Page 11 of 78 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Ahhh thank you for correcting me on Morrison! I had forgotten they preferred these pronouns. I have to make sure I remember that. Thank you!!!
    No prob! Like I said, I still mix them up too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I stuck with Morrison's run and genuinely do like the first arc, though I think it is flawed and I don't think they really do any of the women in most books they write justice. I dropped Superman almost immediately. I actually liked the first part of Pak's Truth arc, but Yang's was bad. Pak's Zero Year issue was good too. I don't see why they can't fold some of that into the modern origin.

I legit do like the T-Shirt and Jeans look for an first appearance. I think they should have used that in Superman & Lois, though I can't fault the Fleisher suit at all.

OH! The Krypto Origin and the Zero issue too need to be folded in. While I didn't really like the direwolf design, that origin is the best Krypto origin they've done.

Morrison is not great with women, no. They also did a pretty poor job with Wonder Woman.

I think part of it is that they get very much in their heads about certain aspects and that cerebral focus makes it hard sometimes for them to just write women as people. I still like Morrison a lot and have a ton of respect for them but, yeah, women are never their strong suit. I’ve sort of just accepted it about Morrison. Their intentions are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Surprising. I think for all of the love Morrison gets for All Star or the cool point abundance for Beyond, the year of 2013 was the best Superman they ever wrote.

I wish I could see this any sort of return to that form, the costume certainly invokes it, but... not so much. Now that I know it's only four issues I expect it to have a pretty short ceiling tbh, even if it is a blast.
    Fascinating to me that you’d put Action over All-Star, even most hardcore Action lovers I’ve met would still say All-Star is better. I myself go back and forth on what I love the most.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Morrison is not great with women, no. They also did a pretty poor job with Wonder Woman.

I think part of it is that they get very much in their heads about certain aspects and that cerebral focus makes it hard sometimes for them to just write women as people. I still like Morrison a lot and have a ton of respect for them but, yeah, women are never their strong suit. I’ve sort of just accepted it about Morrison. Their intentions are good.
    This is where I'm at too. They are my favorite writer for Superman and Batman, but for Wonder Woman it's a mixed bag. They have a few set archetypes they work well with for female characters, but it's generally surface level compared to what they do for the male characters. Like Catwoman, Batwoman, Oracle etc. were all treated well when they showed up in Batman, but they had small roles compared to the men. Lois is underutilized even if there is clear respect/affection for her. On the other hand, I love their Jean Grey (death aside, though that's on Marvel editorial for making it stick so long), Etta Candy and Crazy Jane, and Wonder Woman was....still very odd in the last volume of Earth One, but I dug her way more. And they make some great female villains who may not be especially deep as characters, but are scary and fun: Cassandra Nova, Glorianna Tenebrae, and Countess Belzebeth.

At least they're not Joss "woke bae" Whedon, getting high off his own "feminist" gas.

I have not read the Earth One Wonder Woman, but from what I have heard it isn't great. Klaus is a great take on a Superman type character, but the "Mrs. Klaus" there does have some of the same issues you see with their other work. Still, a great "Superman" type of story.

Good intentions but issues with execution are a good way to put it. I think if they weren't beholden to New 52 editorial they would have had a better shot at setting up a New 52 Lois that worked. As things stands they played up things as much as they could there and I can read that run without getting too annoyed.
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-21-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Sounds good. I have no problem trusting in Morrison, he's never let me down before.

No, the problem actually is that you think the only purpose of an elseworld is to switch women in and out like chess pieces. When, in reality, there are tons of creative elseworlds that do nothing of the sort. Because the point of an AU is not just supposed to be to treat women like interchangeable entitles. And the idea that Lois isn’t allowed to maintain her current role as female lead in AU’s because, apparently, that’s the only way to switch up a story to you is super revealing. It’s actually pretty problematic that so many Superman AU’s are so LAZY and sexist that the first thing they do is kill off his wife to “switch things up.” That’s what’s actually up. You have a limited view of what an else-world can be.

All Star Superman is not my favorite comic but it’s most definitely a seminal Superman book. If you hated it that much and can’t find anything to like about it than it doesn’t help the case that you don’t like Superman.

The bottom line is that you want a Superman that doesn’t exist. You hate Lois and can’t appreciate her worth but instead of recognizing that maybe that’s on you you expect an 83 year old story to bend to your inexplicable hatred for a female ICON beloved by many people and then you get angry when it doesn’t. There are a lot of stories out there that would probably better suit your interests and I truly hope you find one.
    The Superman I loved existed. it was the New 52 one. Just so you know.
    Last edited by Korath; 04-21-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    That one was based on the Golden Age version, the one created alongside Lois as his love interest and was still set up to have her as his love interest in Action Comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    He did, for five out of eighty-three years and even then his beginning was still based on an existing template that included his feelings for Lois Lane, albeit never realised because they gave her a random boyfriend. While things changed with the writers that came after Morrison, I don't doubt if Morrison would have finished the story (whatever that would have been) with Lois. His love life would have looked differently to what we got in the end. It doesn't really matter now any way.

The curse of Future State continues. If it wasn’t for Morrison as the writer, I would have zero interest in this. But I’ll be picking this up to see what he can do with this concept. It’s really weird to have a Superman clone in Apollo on the team. Also the Black Racer from Future State was one of the most boring characters I’ve ever read. Grant has his work cut out for him.

I think most of Morrisons' Superman stuff can be read in it's own mini-continuity anyways, so I imagine this will apply here also.

Anyways color me interested with Ultra-Humanite. This is looking like some good Supes content.

Morrison's EO series isn't great, though I've warmed to it somewhat, but I give them some credit that they felt they did poorly by her in JL and FC so I give them credit for that over a lot of others.

So like a poster said above; good motivations if not the best execution.

It's a cool hook for a miniseries. I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Depowering is almost a certainty, unfortunately. Its confirmed his powers go through a change in the solicits. A power loss seems to make the most sense as it would suit the needs of their push of Poochie--I mean Jon. But a good writer can make due.
    I literally LOL’d. Great analogy. I really hope cool new not-Superman dies on the way back to his home planet.

His Action Comics run had Clark having visions about marrying Lois Lane. He was in awe of her writing and clearly loved her. It wasn’t until Morrison left that the new 52 went off the rails and he supposedly left, in part, because of editorial interference.
    I find it unlikely considering that his Action Comics run was extended by one or two issues and like a year or two later he did Multiversity.

I don't think Morrison was bothered by editorial interference. I always thought the problem was that editorial told him do what he wants, but then they told guys like George Perez that they had to follow Morrison's blueprint, without actually letting Perez know what Morrison was doing and what he had to follow.

If anything, if any Superman writers of the time had little right or reason to complain, it was Morrison.