Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

That sounds like a strange explanation.

Agni sounds nothing like acne to me. Quesada being Quesada moment I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, and Paras Gavaskar being named Indra is probably also a bit culturally insensitive, just as it would be if the Avengers had Fightin' Jesus and Jehovah-Man.

(That said, actual people can be named Indra, just as there are lots of real people with the first name Jesus, but it just seems polite to use one of the 5,000 or so words that *aren't* the names of people's gods for our superhero codenames.)
    Can't speak for every Hindu but *shrug* never found Indra offensive. Heck, we often market our own Gods as superheroes.

Also, Indra is basically Hinduism's version of Zeus (well, the Hindu Gods came before the Greek pantheon but whatever). The God of Thunder with ALL OF THE VICES. So I doubt people will feel so touchy about him in particular + Indra is not claiming to be the God Indra himself like Apocalypse claimed he was Krishna in the trailer for X-Men: Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I... kinda like this. So the X-Men version of Wonder Man?
    Yes, that is a perfect analogy!

But yea, I'd appreciate maybe a secondary mutation or something. I just made a thread on overlapping powers being fine, but even I think he needs something extra.

Maybe making him like Firestorm? So he keeps his original set, it's just way more expanded.
    Maybe he could form temporarily sentient fire forms like horses that charge at his opponents? Just spitballin'

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    I don't remember if it was Axel or Quesada, but the argument against using the name Agni was because it would sound like "acne" to Americans. But of course names like the Whizzer and Darkhawk are ok. Is the name Bishop problematic?
    That makes no sense but as ChronoRogue said, makes sense for Quesada.

Also now I'm imagining an "Acne Kai" face-off where the Fire Nation brats are comparing their skin at the beach.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 05-02-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    I don't remember if it was Axel or Quesada, but the argument against using the name Agni was because it would sound like "acne" to Americans. But of course names like the Whizzer and Darkhawk are ok. Is the name Bishop problematic?
    Maybe I'm just slow or dumb(or both), but why would Bishop's name be considered problematic? Bishop is a cool-ass sounding name whether codename or alias. Also, some of the coolest characters in fiction were named Bishop(the sheriff in Assault on Precinct 13, the android in Aliens, Tupac in Juice, etc.).

Lol at acne kai

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Maybe I'm just slow or dumb(or both), but why would Bishop's name be considered problematic? Bishop is a cool-ass sounding name whether codename or alias. Also, some of the coolest characters in fiction were named Bishop(the sheriff in Assault on Precinct 13, the android in Aliens, Tupac in Juice, etc.).
    Bishop is a cool last name but it's connected to a religious role too. The discussion was about naming characters after gods and if some religious names should be off limits.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

You can derive a name from anything/anywhere...without it being "problematic". Words usually have more than one connotation.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-03-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I can't recall the website, but I once read that Indians are okay with naming babies after deities because saying the name reminds people of the god.
    www.babynames.com lists Agni as a female name; but then, Marvel's okay with calling a male character "Banshee," after a female spirit in Irish folklore.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 05-18-2021 at 09:58 AM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I always loved the name bishop. I always thought of it like chess. For me, he was a tank type of character but with his power set it felt like he put an angle on that. Instead of just being the typical strong guy, he would absorb all the crazy power blasts that so many villains would use. Of course, this is my own take on it and chances are had nothing to do with the thought process when they named him lol

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    I can't recall the website, but I once read that Indians are okay with naming babies after deities because saying the name reminds people of the god.
    www.babynames.com lists Agni as a female name; but then, Marvel's okay with calling a male character "Banshee," after a female spirit in Irish folklore.
    It's not a big deal. Again, it also just means "fire" in Hindi and Sanskrit.

Off-topic, but I always found it cool that Sean was named after a female spirit.