Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Are you also complaining how most Asian literature/media don't include Latino, black or queer people? Very telling you'd try and turn it into an Asian vs Black thing.
    Most Asian countries don't have those demographics. The USA, where Marvel is based, does have them

But I agree it shouldn't be Asian vs Black, it should be Asian and Black

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Most Asian countries don't have those demographics. The USA, where Marvel is based, does have them

But I agree it shouldn't be Asian vs Black, it should be Asian and Black
    Ahmadinejad said there were no homosexuals in Iran, but I wouldn't say he's the most reliable source.

I definitely would like to see Sunfire, Karma and Neal Shaara to be written with more prominence. Only Karma has been somewhat consistently used and she usually don't get that much attention even when she is on a team.

Sunfire is an OG X-Man and I'm sad he never got into the limelight. I suppose it's an interesting pitch to have a mutant identify more with his country rather than his demographic but he's still one of the most recognizable male asian mutants we have. I think there is potential there for Shiro to represent a more Brand-like approach, as not viewing mutants as so different from humans but still working with the X-Men to forward similar goals/objectives.

Karma I've always had a soft spot for her. I like her more reserved personality and her history is pretty tragic. She's grown into some wealth, took on her evil brother, and has become slightly more assertive with Lui's run so I'd like to see her continue to grow in her own quiet way.

As for Neal, CC didn't write him as the most... likeable character but he's pretty much a blank slate as well. He has potential to be written in an interesting way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Ahmadinejad said there were no homosexuals in Iran, but I wouldn't say he's the most reliable source.
    Sorry, I meant only about the Black and Latino populations, which are close to non-existent in most Asian countries although the African population in China is rising

Do Asian X-Men suffer from the same stereotypes other Asian characters do in American media?

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant101 View Post
    I always see demand for Black character in x-book.
    How about Asians whose 60% of world population today?
    Esp. with the violence on Asians americans today.

Who are the Asians character in x-book?
    You know what I may get attacked for these sentiments, but as a black person I am TIRED of ANYTIME black people bring up an issue that directly affects us. Some other group, a lot of times other minority groups bring up black people and their issues indirectly and directly minimizing those issues or pivoting away from the issue at hand. What does people demanding for more representation of black characters have to do with Asian characters these things are NOT mutually exclusive, and it is gross imo. That anytime someone mentions a black person, or character, or etc, the conversation becomes WELL WHAT ABOUT {INSERT RACE OR OPPRESSED GROUP HERE}!

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Pretty tacky to bring up Black rep as some sort of comparison tbh.

Jubilee*
    Psylocke*
    Wiz Kid*
    Armor*
    Karma*
    Daken*
    Shinobi Shaw*

Dust (recurring in Champions)
    Indra
    Neal Shaara
    Trinary
    Silver Samurai (small recurring role in Cable)
    Sunfire
    Gorgon (had a pretty large role in X of Swords)
    Sway (semi-recurring role in X-Men)
    Silhouette
    Midnight’s Fire
    Zorn
    Xorn
    Hijack
    Surge
    Kenji
    Sunpyre
    Norio
    Hindsight
    Whisper Doll
    Hexadecimal
    Gazing Nightshade
    Wicked

*regular appearances in an X-Book

It is so GROSS and for years this mentality has been reinforced and acceptable, and personally I'm over black issues being minimized or reduced no matter there importance.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 03-23-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Ultimate Member

There shouldn't even be a conflict between Black and Asian representation. Both are needed. IMO we should keep this thread about Asian representation and not pull down black people

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I definitely would like to see Sunfire, Karma and Neal Shaara to be written with more prominence. Only Karma has been somewhat consistently used and she usually don't get that much attention even when she is on a team.

Sunfire is an OG X-Man and I'm sad he never got into the limelight. I suppose it's an interesting pitch to have a mutant identify more with his country rather than his demographic but he's still one of the most recognizable male asian mutants we have. I think there is potential there for Shiro to represent a more Brand-like approach, as not viewing mutants as so different from humans but still working with the X-Men to forward similar goals/objectives.

Karma I've always had a soft spot for her. I like her more reserved personality and her history is pretty tragic. She's grown into some wealth, took on her evil brother, and has become slightly more assertive with Lui's run so I'd like to see her continue to grow in her own quiet way.

As for Neal, CC didn't write him as the most... likeable character but he's pretty much a blank slate as well. He has potential to be written in an interesting way.
    I think there are so many interesting stories that can be told with Sunfire in this era! Hoping he'll be on the new Hickman X-Men team.

I love Karma and I like what Vita has done with her so far.

I've never read X-Treme X-Men beyond the first issue (sorry) so I'm not very familiar with Neal. I was just very confused as to why he was called Thunderbird despite having no relationship to the indigenous characters who held that mantle.

Please send email to officex@marvel.com about this. I have several times in particular about bringing back Auric and Silver and other asian characters such as Chance!

Sent today:

Dear Office-X.

Please bring the Bio-Genes and Lightbright home to Krakoa for more diversity.

Dear Office-X,

Please bring Auric and Silver home to Krakoa for more diversity.

Dear Office-X,

Please bring La Bandera and El Aguila home to Krakoa for more diversity.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 03-23-2021 at 09:29 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think there are so many interesting stories that can be told with Sunfire in this era! Hoping he'll be on the new Hickman X-Men team.

I love Karma and I like what Vita has done with her so far.

I've never read X-Treme X-Men beyond the first issue (sorry) so I'm not very familiar with Neal. I was just very confused as to why he was called Thunderbird despite having no relationship to the indigenous characters who held that mantle.
    True! I think Cecilia and Shiro offer interesting POVs in this very mutant-centric era and I'd like for them to get developed. Plus it's weird seeing them both on the island when they've been been very vocal about wanting to integrate more rather than isolate. What made them change their minds?

Hopefully Vita will continue to write Karma with some focus. also hopefully she can maybe find a love interest, poor girl has been single for like two decades

Neal was used more during Revolution but yea the Thunderbird name was weird. I mean guess his powers sort of make sense for the name (flyer who shoots energy blasts) but honestly his powerset is closer to Shiro's than the Proudstars. He deserves his own unique codename instead of a legacy name, especially since James is around and who knows when John will be back.

by Peter-v-Nguyen

by Peter-v-Nguyen

Ultimate Member

Because the writers probably confused the term "Indian". It's kinda inappropriate IMO

Ultimate Member

Probably should have gone with Garuda (a giant bird from Hindu lore, used as a mount by one of their gods, and hence not as disrespectful as naming a character directly after one of their gods, like with Indra), or one of the Hindi words for Flame (Jyoti) or Inferno (Narak) or whatever.

Honestly, kind of weird character. He's got the name of one All-New X-Man (Thunderbird) and the powers of another (Sunfire). Not terribly original.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Pretty tacky to bring up Black rep as some sort of comparison tbh.

Jubilee*
    Psylocke*
    Wiz Kid*
    Armor*
    Karma*
    Daken*
    Shinobi Shaw*

Dust (recurring in Champions)
    Indra
    Neal Shaara
    Trinary
    Silver Samurai (small recurring role in Cable)
    Sunfire
    Gorgon (had a pretty large role in X of Swords)
    Sway (semi-recurring role in X-Men)
    Silhouette
    Midnight’s Fire
    Zorn
    Xorn
    Hijack
    Surge
    Kenji
    Sunpyre
    Norio
    Hindsight
    Whisper Doll
    Hexadecimal
    Gazing Nightshade
    Wicked

*regular appearances in an X-Book
    Missing Sprite an Eosimas from China and the japapnese members of The MLF (kamikaze, Samurái and Sumo)

Hmm I will say for Shiro, I know this is far from comic fans favorite topic but does anyone else think Shiro might need some... tweaks to his costume due to cultural sensitivity? Especially if he gets introduced into the MCU early if they use the ANAD crew.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50285383

For some context why. i mean his costume is somewhat obvious reference to the flag but I suppose Marvel could get away with some ambiguity

I wouldn't want a big change to it, just a slight change. I love the mask and color scheme too much tbh. Maybe turn the white stripes to white flames, turn the stripes yellow or orange, etc... Or they could use a different outfit like his AoA, red and gold, or black and red one.

by maxmax007

Incredible Member

Also Senkaya from the Acolytes is from Sri lanka

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Hmm I will say for Shiro, I know this is far from comic fans favorite topic but does anyone else think Shiro might need some... tweaks to his costume due to cultural sensitivity? Especially if he gets introduced into the MCU early if they use the ANAD crew.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50285383

For some context why. i mean his costume is somewhat obvious reference to the flag but I suppose Marvel could get away with some ambiguity

I wouldn't want a big change to it, just a slight change. I love the mask and color scheme too much tbh. Maybe turn the white stripes to white flames, turn the stripes yellow or orange, etc... Or they could use a different outfit like his AoA, red and gold, or black and red one.

by maxmax007
    Most likely... I was just watching a video about how certain manga and anime get banned (or at least censored) in Asian countries outside of Japan for using rising sun iconography. Definitely not an expert, so feel free to let me know if I’m off.