Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default DC milks its cash cow Batman to the last drop

Stop buying Batman books. Let DC die for their greed and stupidity.

Astonishing Member

It's not their fault that their parent company is 180 billion in debt and fired a good chunk of DC's senior staff as a means for cost-cutting. It's pretty clear doubling down on Batman and raising prices is the new management trying to squeeze money out of the publishing unit. DC got screwed by this corporate buyout. There is no upside for the rank and file since anyone that costs too much is deemed redundant as a whole chunk of the publishing unit found out.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 03-21-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

The line is drawn for me. I won't buy a book that has a price tag over 5 $. It will kill the monthly industry even faster, and comic stores suffer the greatest deal with it. I hope that Indies get stronger and stronger and can keep a price of 3,99.

Didn't we already establish that it was likely a typo in the solicits and that the titles will remain $4.99 give that that's what's printed on the cover?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    It's pretty clear doubling down on Batman and raising prices is the new management trying to squeeze money out of the publishing unit.
    Also publishing bunch of books with "Batman" as a title. There is no real definitive Batman in DC anymore since he has become a protagonist that can appear in any kind of story that they want to sell. Even the mainline Batman book is used to promote other characters more than to tell the story of the protagonist.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 03-21-2021 at 05:57 PM.

They trimmed the line, but added back up stories on to these 5.99 books.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Didn't we already establish that it was likely a typo in the solicits and that the titles will remain $4.99 give that that's what's printed on the cover?
    Yep, especially since other books would have also raised to that price besides batman and joker, if that was really the case.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    They trimmed the line, but added back up stories on to these 5.99 books.
    Back up stories are written by those that have been recently hired and cant be laid off.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Also publishing bunch of books with "Batman" as a title. There is no real definitive Batman in DC anymore since he has become a protagonist that can appear in any kind of story that they want to sell. Even the mainline Batman book is used to promote other characters more than to tell the story of the protagonist.
    I'm not interested in buying the current Batman or Detective Comics.

However, I'm seriously thinking about trying Batman: The Detective, so having all these other Batman limited-series is beneficial to me since I'd really like to find a Batman title I'd like to buy / read.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm not interested in buying the current Batman or Detective Comics.

However, I'm seriously thinking about trying Batman: The Detective, so having all these other Batman limited-series is beneficial to me since I'd really like to find a Batman title I'd like to buy / read.
    There is also legends of the dark knight coming, which writers of some of the stories in the book say is in continuity while it seems like some clearly aren't...weird.

Look, AT&T didn't care one bit that they bought a publishing company, and largely doesn't care if that company goes belly up so long as they keep the rights for movies and streaming and merchandise. Which means if your line in the sand is just a bump in price, then not buying won't get them to lower it - it just means DC as a monthly comic book goes away forever.

And while many people are growing about all the Bat-related books coming out, the reality is that, for now at least, The Bat sells.

Not publishing various additional Batman-related titles does not automatically mean DC will suddenly add a new Atom series / a new Aquaman series / a new Green Arrow series / a new Hawkman series / a new Creeper series / a new Blue Beetle series to the line-up in place of any Batman limited series. And if DC just doesn't publish those additional Bat-books, that means less work / less $'s available to those writers and artists who don't have a regular on-going series gig.

Stop publishing Batman for a year or two lets who will take the top spot at DC or even make up that giant dip in revenue across all the comic shops, publisher arms, etc

People love to talk about Batman's dominance at DC but I have yet to see anyone bring up a solution to this problem outside of grumbling on the internet about DC not focusing attention on less successful characters which of course is not good business
    I most definitely will not be buying a Aquaman or even a Blue Beetle book that costs 6 dollars

It's time for the fans to finally push back on this though. Stop supporting 6 dollar books
    This is finally a bridge too far

Glad to see that everyone is taking their information from the headline and assuming the worst without any further research. But anything to **** on DC huh?

From what I can see, the price is only going up on titles like Batman and Joker for their variant covers. Their main covers still have the $4.99 price tags. If you want to criticise DC's price point then that's your prerogative (I actually agree btw), but misinformation without a credible evidence is something we should all be against.

Also, you're getting your information from Bleeding Cool and some Youtube outrage grifter? Cmon man.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    . . . People love to talk about Batman's dominance at DC but I have yet to see anyone bring up a solution to this problem outside of grumbling on the internet about DC not focusing attention on less successful characters which of course is not good business . . .
    Some people complain about the "dominance", but how many others are buying the books because they want to?