Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, it'll be that for sure so that they have a clear delineation point, and it can be made temporary when they want him full-powered again.

Minor sidebar, I really appreciate Lois being big attracted to Clark once he gets some grey in his hair. It's always heartwarming to see a couple embrace their partner's age rather than just lament it... Which bring sup how weird it is that she doesn't look a day over 30, but I guess that's Janin.

Lois appearing young and Clark looking 50 does feel weird given he looks his usual 38-40 in Action, but I guess we'll figure it all out eventually.
    In Action Comics his dropping powers were cited as "cellular decay" that was progressing. Cellular decay is also what makes people look older, and what grays one's hair. So Clark and Lois could be just about the same age, but Clark looks well into his 50s specifically because of the decay.

This then begs the question of how he has black hair again during the War World Saga and Batman/Superman & The Authority special. A friend had the theory that in order to hide his decreasing powers from Mongul he simply dyes his hair black and puts on a show of power when he gets there (and then eventually gets beaten and enslaved). Maybe he gets a temporary power boost back to normal that only holds him for a bit?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    In Action Comics his dropping powers were cited as "cellular decay" that was progressing. Cellular decay is also what makes people look older, and what grays one's hair. So Clark and Lois could be just about the same age, but Clark looks well into his 50s specifically because of the decay.

This then begs the question of how he has black hair again during the War World Saga and Batman/Superman & The Authority special. A friend had the theory that in order to hide his decreasing powers from Mongul he simply dyes his hair black and puts on a show of power when he gets there (and then eventually gets beaten and enslaved). Maybe he gets a temporary power boost back to normal that only holds him for a bit?
    That seems a bit vain for Clark. To be honest, I think it's just that 5G got scrapped and they didn't want to shelve the book or change the art.

I'm fine with just overlooking the hair and moving on, honestly. I don't need Clark to use Touch of Grey or something. Just skip it. Honestly, the temples are the only mark of age so it can be done without.

As for cellular decay, I know that's what they're saying, but it'll be fixed later on the same way Red/Blue and so forth were.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

That seems a bit vain for Clark. To be honest, I think it's just that 5G got scrapped and they didn't want to shelve the book or change the art.

I'm fine with just overlooking the hair and moving on, honestly. I don't need Clark to use Touch of Grey or something. Just skip it. Honestly, the temples are the only mark of age so it can be done without.
    It's vain in this context. Clark himself told Bruce in Action that he needed to keep his power levels a secret from his foes. He goes to War World with gray hair at 40 something and Mongul's gonna wonder. Basically it's a hoax-- and a hoax that will likely get found out quickly as he and his team take a beating when they get there.

PKJ said that he and Morrison made the books fit by changing up their stories a bit, and the set up seems to be there for Clark to go back to black hair while still needing The Authority and having reduced powers.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Lois appearing young and Clark looking 50 does feel weird given he looks his usual 38-40 in Action, but I guess we'll figure it all out eventually.
    Aside from the gray in his hair, does Janin's Clark actually look 50?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Not particularly, which helps the eventual retcon that will repower him.

I don't need 100% of the details to line up so long as the story works overall. If the biggest nitpick is that Clark had grey temples a minute, we're in for a helluva ride.
    May we never forget:

Incredible Member

Actually Janin's Clark looks young with grey temples. It doesn't make sense for Clark to be aging faster than Lois. It should be the other way around. I've always read stories where Clark outlives Lois and everyone he knows by 100's of years . His powers fading is just a writing gimmick too. Although in Action he is drawn older looking but without grey hair.

Incredible Member

Not particularly, which helps the eventual retcon that will repower him.

I don't need 100% of the details to line up so long as the story works overall. If the biggest nitpick is that Clark had grey temples a minute, we're in for a helluva ride.
    Actually I hope that you're right and that we get a great storyline for Superman for once. It seems that Batman always has the Big storylines, and I understand that Batman is now the flagship character. But DC doesn't really do Superman that well all the time. He deserves no less than the best too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Remember still feeling that way even after 18 issues of Morrison on Action lol. Always want more when it comes to Supes and them.
    I feel the same way about Morrison. Wonder what he would do now with an older Superman , if only DC would let him write without Editorial interference.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    Actually I hope that you're right and that we get a great storyline for Superman for once. It seems that Batman always has the Big storylines, and I understand that Batman is now the flagship character. But DC doesn't really do Superman that well all the time. He deserves no less than the best too.
    He's got a lot of them under his belt, but they don't get the same praise. We all like to remember No Man's Land fondly, but it's got tons of issues. For example, the entire city is under absolute chaos with people being murdered under his rogues gallery's mob rule, but he insists the JLA stick their noses out because Gotham's his and he needs to [excuse to salve his wounded pride]. Put the lives first, Bruce. Don't turn your friends away from getting entire neighborhoods out from under your fiercest foes' thumbs. Ah well.

Knightfall, Contagion, Cataclysm. Bruce has tons of big stories, but even the best of the ones listed (NML) has its problems. The triangle era in particular was strong for Superman overall. He doesn't sell particularly well anymore, but mismanagement and not delivering angry stories about extreme **** well isn't going to help you when that's what's in during the boom of the 90s where Batman overtook Superman for good.

I quite enjoyed Exile, for example. Not perfect, but it's a good time and takes a hard look at a Man of Steel who has taken lives.
    May we never forget:

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Lois with a ray gun blasting ultra-humanite was badass..People can fight me on "Lois isn't a fighter.she is a reporter!Blah! blah!".Lois is in a world of flying dogs..i loved brainiac in a suit and with a monkey..Now that feels like a villain!! Mwahaha!!!!!This one a action heavy..I do believe these guys could have done better with that.Atleast it had decent focus..The hand to hand wasn't very good.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-17-2021 at 11:05 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Here’s something insane: concept art for 5G Superman & the Authority. They were going to put Superman and Dr. Manhattan on an Authority team. That is so utterly insane I kind of want to see it. People thought Doomsday Clock was an FU to Alan Moore, can’t even picture the reaction to this lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVQ8Mn7MF_i/
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

As I understand the artist was picking characters on his own and DC might have not used them if they decided otherwise, no?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interesting concepts and designs... for an Elseworld.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

He's got a lot of them under his belt, but they don't get the same praise. We all like to remember No Man's Land fondly, but it's got tons of issues. For example, the entire city is under absolute chaos with people being murdered under his rogues gallery's mob rule, but he insists the JLA stick their noses out because Gotham's his and he needs to [excuse to salve his wounded pride]. Put the lives first, Bruce. Don't turn your friends away from getting entire neighborhoods out from under your fiercest foes' thumbs. Ah well.
    It's one of the big drawbacks for these characters existing in a shared universe. Sometimes, writers have to as the reader to perform mental gymnastics to accommodate a really basic idea like why wouldn't the JLA help Gotham.

Mark Millar actually covered this in an issue of JLA, where they were fighting invasions from factions like I.Q. but staying under the radar and it ended by saying that Batman and Huntress ARE the JLA's presence in NML. And Supes himself showed up a few times (along with a few other one-shots).

On the other hand, the shared universe has given us some great moments in mega-arcs, such as in Funeral for a Friend.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Absolutely. Looking forward to seeing him unwrap it all. Ritesh Babu also does wonderful analysis of Morrison's work. These two are invaluable for helping plebs like myself understand all the different layers Morrison's got cooking under the surface.

Morrison's interviews are always helpful, too. The fact that Morrison wrote Superman & The Authority as satire is definitely, but readjusted slightly after seeing Janin's art is very interesting.
    Yeah Morrison interviews are always helpful for context for sure, as well as great reads, always look forward to them.

Usually I hate every second line but, in this book, there's only one line I'd like to change and I will when the [trade paperback] comes in. [laughs] I'm really pleased with it and happy that it's tongue-in-cheek and funny but drawn in a serious, important way that works.
    Wonder which line they're referring to???

I think my fave from the last issue was Supes dropping this on Black after some typical snark about how good is dumb (to paraphrase Dark Helmet):

Sometimes you work with what you've got, Mr. Black, don't you agree? I chose to trust you, didn't I?
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog