Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If there is/was a hierarchy to the Bat-fam (or Bat-Army), I think it would go like this:

1. Bruce (with Alfred being direct support/counsel and Jim Gordon being the official law enforcement liaison/ally)
    2. Dick (Bruce's second, and the one to step in and take over, if need be)
    3. Barbara, Tim, and Jason -- all more or less are on equal ground
    4. All the new kids -- Harper/Bluebird, eventually, Lark, Spoiler, etc.

I'd imagine that Babs, Tim, and Jason could certainly be considered captains, compared to the likes of Bluebird, Lark and Spoiler.

U guys ever hear how Morrison sees Dick/Bruce's relationship? He talked about in a Fatman pod cast, and they way he put it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    U guys ever hear how Morrison sees Dick/Bruce's relationship? He talked about in a Fatman pod cast, and they way he put it was amazing.
    Never heard that one, Godlike. Could you paraphrase it for us, or link it?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post

This is the one that came to mind. Is this what you're talking about?

I really love how the whole Dick/Bruce liberté, égalité, fraternité relationship is becoming really front and center. However I really like when Bruce has a paternal relation with Grayson which is being lost due to the decrease in age difference. I also enjoy the paternal relationship between the characters as it creates a parallel between Alfred and Bruce's relationship with Bruce and Dick's relationship. This parallelism also dissolves this hierarchical relationship that is being mentioned by other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    I love to play the clip for people prior to them reading Grant Morrison's Batbooks as the quote "All of this is me..." really defines what is so groundbreaking and interesting about his take on the character.

Q: What time is it?
    A: Hypertime!
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-22-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Thats it . He just puts it so elegantly.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-22-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I really love how the whole Dick/Bruce liberté, égalité, fraternité relationship is becoming really front and center. However I really like when Bruce has a paternal relation with Grayson which is being lost due to the decrease in age difference. I also enjoy the paternal relationship between the characters as it creates a parallel between Alfred and Bruce's relationship with Bruce and Dick's relationship.
    I think you can still see it there, in some ways. After all, the relationship between brothers widely separated in age can be extremely complicated. In the beginning it can have strong paternal overtones, then the more traditional brotherly stuff comes in, then it can end as equals and best friends. But, to circle back to the Morrison stuff Godlike pointed us to, ALL of it is still there. All of it is still them. Dick is still Bruce's son, and his brother, and his confidante, and his best friend, and his heir. It's just that the history has gotten thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    I think you can still see it there, in some ways. After all, the relationship between brothers widely separated in age can be extremely complicated. In the beginning it can have strong paternal overtones, then the more traditional brotherly stuff comes in, then it can end as equals and best friends. But, to circle back to the Morrison stuff Godlike pointed us to, ALL of it is still there. All of it is still them. Dick is still Bruce's son, and his brother, and his confidante, and his best friend, and his heir. It's just that the history has gotten thicker.
    I still see the paternal bond as well but it doesn't seem as prominent. I just am sad that it isn't played up because it is one of the aspects of the characters relationship that I really enjoy. But as I said in my original post I am all for the fraternal bond that has developed between Dick and Bruce it feels as if it is a natural extension of their earlier partnership.

It also seems to have become the status quo after Dick's time under the mantle which was potentially my favourite time as a Batman fan (other than watching B:TAS and Batman '66 as a kid) so I am really happy that it persists.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-22-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

That whole thing was amazing, but yeah, specifically how Grant says that Bruce and Dick see each other -- fantastic.

Astonishing Member

I cracked the **** up listening to this.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory