Page 60 of 78 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I echo the sentiments that this should be atleast be a maxi or an ongoing..Clark is using his tech...but,still no jet packs,lazer guns..etc.I wonder if the shrink ray is from one of the old goldenage stories(i don't remember which issue).

Manchester black going "blah!blah!blah!" to clark and getting electrocuted was funny as heck.Especialy after going "i am the leader".i won't lie the guy seriously is speaking mind with the "i am tired of this **** i have to deal with.so turn me into frog or kill me cigarette".The guy has become my spirit animal so to speak with irreverence towards clark,"get this over with"(tired) attitude and especially falling on your own face.

Superman as a free agent is my kinda superman.Moreover,For whatever reason.Clark clearly thinks high of jon.I wonder what Morrison thinks of the character.The only time morrison wrote jon was in blackstars.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I echo the sentiments that this should be atleast be a maxi or an ongoing..Clark is using his tech...but,still no jet packs,lazer guns..etc.I wonder if the shrink ray is from one of the old goldenage stories(i don't remember which issue).

Manchester black going "blah!blah!blah!" to clark and getting electrocuted was funny as heck.Especialy after going "i am the leader".i won't lie the guy seriously is speaking mind with the "i am tired of this **** i have to deal with.so turn me into frog or kill me cigarette".The guy has become my spirit animal so to speak with irreverence towards clark,"get this over with"(tired) attitude and especially falling on your own face.

Superman as a free agent is my kinda superman.Moreover,For whatever reason.Clark clearly thinks high of jon.I wonder what Morrison thinks of the character.The only time morrison wrote jon was in blackstars.
    I mean it’s his son, it’s not like it’s someone trying to take the name who has to earn his respect. It’s his little boy who he raised since birth and knows is capable of being a superhero because of his time as Superboy. Unless Jon pulled an Injustice Clark will probably just continue to be proud of his son because he’s a good dad.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Funniest part was Morrison taking the piss out of their rep as the “Silver Age nostalgia” (as well as poking fun at Kingdom Come) with Chester mocking that nostalgia attitude and Clark being very deadpan about “yeah that era is over, anyway moving on”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean itÂ’s his son, itÂ’s not like itÂ’s someone trying to take the name who has to earn his respect. ItÂ’s his little boy who he raised since birth and knows is capable of being a superhero because of his time as Superboy. Unless Jon pulled an Injustice Clark will probably just continue to be proud of his son because heÂ’s a good dad.
    I tend to think clark should be written critical of jon and not "my son is awesome".The kid hasn't earned it.He might have seen superboy in action.But,this is jon stepping into the world.World weary and non interventionst at heart guy like clark would naturally question his son.I think that's what a parent does.I am not talking about being controlling,giving lectures/advices and all that.But, questioning motivations,actions,critiquing(sometimes angrily) and agreeing to disagreeing,learning from children..etc are what a parents do.Superman as the experienced veteran should be calling out bullshit and providing arguments for his view point.

That's what a complex narrative does.Provides different viewpoints and argues why a particular viewpoint should be adopted.I am talking about properly representing that not create parodies or hyperbole characters.All though mocking and humour has its place.

But,i guess clark is more appreciating the jon being more socially conscious..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2021 at 10:16 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Funniest part was Morrison taking the piss out of their rep as the “Silver Age nostalgia” (as well as poking fun at Kingdom Come) with Chester mocking that nostalgia attitude and Clark being very deadpan about “yeah that era is over, anyway moving on”.
    I took great humor in Chester, acting as a sarcastic, jaded millennial stand-in (and I'm a millennial, so I recognize him as my generation's spirit animal) being told by Clark, himself being treated as a relic of the baby boomer era to a degree, that Gen Z is dope for pushing real change.

There's some great ideas at play so far in this run, but goddamn we're at the conclusion of the book next issue and still assembling the team. If this was the opening salvo of a series, sure, but so far I'm questioning how they're going to land this metaphorical plane. Sorry to say, but the pacing isn't doing it for me thus far. Feels very much like a YouTube video of the recruitment montage spliced together with the climax of the film. We're just now getting the plot (aside from building the team to address change) and it's the last issue. I wish Morrison and Co had more room to work with what they've taken great pains to set up, but it really does feel like they're just getting started.

It's got some excellent ideas and killer moments, but as of now this feels less like a story Morrison needed to tell and more like them taking advantage of 5G to give their Superman an epilogue. Hoping to change my tune in the last issue, but yeah, as of now it's largely been "Superman recruits a bunch of people to be his personal cheerleaders when he's not on-panel while he talks in platitudes about how they need to change the world." In that respect, it's nothing new, albeit it's well-written more of the same.

I really want to love this book. I certainly enjoy it when I'm reading it, but afterwards I reflect on it a bit and realize it's not really doing much other than give me water cooler moments to refer to. "Remember the heat vision spinal surgery? What about their meeting at the actual Round Table? I got a good laugh when Midnighter referred to him as the sexy dad model Superman." Morrison still has a great voice for Superman, and it's nice to see him get reverence deserving of a hero of his stature (even if he doesn't revel in it himself). Please don't take this as me saying there's not a lot to enjoy, but it all just feels like very competent Superman plate spinning. If that's all it's going to be, fine, but I expected more of Morrison's last Superman story, I suppose. At least from how it was built up.

I get what Morrison's going for, and it sounds like we're finally going to see some of it next issue, but 75% in and it's mostly Clark talking about changing the world as opposed to really doing much to change it aside from setting up a new team.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-14-2021 at 11:54 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I get what Morrison's going for, and it sounds like we're finally going to see some of it next issue, but 75% in and it's mostly Clark talking about changing the world as opposed to really doing much to change it aside from setting up a new team.
    The funny part is that right after all this talk Clark and his team of world changers f%*k right off to War World and continue to leave the actual doing to his son. I wonder if that'll be addressed?

I do recall in issue #1 Clark saying that maybe it was too late for him to change "this" world.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Wasn't the issues building up towards a showdown during a climate summit?(i can't wait for that, an actual showdown in superman stories.Superman's showdowns are usually restricted to terraman)Also,i think clark has excepted that him as superman can't be what his son could potentially be.He just wants to be free of the paragon status. The thing is ,pkj is said to be channeling donner superman.So I don't really know if that's even possible.Considering,it is more traditional superman than morrison's old pulp fiction hero.I still want supes with lazer gun.. Hopefully,that shrink ray comes into play.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-15-2021 at 01:45 AM.

I'm in the camp where I'm still liking, but definitely not loving, this series. It has definitely burned way to much on assembling the team, but I suppose that could be somewhat forgiven if it ends up leading directly into PKJ's run as opposed to being time displaced or whatever. I still think so much of this is rewritten dialogue being plugged into the art, the Jon references and the Lois reference here both seemed to be patches if they are intending for this to be a direct lead in. Still not convinced on that.

After reading issue 2, I need a primer on Apollo, midnighter, and enchantress.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    After reading issue 2, I need a primer on Apollo, midnighter, and enchantress.
    What does Primer mean?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

What does Primer mean?
    Slang term for explanation.

What does Primer mean?
    I need to know their back stories.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I need to know their back stories.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Midnighte...torm_Universe)
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Apollo_(Wildstorm_Universe)
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Enchantress_(Prime_Earth)

Short version: Apollo & Midnighter are gay transhuman Superman & Batman expies. Enchantress is a sorceress with multiple personality disorder where her “evil” side is the one with powers.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The funny part is that right after all this talk Clark and his team of world changers f%*k right off to War World and continue to leave the actual doing to his son. I wonder if that'll be addressed?

I do recall in issue #1 Clark saying that maybe it was too late for him to change "this" world.
    I mean they had SoKE have Clark admit he consciously avoided changing the world so anything goes.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I've loved these two issues. Really wish this series was at least 6 issues. Definitely hoping that someone else picks up this team concept and does an ongoing.

Grant as usual doing an amazing job of utilizing over-the-top Silver Age concepts and contemporizing them for a modern book. So few writers embrace the fun super science world of Superman.

Ultra Humanite getting the drop on Supes with the old fake statue trick. I wonder how all the high tech security didn't pick up his presence. Do we know who he was talking to in the lab? Are all those brains aspects of him?

Maybe there is some residual Grundy in that body. He did say "born on a Monday".

This new Lightray really reminds me of The Flash from the Stan Lee Just Imagine series.