Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    IF this is true, it's the death of monthly comics.
    That...actually might be the plan. AT&T doesn't care for the monthly comics market - it's pennies. They barely care for the publishing arm to begin with, the comic books less so. It is only an IP farm. And it's an IP farm that could make more money if transitioned into the book market. They want that YA book market and such. This could just be putting the squeeze on the last few years of the monthly scene while they can/care to.

Is this becoming a QAnon-type site for bizarre comic book conspiracy theories?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    About what?

That monthly floppies may become replaced with graphic novels? That the YA and children's books are being targeted as more profitable?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

If the Bat-books really are going up to $6.00 permanently, then it's not really paranoia.
    Assassinate Putin!

DC is trying to attract a younger audience, so let's raise the price $6.00 to make buying a large amount of comics unaffordable...makes sense to me.

Small wonder why they are trimming their titles.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    DC is trying to attract a younger audience, so let's raise the price $6.00 to make buying a large amount of comics unaffordable...makes sense to me.

Small wonder why they are trimming their titles.
    Makes perfect sense if your objective is to phase out individual issues. Make it more of a hassle than it's worth. That's how they got people to stop smoking. Make it too much hassle by making it so you can't do it anywhere.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Makes perfect sense if your objective is to phase out individual issues. Make it more of a hassle than it's worth. That's how they got people to stop smoking. Make it too much hassle by making it so you can't do it anywhere.
    What's the gain from a financial standpoint then?

How is DC comics going to pay its creative team if they don't have stable revenue coming in each month from comic books.

How is DC comics going to pay its creative team if they don't have stable revenue coming in each month from comic books.
    Graphic Novels. YA novels. More lucrative book market.

The monthlies aren't so profitable in comparison to those other markets.

Astonishing Member

Heraclitus, a Greek philosopher, is quoted as saying "change is the only constant in life."

Maybe this change will be good.

I can't say I'm impressed how DC handled it's IPs. I can't say I'm impressed how WB handled it's IPs.

I can't blame AT&T for focusing on profits.

Good or bad, change will occur.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 03-27-2021 at 04:01 PM.

Complaining about capitalism is not at all analogous to joining an Internet death cult for lunatic Nazis, but go off, I guess.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

I see. I suppose it would cut down on shipping costs as well. Not a bad idea really from a business standpoint.

1. Take more cues from manga. 2. Hire cheaper creative teams, rely more on the characters and not creative teams. 3. Sell singles digitally and save on the printing costs for single issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Don't forget digital comics.

Ultimate Member

Nobody cared about that when folks like the gators were demanding books be axed because they featured certain demographics.

But because it's Batman-we are suppose to care?

Guess what those creative teams do-they have OTHER jobs. This is not a 9-5 job with benefits and health insurance and money getting put into social security.

This is contractor work. For some folks this is a side hustle.

David Walker teaches at a college as does Khary Randolph.

Bryan Hill left comics because he had tv and movie scripts to write.

Gene Luen Yang had college classes and puts out novels.

Some do Patreon and other crowd funding.

Like I said at the top-when you got folks (YES that includes STORE OWNERS) who don't want a book in their store for reasons BEYOND sales, Dc had to move BEYOND them.

The financial gain for DC is giving guys who would not be welcomed with solos to team books SHOTS.

Three of the top selling DC books to teens RIGHT now on Amazon are Nubia, Raven & Beast Boy.

Or if we look at Marvel on those charts-Wandavison and Falcon & Winter Solider are doing what so many said could not happen. Increase sales. Of older books mind you. I bet Marvel wish they had put out a new copy of Truth.

That doesn't happen if Marvel hadn't given shots to folks like Falcon and Winter Solider.

So what do you do you get that stuff out in whatever format you can to get that audience.

I love the how people think they understand the business side of things or what the company thinks or what they value. Literally No one except the people in charge knows those answers. It almost reminds me of the people who try to fantasy book wrestling matches. It's really hilarious.

Don't stop though. It's awesome!!