Page 46 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Apparently it's time travel. As was said in the book, Clark was lost in time and worked in secret but knew JFK. Then later he apparently gets transported to King Arthur's time, and that's where he gets the Round Table we see at the end.

The original pitch for this book was for Lois to be roughly the same age as Clark, and for the both of them to have lived through the 60s till now. That's since been changed, and Clark wasn't born back then and neither was Lois, but Clark did spend some time their via time travel like I said.
    If Clark was apparently time traveling, why didn't he...stop the assassination that he would have therefore known about? I guess time travel reasons, but on the whole, the exchange between him and JFK doesn't read as a scene between someone who knows the outcome of events and one who doesn't. Or that Clark seems at all out of place in this time period.

It reads as JFK trying to convince Clark who has been operating in the shadows in 1963 to announce himself to the world. In 1963. And it honestly seems as if Clark is experiencing things from the perspective of the 1960s, i.e. that he doesn't know any other superheroes exist yet, as JFK is telling him that there are others out there. A Clark from our time period would be like "yeah, I know." It also seems that Clark is genuinely asking Kennedy if he needs his protection in Dallas, as in, it doesn't seem like Clark KNOWS what's gonna happen in Dallas. If Clark were really time-traveling here, he'd know that JFK dies.

The King Arthur line is just a throwaway to explain why he has the table.

Again, if what you're saying here is true, great, but what you're pitching requires a LOT of filling in the blanks on the part of the reader to the point where it's almost inventing an explanation. In other words, if this issue had been better-written, it would come across as "Clark is time traveling" without having to straight-up say "Clark is time-traveling." Instead, what we have is an issue that doesn't seem to care if the audience does or doesn't know what is happening, as it does almost nothing to provide any sort of context. That's...not good writing.

Because it started as a book that was meant to star a Superman who debuted in the 60s due to the 5G timeline. They’re abandoning that but justifying it with a hand wave of “he met Kennedy thanks to time travel”. You’re unwilling to accept that which is fine, but that’s the reality of it. Sometimes the real world intrudes upon the storytelling.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It's not the writing because this is a series that was finished or close to being finished over a year ago under different circumstances. Reportedly there were entire completed series that were shelved because of abandoning the 5G plan. They have to have him say it instead of showing it because they aren't going to pay Janlin to redraw the whole book and it's a simple easy fix to replace some dialogue bubbles.

There are probably going to be some pretty obvious dialogue inserts to try to massage the changes in the story. The "lost in time" bit was one. I wouldn't call it poor writing, but they are doing the best they can to make this stuff work. There will probably be an obviously tacked on ending scene as well to tie it into PKJ's Action plan.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It's better looking at the mini as an out of continuity book and don't think much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It's better looking at the mini as an out of continuity book and don't think much about it.
    Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Yup. Very much this.

And also, it's time travel. It is very clear on that. Not ambiguous at all. And why didn't Clark save JFK? Probably for the same reason he doesn't kill hitler as a baby; it'd somehow screw up history in a bad way.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna like incorporating this book into the main continuity of PKJ's Action Comics, although that'll depend on which elements are carried over and how important they'll be to it.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I liked the idea of Superman creating his own team as a backup. Maybe just call it Stormwatch instead if Authority?....

Plus the Tom Strong-esque outfit is cool.

My interpretation was Clark was on Mars when JFK got shot in the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked the idea of Superman creating his own team as a backup. Maybe just call it Stormwatch instead if Authority?....

Plus the Tom Strong-esque outfit is cool.

My interpretation was Clark was on Mars when JFK got shot in the first issue.
    Close, he was on the Moon lol. It’s a reference to an old Silver Age issue where Supes trained astronauts on the moon I think.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Close, he was on the Moon lol. It’s a reference to an old Silver Age issue where Supes trained astronauts on the moon I think.
    That's something i like to see more often..Clark working with his crew and a more guys to get junk done..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    If Clark was apparently time traveling, why didn't he...stop the assassination that he would have therefore known about?
    Thats how travel works pretty much all the time - don't change something that has happened.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Thats how travel works pretty much all the time - don't change something that has happened.
    Yeah, I addressed that in my post. But, aside from that, it honestly seems like Clark does not know what is going to happen to JFK in Dallas. If he were indeed a time traveler, well he...would.

And I know plans changed behind the scenes but...maybe the scenes and writing should have been rewritten to reflect that? Like, if Clark now has to be a time traveler because of continuity reasons, then just update the script to at least give that piece of context.

This is not popular theory, but to me it looked like Clark knew and thats why he asked if JFK wants protection in Dallas.

Good start for the most part, pairing Superman up with Manchester is gonna be interesting. He's obviously annoying but hopefully it'll be in the entertaining way. Janin's art is winning me over, seems to have really improved. The Kennedy bits threw me off a little too, I hope the creative changes aren't as noticeable in the rest of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    This is not popular theory, but to me it looked like Clark knew and thats why he asked if JFK wants protection in Dallas.
    This is how it read to me as well.

Nothing that I have read so far seems to be messy so far. Just people overthinking it based on behind-the-scenes conjecture and anticipation for how it will fit into the coming books. We aren'y privy to the decision-making and should be patient before jumping the gun on how it might fit when all is done. But what is on the page so far has made sense and read smoothly to me.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)