Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Magpie (Margaret Pye)

First appearance:

Man of Steel #3 (of 6)
    and also in

Batman #401 (November 1986),
    both of which were available August 7th, 1986.
    However, the Man of Steel story took place in the past.

And from Who's Who Update '87 Vol. 4 (November 1987),

I really thought this character was gonna do great things.

-sigh-

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Aside from her character design, she's not memorable. I usually remember things I read pretty well, I read Man of Steel last year and I already can't remember why she needs to be taken down by Batman and Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Aside from her character design, she's not memorable. I usually remember things I read pretty well, I read Man of Steel last year and I already can't remember why she needs to be taken down by Batman and Superman
    I always thought that Superman first came to Gotham City to investigate Batman, and Batman was the one trying to take her down. Superman aides Batman, which also gives Superman a chance to learn more about Batman.

Besides, we did get

Happy Birthday!

Mighty Member

I really liked the way Beware the Batman reinvented her, but DC has mostly used her as mostly a fodder villain since, only using the show's costume. It's like if DC took Mr. Freeze's costume from B:TAS, but still kept him as Mr. Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I always thought that Superman first came to Gotham City to investigate Batman, and Batman was the one trying to take her down. Superman aides Batman, which also gives Superman a chance to learn more about Batman.

Besides, we did get

Happy Birthday!
    That was such a great scene.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I really liked the way Beware the Batman reinvented her, but DC has mostly used her as mostly a fodder villain since, only using the show's costume. It's like if DC took Mr. Freeze's costume from B:TAS, but still kept him as Mr. Zero.
    Magpie was wonderful in Beware the Batman... she was legitimately mentally ill. And as a twisted version of Batman playing chess with Two Face, Batman visiting her in Arkham made her believe that they were lovers, thus she had to eliminate any female companion that Batman had as that was her competition. Something like THAT would be great for a comic storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I was introduced to her in that series and thought she was cool. Then I looked her up comic counterpart and though I misspelled her name somehow.

They're so different looking.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Magpie was wonderful in Beware the Batman... she was legitimately mentally ill. And as a twisted version of Batman playing chess with Two Face, Batman visiting her in Arkham made her believe that they were lovers, thus she had to eliminate any female companion that Batman had as that was her competition. Something like THAT would be great for a comic storyline.
    I’ve been thinking since that show aired that she should show up as a rival to Catwoman - one who unsettles Selina because of her illness while threatening to overwhelm her because of her actual superpowers. Her targeting Selina out of jealously about Batman could work to.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Retired

When these two comics came out, I was living in Alberta. Before coming to the States, John Byrne had lived most of his life in Alberta. Being new to Alberta, at first I didn't know what these birds were. They were everywhere and one of the few birds that stuck around through the harsh winters. Then I found out they were magpies. So when I saw John Byrne's Magpie, I instantly realized this was because he had seen so much of the birds during his own life. So for me Margaret Pye is Canadian. Margaret, wow! Now that's such a Canadian name--just about as Canadian as Gordon. I've had several Margarets in my life (including my dear grandma) and there's at least two famous Canadian authors named Margaret (both of whom I met when I was living in Alberta back then).

Those reprint pages in post #4 are so fugly. Not how they looked in the original comics. That's why I've come to hate the reprint books so much--they never do justice to the classic art that was produced for different paper stock and different printing. I only trust reprints for modern material, where the production is virtually the same for the original and the reprint.

I know her from Beware the Batman. She worked as a deconstruction or foil for Catwoman. So I would've just deaged her and use her as a foil for Robin in the Birds of Prey.

Have Cassie's real name be Margaret etc.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I think most recently she faced off against Batgirl.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

She faced Batgirl in Burnside, then Catwoman when carrying Bane's shipment of Venom.

Don't know after that

Astonishing Member

When I read her in Batman #401, I thought she had great potential. I could see her as a female Joker.

I must admit I preferred her in Beware the Batman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    When I read her in Batman #401, I thought she had great potential. I could see her as a female Joker.

I must admit I preferred her in Beware the Batman.
    Magpie.jpg Agreed, her design was amazing!!!