Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    I think this is due to the fact that most of the Asian characters (talking in the X-Universe here) are usually female.
    Because Asian men can't be fetishized into subservient waifus!

This thread is so strange. Taking the original poster as not being a troll this is simply a numbers game. There are less Asian people in the US than African Americans and due to the effects of slavery those African Americans identify more as a "African American" as a whole because they are far less likely to know their families origins (Nigerian, Ugandan, Kenyan etc) than say someone whose family comes from China, Korea, India, Pakistan etc.

Going by my experiences in Europe, Chinese people don't think they are the same as people as Indians and vice versa because westerners clumsily use the word Asian for a myriad of different people with different faiths and cultures from an entire continent. The listing of "Asian" characters in this thread has been so odd. Why would someone who is Pakistani think that they have representation because Kwannon is in Marauders? It's such a bizarre mentality.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    This thread is so strange. Taking the original poster as not being a troll this is simply a numbers game. There are less Asian people in the US than African Americans and due to the effects of slavery those African Americans identify more as a "African American" as a whole because they are far less likely to know their families origins (Nigerian, Ugandan, Kenyan etc) than say someone whose family comes from China, Korea, India, Pakistan etc.

Going by my experiences in Europe, Chinese people don't think they are the same as people as Indians and vice versa because westerners clumsily use the word Asian for a myriad of different people with different faiths and cultures from an entire continent. The listing of "Asian" characters in this thread has been so odd. Why would someone who is Pakistani think that they have representation because Kwannon is in Marauders? It's such a bizarre mentality.
    You can't really apply Europe's view of race to America. People identifying with their ethnic group more than race is common in Europe. Black, North African and Middle Eastern people in Europe do it too.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

speaking from my experiences in the US, most people tend to think of Eastern Asia when the term "Asian" is used. China, Japan, Koreas, Singapore. Indian and Pakistin typically dont get lumped in and tend to get their own specification as do the Pacific Islanders

In terms of this thread, Asian is used as a blank statement for all ethnicities originating from Asian for not overly complicating things. The same way black is used for myriad of ethnicities. There arent that many characters which fall into each individual bucket and it makes things easier to talk about grouping them together bc the representation is so low across the board. So yeah when there is talk about more Asian characters, support for Sunfire, Thunderbird (Neal) and Jubilee are all apart of the conversation

African, Asian, Hispanic/Latino, European, etc.. I think most people are aware that all these terms encompass a wide variety of people, races, culture and ethnicity. And we've touched on it in this topic that at times this term is not specific enough in terms of representation. And I don't see why the listing would be odd, unless you mean the first list where they didn't specify country of ancestry/origin?

Anyway point remains the same though, as it's an entire continent worth of people and it's pretty under-presented in the X-Men. The X-Men are american based but have always been very international, more so than the Avengers in some ways. Despite the awkward start, I think the intention of this thread is just asking for more spotlight on characters from Asia.

Ultimate Member

I think people for people of different Asian backgrounds to be better represented in the X-Men, not that all Asians are the same. It's easer to say Asian than to list Japanese, Chinese, Pakistani, Bengali, Malayan, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    African, Asian, Hispanic/Latino, European, etc.. I think most people are aware that all these terms encompass a wide variety of people, races, culture and ethnicity. And we've touched on it in this topic that at times this term is not specific enough in terms of representation. And I don't see why the listing would be odd, unless you mean the first list where they didn't specify country of ancestry/origin?

Anyway point remains the same though, as it's an entire continent worth of people and it's pretty under-presented in the X-Men. The X-Men are american based but have always been very international, more so than the Avengers in some ways. Despite the awkward start, I think the intention of this thread is just asking for more spotlight on characters from Asia.
    Exactly

Although Latino isn't a proper racial category

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Although Latino isn't a proper racial category
    I don't think they mean it as a race, they're talking about continents. African and European aren't races either.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I don't think they mean it as a race, they're talking about continents. African and European aren't races either.
    true. I'm just more saying Latino can mean people from those other continents as well as peoples originally from the Americas

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik
    true. I'm just more saying Latino can mean people from those other continents as well as peoples originally from the Americas
    actually it's my bad since i should be using latinx anyway

EDIT: rip I just saw Daedras post, I'll defer to them since they are Italian (presumably).

Anyway getting back the OT, someone brought up Hindsight, I would love to see him back. I think his power is a good fit for X-Factor actually...
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 03-25-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    the ones from europe are latins not latinos
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member

If that were the case then we'd see far more Hispanic characters.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    If that were the case then we'd see far more Hispanic characters.
    I feel like reducing representation entirely to a numbers game may not be the best idea. To be fair, numbers are important, but they can also be twisted to limit representation

Nga and Leong........................

I mean, where have they been?
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Nga and Leong........................

I mean, where have they been?
    Are they Karma's siblings?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Are they Karma's siblings?
    Yes, that is correct
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”