Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    That's fine, I don't really have a bone in this fight other than that the more expensive they make monthlies the more they price out young kids and teenagers from collecting them. (which would eventually mean less titles all round)

It's all good, personally I'd be fine with graphic novels as opposed to monthlies, no argument from me, but the comic shop is still DC's bread and butter.
    Kids buy more graphic novels and manga styled books anyways - for a whole story arc they're actually cheaper than collecting all the single issues of a story, so easier on an allowance.

And it might still be DC's bread and butter, but it's a smaller and smaller market. If they can break into the more lucrative book market outside the comic shop they can skip bread and butter for steak and potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Kids buy more graphic novels and manga styled books anyways - for a whole story arc they're actually cheaper than collecting all the single issues of a story, so easier on an allowance.

And it might still be DC's bread and butter, but it's a smaller and smaller market. If they can break into the more lucrative book market outside the comic shop they can skip bread and butter for steak and potatoes.
    No argument from me there. (I was actually dragged back into this thread with someone else quoting me in a long diatribe, so prefer to leave this thread behind)

If they can expand the market outside the comic shop that is a good thing, but they still need to be able to compete with Marvel on the shelves in the shops, otherwise they will continue to fall behind and always remain second tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    No argument from me there. (I was actually dragged back into this thread with someone else quoting me in a long diatribe, so prefer to leave this thread behind)

If they can expand the market outside the comic shop that is a good thing, but they still need to be able to compete with Marvel on the shelves in the shops, otherwise they will continue to fall behind and always remain second tier.
    Not too drag you in the thread much further if you want out, but just curious: Why does DC need to compete with Marvel on the comic shop shelves to not fall behind further? Why couldn't the stuff released in book stores/Amazon/further expanded marketplaces push them ahead?

Not too drag you in the thread much further if you want out, but just curious: Why does DC need to compete with Marvel on the comic shop shelves to not fall behind further? Why couldn't the stuff released in book stores/Amazon/further expanded marketplaces push them ahead?
    But individual issues can be the best way for people to sample something before deciding to spend the money on a more expensive collected edition. Also, if there are single issues of other series that tie-in to a story that somebody is reading/collecting, do they want to buy the collected edition of that series when they are really only interested in a single issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But individual issues can be the best way for people to sample something before deciding to spend the money on a more expensive collected edition.
    Wednesday Warriors/floppy comic book collectors sure, but I don't think there's much if any evidence customers outside that model do so. Plus you're not taking into account that what you're suggesting involves going to the comic book shop - the wider audience we're talking about in the book-and-online market aren't going to do that, so you need to add shipping and handling costs into the equation which doesn't make it that much of a cheap option to get a "sample". For that sort of customer it makes more sense to look up reviews and sample pages already available online.

Also, if there are single issues of other series that tie-in to a story that somebody is reading/collecting, do they want to buy the collected edition of that series when they are really only interested in a single issue?
    In the OGN/one-shot/mini-series model that a more bookstore/YA/Kids/Women/Amazon/Scholastic market where the really big money is and where AT&T and WB are likely wanting to push DC towards those single tie in issues just don't even exist. I think you keep trying to equate that more lucrative market with the current model, but they're just not the same. If they move away from the single issue monthly ongoing, then the single issue monthly ongoings don't exist to ask questions about. It's a shift away from the current model, which is diminishing and has been since the 90's and is just too small potatoes for AT&T and is frankly unsustainable, and no one has a great idea to switch it around, and moving towards a model and market that is already far more lucrative and is indeed a growing market.

Wednesday Warriors/floppy comic book collectors sure, but I don't think there's much if any evidence customers outside that model do so. Plus you're not taking into account that what you're suggesting involves going to the comic book shop - the wider audience we're talking about in the book-and-online market aren't going to do that, so you need to add shipping and handling costs into the equation which doesn't make it that much of a cheap option to get a "sample". For that sort of customer it makes more sense to look up reviews and sample pages already available online.

In the OGN/one-shot/mini-series model that a more bookstore/YA/Kids/Women/Amazon/Scholastic market where the really big money is and where AT&T and WB are likely wanting to push DC towards those single tie in issues just don't even exist. I think you keep trying to equate that more lucrative market with the current model, but they're just not the same. If they move away from the single issue monthly ongoing, then the single issue monthly ongoings don't exist to ask questions about. It's a shift away from the current model, which is diminishing and has been since the 90's and is just too small potatoes for AT&T and is frankly unsustainable, and no one has a great idea to switch it around, and moving towards a model and market that is already far more lucrative and is indeed a growing market.
    I never get bored of the fantasy booking post. Everyone knows the inside scoop on the business.. It's so cringe and so yummy..

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Also publishing bunch of books with "Batman" as a title. There is no real definitive Batman in DC anymore since he has become a protagonist that can appear in any kind of story that they want to sell. Even the mainline Batman book is used to promote other characters more than to tell the story of the protagonist.
    “Has become”?? He’s been that way for at least 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I never get bored of the fantasy booking post. Everyone knows the inside scoop on the business.. It's so cringe and so yummy..
    1. I'm glad it amuses you. Fans love speculation, so if it didn't, that'd be weird, but ...
    2. You don't have to be an ass.
    3. I've never posed as an expert or stated my opinions as fact.
    4. And it's not like I'm saying some weird ass pie in the sky **** either.

Edit: Seriously, there's a hundred ways to disagree with someone without being smug condescending about it. If you're not capable of just stating "I disagree" and listing your opinions civily, I kindly ask you to go bugger off please.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 04-04-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Ultimate Member

They don't. They seriously DON'T.

Because Marvel is not worried about the comic book shelves nor should they since those stores have been just as hostile to them as they have been to DC over certain books.

But individual issues can be the best way for people to sample something before deciding to spend the money on a more expensive collected edition. Also, if there are single issues of other series that tie-in to a story that somebody is reading/collecting, do they want to buy the collected edition of that series when they are really only interested in a single issue?
    Problem with this is-that book in question has to be at the comic book store. Remember everyone is at the mercy of that store owner. If a store owner does not care for Ms marvel, Squirrel Girl, Valiant Comics or Bad Idea Comics-he can choose to NOT sell them.

Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, Half Price Books and other do NOT care if a manager hates Ms Marvel or Squirrel Girl. If they send copies to that store-he better sell them of they will find someone who will.

If they move away from the single issue monthly ongoing, then the single issue monthly ongoings don't exist to ask questions about.
    You can still have single issues.

Every issue should be a complete story. A trade should be a collection of 6-12 issues.

You still address the Wednesday Warrior and have stuff for Amazon and Barnes & Nobles.

And that would help the likes of Grifter, Cyborg, Vixen and Firestorm more than Batman.

Because all this REALLY boils down to is folks not wanting certain books made.

Amazon and others say there is a market for Raven, Beast Boy and others.

Direct says there is NOT.

AT&T needs to go with the one who is more OPEN to a diverse field versus worshipping one guy.

SO if that mean guys like Jaime Reyes NEVER sniff a book in the direct market again-so be it. Let Batman have it. Give Jaime the other market.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You can still have single issues.

Every issue should be a complete story. A trade should be a collection of 6-12 issues.

You still address the Wednesday Warrior and have stuff for Amazon and Barnes & Nobles.

And that would help the likes of Grifter, Cyborg, Vixen and Firestorm more than Batman.

Because all this REALLY boils down to is folks not wanting certain books made.

Amazon and others say there is a market for Raven, Beast Boy and others.

Direct says there is NOT.

AT&T needs to go with the one who is more OPEN to a diverse field versus worshipping one guy.

SO if that mean guys like Jaime Reyes NEVER sniff a book in the direct market again-so be it. Let Batman have it. Give Jaime the other market.
    I disagree that every issue should be a complete story. I'm not against single issue stories by any stretch, but there's just a lot of good stories that can't be told in a single issue. As for the rest, I agree wholeheartedly - if comic book shops won't stock certain comic book characters, find somewhere else that will.

I disagree that every issue should be a complete story. I'm not against single issue stories by any stretch, but there's just a lot of good stories that can't be told in a single issue. As for the rest, I agree wholeheartedly - if comic book shops won't stock certain comic book characters, find somewhere else that will.
    That last part may be easier said than done these days.
    Where else are you going to find places that want to sell single-issues of comic books or even collected versions? Both Marvel and DC gave up on making single issue comic books available for newsstand distribution here in the U.S. because in the long run it wasn't worth it to those companies, and how many chain stores have reduced their overall magazine selections over the years because they were more of a hassle and not bringing in enough profit?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That last part may be easier said than done these days.
    Where else are you going to find places that want to sell single-issues of comic books or even collected versions? Both Marvel and DC gave up on making single issue comic books available for newsstand distribution here in the U.S. because in the long run it wasn't worth it to those companies, and how many chain stores have reduced their overall magazine selections over the years because they were more of a hassle and not bringing in enough profit?
    Again, I think that they're moving away from single issues. I was kind of responding to two things they said - yes, I disagree that single issues (while they're still a thing) shouldn't be limited to doing a full story per issue, yes I think DC needs to get around comic book shops to market some characters - but I think single issues are going to be phased out, and certainly that the books going to other distributors/marketplaces won't be single-issues. They'll be OGNs.

1. I'm glad it amuses you. Fans love speculation, so if it didn't, that'd be weird, but ...
    2. You don't have to be an ass.
    3. I've never posed as an expert or stated my opinions as fact.
    4. And it's not like I'm saying some weird ass pie in the sky **** either.

Edit: Seriously, there's a hundred ways to disagree with someone without being smug condescending about it. If you're not capable of just stating "I disagree" and listing your opinions civily, I kindly ask you to go bugger off please.
    I disagree with this post. This is number 49 in the disagree playbook. You're not an expert, glad you can see that. Next, stop. Next, cringe. Next lmao. Next, still lmao. Next, ignore list. Next, kind of sad I won't see the cringe.

I disagree ... Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I disagree with this post. This is number 49 in the disagree playbook. You're not an expert, glad you can see that. Next, stop. Next, cringe. Next lmao. Next, still lmao. Next, ignore list. Next, kind of sad I won't see the cringe.

I disagree ... Lol...
    Yeah, you have nothing to add of any value, so...

And thus the ignore feature proves useful yet again!