Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So....I take it no one has a better grasp of public domain law then?

"We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Each year after the statutory period passes, more Golden Age elements will enter the public domain. So when the clock strikes 12 midnight or wherever, public domain Superman won't be able to fly, but once the flying Superman stories enter the public domain, then public domain Superman can fly too. His Golden Age supporting cast will all enter public domain not long after as well. There are key details you'd have to research though, like Ma and Pa Kent had several different names before Jonathan and Martha were settled on. Also, it's not just the comics elements that will enter the public domain at some point, but also the radio show, Fleisher serials, etc. So elements introduced by those adaptations will be available for public use as well.

You could also use the Golden Age Superman as a supporting character for a new Superman, which is what DC themselves are doing with the Jon Kent title.

The Golden Age trademarks would still be protected, but you could put out a book with a poetic name, like "The Dawn Age" or something and just feature Superman on the cover.

I honestly can't wait for Superman and other DC/Marvel heroes to be public domain for use like in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I actually have a feeling there might be a glut of public domain material, and I think that's part of why DC is now investing in a new generation of heroes that they can copyright for the next few decades. I don't think it's altruism when it comes to diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I honestly can't wait for Superman and other DC/Marvel heroes to be public domain for use like in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I actually have a feeling there might be a glut of public domain material, and I think that's part of why DC is now investing in a new generation of heroes that they can copyright for the next few decades. I don't think it's altruism when it comes to diversity.
    Oh it's never about altruism. Not in the end. Nor should it be; altruism is for society and individuals, business is for profit and innovation. But I've had the same thought; the investment in newer characters does seem designed so DC can rely less on the original names. Makes me think that, perhaps, corporate interests might not push back too hard on public domain law when Mickey's time comes due. Perhaps the big people have decided it's not worth the bad PR, or that they'd likely lose any legal action. Or that firm trademark control is enough of a limitation to keep others from biting into the profits.

Could another publisher use the original Golden Age "S" (on covers and/or within the page) or would that still be protected under DC trademark? Otherwise publishers are making their own shields, right? As for names, Thor is public domain and Marvel seems satisfied just putting "Marvel's Thor" on packages and such. Could the same be done for a Superman or Batman? "BOOM!'s Superman" has a nice ring to it right? Otherwise I'd try to work "Action" into the title, just to be a putz. "The Man of Action" or something goofy like that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Superman in the public domain would be akin to Sherlock Holmes. Superman already has a large wealth of homages and pastiches that it's like he's just ready for the public domain. Supes being in the public domain equals good for me. But, WB won't let that happen.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 08-18-2021 at 09:14 AM.