Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How many Blasian couples have ever even been in Marvel?
    Nico and Alex (Runaways) and Prodigy and Surge (New Academy X) are the first that come to mind, though neither are couples any more. I don't think they count as dating but Jubilee and Synch flirted a bit iirc.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Nico and Alex (Runaways) and Prodigy and Surge (New Academy X) are the first that come to mind, though neither are couples any more. I don't think they count as dating but Jubilee and Synch flirted a bit iirc.
    Cool. Too bad they didn't last

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Cool. Too bad they didn't last
    That first couple needed to end.

Also I’m really hoping that Trinary is the secret member of X-Corp that Tini has been talking about. She really needs some shine.

Fantastic Member

Jubilee and Psylocke are the first ones that come to mind for me.

I remember reading the X-men in the 90s when Wolverine, Jubilee and Psylocke were together a lot. Though I knew Wolverine was Canadian, I always thought he had some Asian heritage. They added so many Asian connections to the character... martial arts, the Hand, the Yakuza.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    That first couple needed to end.

Also I’m really hoping that Trinary is the secret member of X-Corp that Tini has been talking about. She really needs some shine.
    Don't like how Nico was treated...to this day.

Mighty Member

A big problem with a lot of X-men Asian representation is a lot of those characters were created well before Marvel even attempted to put forward reasonable characterization and cultural where withal within them.

Sunfire is an Japanese superhero wearing the rising sun, who's powers are nuclear fire

Kwannon and Karma to this day still don't have remotely close to country of origin names (They've managed to walk Kwannon a bit by making her name an alias, but even still.)

You contrast any Asian character in the X-men with any made in the last 10 years at marvel with the exception of Dust and they get lapped in terms of appropriate representation and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    A big problem with a lot of X-men Asian representation is a lot of those characters were created well before Marvel even attempted to put forward reasonable characterization and cultural where withal within them.

Sunfire is an Japanese superhero wearing the rising sun, who's powers are nuclear fire

Kwannon and Karma to this day still don't have remotely close to country of origin names (They've managed to walk Kwannon a bit by making her name an alias, but even still.)

You contrast any Asian character in the X-men with any made in the last 10 years at marvel with the exception of Dust and they get lapped in terms of appropriate representation and it's not even close.
    yeah no I'm not about to let you diss Surge,Armor, Karma and Jubilee like that those 4 were handled very well when they had their runs hell even when Daken was evil was not typical

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    yeah no I'm not about to let you diss Surge,Armor, Karma and Jubilee like that those 4 were handled very well when they had their runs hell even when Daken was evil was not typical
    None of what you said has to do with their cultural connection. Which beyond Karma, who is the best of that lot, is pretty unsubstantial to say the least. And even Karma's connection basically ends at the fall of Saigon.

With Jubilee, that makes sense. She's a 2nd gen chinese american cali baby. What can you tell me about Noriko and Hisako with relation to japan other than they're from Tokyo.

None of what you said has to do with their cultural connection. Which beyond Karma, who is the best of that lot, is pretty unsubstantial to say the least. And even Karma's connection basically ends at the fall of Saigon.

With Jubilee, that makes sense. She's a 2nd gen chinese american cali baby. What can you tell me about Noriko and Hisako with relation to japan other than they're from Tokyo.
    I have no idea what you're even asking
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I have no idea what you're even asking
    I wasn't asking anything. I was merely stating that X-men's cultural portrayal of Asia, despite having more Asian reps than the average, is largely not great. If it's not just flat out wrong it's very "The Last Samurai" esque (Especially anything to do with Logan).

I wasn't asking anything. I was merely stating that X-men's cultural portrayal of Asia, despite having more Asian reps than the average, is largely not great. If it's not just flat out wrong it's very "The Last Samurai" esque
    Isn't that just most media in the US tho? X-Men def included
    GrindrStone(D)

What are they supposed to have from Japan? Are they suppose to wear the rising sun so you can tell? You can't have it both ways you can't criticize them throwing up big neon signs to point a character is from a country then turn be upset as well when they don't focus on character race as if the are sole representative of their culture. The character does not have regular Japanese name or Vietnamese name isn't a real complaint imo, There is a Jamaican in name Robert "Bob" Marley that is not a traditional Jamaican or black name. The complaints about Sunfire they have taken him out of the rising sun costume for long time now.

Ever since they removed Betsy as being Asian imo they have step up their effort to use Karma, Kwannon, Jubilee and Armor. Kwannon has been in Uncanny, Fallen Angels, and now Hellions, She is guest staring in Excalibur this week. Karma is getting some use in New Mutants, Jubilee as well in Excalibur, Armor and Wiz kid in Sword. We can focus on the past yeah some things are bad for sure I don't think picture of what you were trying to say matches what is happening but that said they can do better.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-25-2021 at 03:40 AM.

Most probably can't even tell most characters are asian because they don't look asian. Sometimes I wonder if people use asians as the default sometime because they know they can get away with them looking european without anyone saying anything. What's the point of having an Asian character or another other character for that matter if they are just going to look like some variant of where they are from, especially in a visual medium.
    Last edited by jwatson; 03-25-2021 at 03:19 AM. Reason: tyos too great on phone
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Surge's father cut her out of her life for being different which shows the conservative nature of Japan that most people don't see. Surge was a very progressive girl in terms of fashion and attitude neither of which vibe with strict Japanese parents.

Astonishing Member

Of the newer Asian mutants the majority seem to be Lesbian females. Marvel seems determined not to have a heterosexual Asian female be in an actual relationship with another Asian male. In fact it's like almost half of new Asian female characters introduced whether mutant or not seems to be Lesbian.