Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

I wonder if they will bring back Sapna. Her powerset might be a possible back-up for Doug. I liked Red Lotus, even though he was only in a few issues of the X-titles. Wish he was less stereotypical in terms of powers though. Also, not sure if any of Austen's Eight Immortals were mutants, I just remember the ridiculous guy with the swords for legs. Orientalism is still an issue with Marvel's characters, even if there is multi-media representation (from the Mandarin and a lot of Iron Man, the Ancient One and Iron Fist) but there are a few great/fun exceptions like Yukio in the comics and in The Wolverine.

I wonder if Dr. Droom/Dr. Druid counts as Asian. I thought Psylocke was the first but this is so cringe-y: https://www.cbr.com/doctor-droom-asian-superhero/

Editorial's salty hate for Neal Shaara is something that I've gotten over but they couldn't have included Trinary and/or Indra in the Hellfire Gala? There was so much potential to pull off a couple of stunning Indian avant garde looks.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    I wonder if Dr. Droom/Dr. Druid counts as Asian. I thought Psylocke was the first but this is so cringe-y: https://www.cbr.com/doctor-droom-asian-superhero/
    Droom was a British Caucasian guy turned Asian. Druid is still Caucasian.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Droom was a British Caucasian guy turned Asian. Druid is still Caucasian.
    Nice, just like Betsy now.

The hilarious part of that Droom article is where he can "feel" his eyes slanting. We're talking about a millimeter of skin in the corner of the eye that doesn't affect vision in any way. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Nice, just like Betsy now.

The hilarious part of that Droom article is where he can "feel" his eyes slanting. We're talking about a millimeter of skin in the corner of the eye that doesn't affect vision in any way. Lol
    Droom came before Psylocke
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Editorial's salty hate for Neal Shaara is something that I've gotten over but they couldn't have included Trinary and/or Indra in the Hellfire Gala? There was so much potential to pull off a couple of stunning Indian avant garde looks.
    With Angel and Monet and Madrox showing up to the Gala, it's possible that Trinary may still make a cameo, being the fourth confirmed X-Corper.

And yes, just about anything Avasarala wears in the Expanse show would look great on Trinary! Just take it to 11!

We are getting age of apocalypse style sunspot, so needless to say, i am mega hyped.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I would not mind seeing Neal return. He just needs to be brushed off and given a new name. Maybe some power additions. I know people hate that but he was seen as the generic plasma/fire guy and the complaints that he is a poor mans Havok or Sunfire or Firestar would go away. I admit I didn't care for the characters backstory and thought his using the name Thunderbird was kinda... eh. But there is no need to waste a character. He just has to be refashioned. Now... I don't want him to be unrecognizable, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I would not mind seeing Neal return. He just needs to be brushed off and given a new name. Maybe some power additions. I know people hate that but he was seen as the generic plasma/fire guy and the complaints that he is a poor mans Havok or Sunfire or Firestar would go away. I admit I didn't care for the characters backstory and thought his using the name Thunderbird was kinda... eh. But there is no need to waste a character. He just has to be refashioned. Now... I don't want him to be unrecognizable, of course.
    His original name was going to be Agni which is so much better. Don't know what happened behind the scenes at the last minute when they decided to saddle him with Thunderbird III.

They can revamp him as becoming a Bollywood actor after taking a break from the X-Men. Krakoa needs more PR friendly mutants. I know that the Eternals film is doing this for Kingo but wasn't Kingo Japan based in the comics? Has Gillen's new rebooted series race-swapped him to be South Asian to comply with the movie's portrayal?

Sunfire!!!

Ultimate Member

His original name was going to be Agni which is so much better. Don't know what happened behind the scenes at the last minute when they decided to saddle him with Thunderbird III.
    Agni's a fire god, so, suitable, but there's like a *billion* Hindu out there, so naming a superhero after one of their gods could come across as a bit 'eh.'

But Garuda's a big bird used as a vehicle by the gods, and not a god himself, AFAIK, and even associated with fire, sometimes, and would possibly work instead. Or any of the Hindu words for flame (jyoti), inferno (narak), blaze (jvaala), bonfire (holika), ember (angaar), etc.

Thunderbird is just way off, he's from India, not Grand Lake O' the Cherokees! (Plus he has nothing to do with thunder!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Agni's a fire god, so, suitable, but there's like a *billion* Hindu out there, so naming a superhero after one of their gods could come across as a bit 'eh.'
    Umm... Indra is also a God. Agni also just means 'fire' in Hindi and Sanskrit. That's where Avatar: The Last Airbender's "agni kai" comes from.

Ultimate Member

Umm... Indra is also a God. Agni also just means 'fire' in Hindi and Sanskrit. That's where Avatar: The Last Airbender's "agni kai" comes from.
    Yeah, and Paras Gavaskar being named Indra is probably also a bit culturally insensitive, just as it would be if the Avengers had Fightin' Jesus and Jehovah-Man.

(That said, actual people can be named Indra, just as there are lots of real people with the first name Jesus, but it just seems polite to use one of the 5,000 or so words that *aren't* the names of people's gods for our superhero codenames.)

They can revamp him as becoming a Bollywood actor after taking a break from the X-Men. Krakoa needs more PR friendly mutants. I know that the Eternals film is doing this for Kingo but wasn't Kingo Japan based in the comics? Has Gillen's new rebooted series race-swapped him to be South Asian to comply with the movie's portrayal?
    I... kinda like this. So the X-Men version of Wonder Man?

But yea, I'd appreciate maybe a secondary mutation or something. I just made a thread on overlapping powers being fine, but even I think he needs something extra.

Maybe making him like Firestorm? So he keeps his original set, it's just way more expanded.

I don't remember if it was Axel or Quesada, but the argument against using the name Agni was because it would sound like "acne" to Americans. But of course names like the Whizzer and Darkhawk are ok. Is the name Bishop problematic?