Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I only want to remember select information, the one I'm interested in, such as everyone's ages when I wanna make a timeline, otherwise other people have made wiki and blogs and I just look at them when I need refresher. I don't even bookmark them. I don't even retain information when I make my timeline once I lost interest in it, and do the research all over again.

For me talking with other people about them helps.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I use this as an indicator of when I should drop a book. If I can't remember what happened last issue, it's gone.
    I somewhat agree with this. With the exception that a re-read can be helpful.

I seemed to enjoy the JLI the most when I read it back in the '80s because it and its spin-offs were all I bought.
    So I would re-read issues a day or two before the new comics came out.
    I would also regularly pull out the whole run and flip through issues (this is back before comic bags became a thing for me, so it was easier to do this then).

If you can't remember what happened last issue, either the writer isn't doing a good enough job or you just weren't all that interested in the comic.
    Maybe if you were more interested in the story or the characters you would've felt a desire to re-read or review the issue again before the next issue came out.
    If you don't feel that desire, or you just can't fit it in because too many other comics need reading, maybe it is time to either let it go or reduce the number of comics bought so you can re-read them once in a while.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    For me talking with other people about them helps.
    Same.

I also just re-read run I like a lot.

i own every handbook who's who fact files encyclopedia and read them over and over and over

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    i own every handbook who's who fact files encyclopedia and read them over and over and over
    Heh. I wish everyone working at DC would

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

There are some runs I just read over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't. Re-reading helps. So does discussing it with others, repetition helps retain information. The convenience of the internet also means less priority on remembering and recalling stuff, since you can always look up something.
    My memory isn't as good as it used to be so I re-read as well. I only dump comics when I stop enjoying them.

Over the last 10-15 years, I've had to rely on reading the previous issue right before I read the new issue that came out. My brain just can't remember all of the previous issue, so essentially I read every issue twice. It works, I like it.

I used to have a really good memory so it wasn't an issue. Then I had a long battle with Lyme disease and I completely lost my short-term memory in what seems like a permanent way. It's not uncommon with Lyme.

Since losing my large collection twice, once to fire and once to water, I no longer collect them; I just buy them to read them. And it's difficult for me to keep them in order. That, combined with brain fog, combined with a general lack of space, conspired to move to me to digital, a thing I never wanted to do and still feel badly about because I'd prefer to support my LCS. (I still buy the floppies on very special occasions like The Other History of the DCU.)

The thing about digital though is that it doesn't take up space and when I can't remember the prior issue (which is almost always) I can pull it up easily on comixology. It's just too convenient a system for me to do it otherwise anymore. Now I know where all of my comics are. I'd much prefer to read them in physical floppies but I'd never retain information, like you asked.

So that's my answer. I almost always read the prior issue before reading the new one. And now, finally, I know where to find it.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Staples and super glue.

But after half a century, things don't always stick like they used to.

Edit: But if you're talking about DC, long term memories don't matter because there will be a reboot soon.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 03-25-2021 at 03:00 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier