View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Hawkgirl?!

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shiera Hall

5 10.00%
  • Shayera Hol

33 66.00%
  • Kendra Saunders

12 24.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Legacy Showdown: Hawkgirl!!

With all the talk about the Hawks recently, I decided to resurrect an old idea I had for a thread pitting legacies against each other (previous ones being Green Lantern, El Diablo and Killer Frost). This time the three different (well two kind of, it’s complicated lol) are duking it out! Not only is Hawkgirl one of DC’s most prominent and iconic female characters, she’s also immensely popular, the question is, which one?
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

in terms of the comics, I prefer Kendra, but JL/JLU's Shayera is 100% my favorite Hawkgirl, period. fairly sure she's in my top 20 somewhere (I have to check my list); so I'm not sure who to vote.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-22-2021 at 12:06 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Shayera all the way.

0d94c6bdef58829619b58c19ceddc4d0--fictional-characters-batman.jpg

D--m1QzXYAE7z5H.jpg

Even if you ignore JLU and focus on the comics, she's had a stronger characterization even before they looped her into the reincarnation cycle.

Shayera by far. Her DCAU version was my introduction to the character and she instantly became one of my favourites. She also has some pretty good depictions in the comics between the Silver Age, Hawkworld and the recent Hawkman series.

Kendra is alright. I would've liked her much better if she was just Shiera's relative carrying her legacy instead of the whole "possessed by the soul of Shiera" nonsense. It made her needlessly convoluted and her relationship with Carter was frustrating and kinda creepy.

As much as I like Kendra in the comics because of the JSA, it will always be Shayera because of the Justice League animated series.

Not to mention Shayera just had a really good run in Vendetti's Hawkman run that basically makes her the main Hawkwoman alongside Carter and that was great to read so even then in the comics I actually think Shayera may have a leg up.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Shayera Hol simply based on the old animated series gets my vote.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

To make this truly fair / representative, you should have probably had more than just the three options.
    * Shiera Hall
    * Shayera Hol (pre-Hawkworld comic book version)
    * Shayera Thal (post-Hawkworld comic book version)
    * Shayera (DCU animated universe version)
    * Kendra Saunders

Early replies seem like its the cartoon / animated version beating out any of the comic book versions.

this isn't a fair poll. Shayera has a huge edge because of the cartoon.

Comics wise idk I guess whoever has been more prominent the last 15 years. Is that Kendra?
    The J-man

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    this isn't a fair poll. Shayera has a huge edge because of the cartoon.

Comics wise idk I guess whoever has been more prominent the last 15 years. Is that Kendra?
    Agreed. There are at least 4 interpretations of Shayera Thal. At least 2 of which have very serious fanbases. Not a fair fight.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Agreed. There are at least 4 interpretations of Shayera Thal. At least 2 of which have very serious fanbases. Not a fair fight.
    Shayera is just the superior character that’s why she’s winning

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Shayera is just the superior character that’s why she’s winning
    Um. No.

Shayera Thal is not one character.

It so happens that your favorite interpretation of Shayera Thal is harvesting votes from the others because The OP left no room for distinction among them. It could easily be the Silver/Bronze Age Hawkgirl that's drawing votes.

You've said on other threads that TimmJL Hawkgirl is your favorite, and that you were shocked to find she had any other interpretation. Hawkgirl has many interpretations beyond your favorite.

This poll happens to support your own preference.

ETA: my initial response very incorrectly assumed Samm was the OP.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 03-22-2021 at 09:13 PM.

I took the poll as 'looking at the overall canon of stories told with each character, which one do you like best'. I know the Hawks backstories are always shifting and changing and some stories are not canon anymore and others are alternate universes but which ones do you like best?

Shayera has: JLU, Hawkworld and it's subsequent ongoing, Legend of Hawkman, Rann/Thanagar War,

Kendra has: Return of Hawkman, the Hawkman (later briefly Hawkgirl) ongoing, Robinson's Earth 2, Snyder's Justice League, Legends of Tomorrow,

Yes different universes, different backstories but with some exceptions there is a common thread between them. Looking at their stories I would say the stories that feature Shayera are the strongest, imo. Robinson's Earth 2 was a big revamp of Kendra but imo, the fact that they gave some of Shayera's traits and personality to Kendra only speaks favorably of Shayera.

Shayera and Kendra have about an equal number of notable depictions in and outside of the comics, so the only one who's at a huge disadvantage here is Shiera.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I took the poll as 'looking at the overall canon of stories told with each character, which one do you like best'. I know the Hawks backstories are always shifting and changing and some stories are not canon anymore and others are alternate universes but which ones do you like best?

Shayera has: JLU, Hawkworld and it's subsequent ongoing, Legend of Hawkman, Rann/Thanagar War,

Kendra has: Return of Hawkman, the Hawkman (later briefly Hawkgirl) ongoing, Robinson's Earth 2, Snyder's Justice League, Legends of Tomorrow,

Yes different universes, different backstories but with some exceptions there is a common thread between them. Looking at their stories I would say the stories that feature Shayera are the strongest, imo. Robinson's Earth 2 was a big revamp of Kendra but imo, the fact that they gave some of Shayera's traits and personality to Kendra only speaks favorably of Shayera.
    The flaw I see in your analysis is that Timm-JLU, Hawkworld and Silver/Bronze Age Hawkgirl/woman have exactly three things in common: their names, using wings and coming from a place labeled as Thanagar. The personas and histories are all highly disparate.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The flaw I see in your analysis is that Timm-JLU, Hawkworld and Silver/Bronze Age Hawkgirl/woman have exactly three things in common: their names, using wings and coming from a place labeled as Thanagar. The personas and histories are all highly disparate.
    It’s called revamps, they’re essentially the same character and it would make no sense to split them up just to give Kendra or Shiera an edge, whom by the way have all their versions included as well.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!