though this may be the best thing he has done in the DCEU, it's still largely pretty damn terrible - if not without its more enjoyable moments. The change of direction introduced in WW was much needed and this self-indulgent, self-serious, boring, bombastic, badly assembled, ugly looking trainwreck is only further proof of that. Snyder is just not a good filmmaker, as far as I'm concerned, and I genuinely don't see the appeal of what he brings to the table.

Edit: Just realized I didn't answer about it being "canon" or not. Obviously, I don't know yet if there are major differences between the two cuts of the film in terms of the ultimate plot but, honestly, the canon of the DCEU never really got off the ground so unless they reboot the whole thing around Gadot's Wonder Woman, they should just allow everything to stand alone. They tried to be the MCU without putting in their due diligence and, unsurprisingly, they haven't come within a million miles of matching its success.
    Last edited by Ilan Preskovsky; 03-20-2021 at 09:09 PM.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

This movie was better than most of the other DCEU movies, but I don't see what making this one canon really does for anyone.The minor plot differences don't really add anything.

I suppose it gives Barry some more precedent for his powers in his own film.

Cyborg is better served, though by restoring this canon he loses his dad. But that's a dead end anyway.

Mera loses her father, which is useless. I liked him even though I think Aquaman wasn't really good.

I don't think I want to see this knightmare vision. I'd rather see Cavill in a MOS 2 type movie. I'd be down to see Snyder do a Brainiac movie or something, but that's irrelevant to whether this is canon.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    About the only thing I’d want to see continued is justice league vs. the legion of doom.
    I'd love to see that, though they kept that teaser in the theatrical cut. Even more explicitly actually. "A league of our own."

One thing I am interested in is whether Ava DuVernay takes any tips from this vision of the Apokaliptan New Gods. They've stated she has complete freedom to do her own thing, which is good, but I don't think it would hurt to take a few hints from this one and make the two visions somewhat compatible. If fans think Snyder Cut Darkseid is in her film, it can only be good right? Though I just as easily wouldn't mind if Desaad were human-looking and a different Steppenwolf appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    this self-indulgent, self-serious, boring, bombastic, badly assembled, ugly looking trainwreck is only further proof of that.
    Do you really think it's that bad? lol

Honestly, both versions are interchangeable. Neither version corrects the terrible planning and development of the DC movie universe at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Do you really think it's that bad? lol
    I kind of think that of a large percentage of Snyder's work... of his DCEU stuff, this is easily the best and most entertaining. It is still rubbish, though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Yes I do think it should be canon HOWEVER, I’m not a huge fan of a lot his proposed plans moving forward. They should have just let him finish his trilogy without massacring it and then quietly course corrected.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    No. This was just a much longer, darker, and more action-oriented slog. And knowing the proposed directions for the sequel, it would only get way, way worse.
    Agreed, I really hope WB doesn't cave into this dark direction again because of a loud group fans.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

No because it does not change the fact that Snyder still doesn't get DC especially Superman. His Flash is still a mess and his Cyborg looks like a Bay Transformer. I hope those that were looking forward to this are happy and got what they wanted, but for the love of god just let it go now and let some better filmakers with better ideas take over.

To me Snyder is like Singer when he ran the X-Men movies. They had about one good movie in them (Man of Steel for Snyder and X2 for Singer) and the rest have all just be diminishing returns. When a director doesn't understand what fans like about a property to let them continue to make their "vision" of it just becomes a mess.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Agreed, I really hope WB doesn't cave into this dark direction again because of a loud group fans.
    If that was the case we wouldn't be here in the FIRST place.

Well, I just finished it and though the final act was actually much improved, the epilogue cemented just why I don't want more from Snyder. I really don't like the direction he was going, which seems to basically just be Injustice.

Nope.

Lets finally move on.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Speaking as someone who has been critical of Snyder, not only should it be considered canon but they need to let Snyder move forward with his planned sequels and hopefully Man of Steel 2.
    As someone who has read his sequel plans I sincerely hope they don’t.

Yes, the plans have been tweaked but, based on all his recent interviews, they haven’t been changed. The Bruce/Lois stuff is gone and we get to the Knightmare (ugh) sooner, but all the broad strokes remain the same and those plans were not good.
    Last edited by ChrisLyne; 03-21-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If we get more, it will be fine if it's its own self contained thing. But I'd rather other movies not be beholden to anything in it.