Page 19 of 78 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

This is so weird

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I wonder what input Phillip Kennedy Johnson has on this project. He's the guy primarily writing Clark, so...
    It’s seemingly tying into whatever he is doing in Action, rather than the other way around. He and Morrison talked about story ideas for Future State, I’m sure they coordinated with this. I am curious to know what the “main” book is, who is the head of the Superman books? Tynion is head of the Batbooks, he wrote a series Bible for everyone on where he wants to take Gotham with everyone else under him. So is PKJ the head or is Taylor the head? My gut tells me it’s PKJ, he’s the one doing the big Superevent in Sept that everything else will be spinning out of (including S&tA and S:SoKE apparently).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

So someone pointed out this Superman design is similar to Tom Strong,
    which I honestly can't argue with.
    Very Interesting that we have Morrison and Moore again.

79adb2315c6034a8097acccedc13495408237669.jpg
    1.jpg
    Last edited by kalai; 05-04-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    So someone pointed out this Superman design is similar to Tom Strong,
    which I honestly can't argue with.
    Very Interesting that we have Morrison and Moore again.

79adb2315c6034a8097acccedc13495408237669.jpg
    1.jpg
    That was me lol, but people elsewhere saw the connection first. See the beautiful thing here is that Morrison is going after the two people he has had a “rivalry” with for decades, both in two different generations: Moore and Millar. Tom Strong Superman is almost certainly Morrison playing with a lot of the same ideas Moore played with in Tom Strong. And of course it was The Authority where Morrison’s estranged protege Millar started to make his name via showing superheroes dealing with the “real” bastards, something Morrison is also no doubt going to play with given Manchester Black’s presence. Honestly you couldn’t pick a more perfect book for them to end their Big 2 career on (until they get dragged back yet again).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly you couldn’t pick a more perfect book for them to end their Big 2 career on (until they get dragged back yet again).
    After this wraps up we should probably do some betting thread with people placing their bets on how long Morrison will manage to stay away this time.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    After this wraps up we should probably do some betting thread with people placing their bets on how long Morrison will manage to stay away this time.
    Ha, the ink was barely dry on Green Lantern when the Authority book was leaked, and pretty sure GL was mentioned as his "last" with DC. I ain't complainin' though
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

BANNED

That was me lol, but people elsewhere saw the connection first. See the beautiful thing here is that Morrison is going after the two people he has had a “rivalry” with for decades, both in two different generations: Moore and Millar. Tom Strong Superman is almost certainly Morrison playing with a lot of the same ideas Moore played with in Tom Strong. And of course it was The Authority where Morrison’s estranged protege Millar started to make his name via showing superheroes dealing with the “real” bastards, something Morrison is also no doubt going to play with given Manchester Black’s presence. Honestly you couldn’t pick a more perfect book for them to end their Big 2 career on (until they get dragged back yet again).
    I'm still hoping for Morrison to expand on his Multiversity Too,
    I know Chris Burham said that Arkham Asylum 2 is on hold indefinitely,
    but maybe we can still get some other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    I'm still hoping for Morrison to expand on his Multiversity Too,
    I know Chris Burham said that Arkham Asylum 2 is on hold indefinitely,
    but maybe we can still get some other ones.
    Both of those aren’t happening, Butnham said AA2 was flat out not happening last I heard. Kinda sad Morrison will never do a run on Flash considering they are a great Barry writer and Flash is their favorite hero.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am beginning to suspect that Superman & The Authority is something that Morrison wrote before The Green Lantern Season Two. It was likely something done for 5G that is being repurposed because they’d be idiots to shelf a Grant Morrison story they’ve already paid for.

I mean, Wonder Woman Earth One Vol 3 was written earlier, but came out at the same time as Morrison’s final issue of The Green Lantern, so I don’t believe this is necessarily confirmation that Morrison changed their mind.

That said, we know Morrison was involved in the story conference calls with PKJ, but that could have just been a courtesy so that Johnson’s story could better sync up with what Morrison had already written for 5G.

Interesting theory. I can already imagine Didio calling Morrison:
    - Hey Grant, I'm rebooting again and I want you to write Superman again.
    - Again? Can I just do opening arc this time?
    - Sure, sure, we got this new guy, looks solid, he'll build around your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That said, we know Morrison was involved in the story conference calls with PKJ, but that could have just been a courtesy so that Johnson’s story could better sync up with what Morrison had already written for 5G.
    That at least sounds like an improvement from the Perez/Morrison situation in the New 52.

I am beginning to suspect that Superman & The Authority is something that Morrison wrote before The Green Lantern Season Two. It was likely something done for 5G that is being repurposed because they’d be idiots to shelf a Grant Morrison story they’ve already paid for.

I mean, Wonder Woman Earth One Vol 3 was written earlier, but came out at the same time as Morrison’s final issue of The Green Lantern, so I don’t believe this is necessarily confirmation that Morrison changed their mind.

This has all but been confirmed. Janlin is still working on the September event with PJK, so it tracks that he had this almost in the can already. The Superman & The Authority series was rumored like over a year ago I believe. I think at most they may have massaged some parts to synch up with whatever PKJ has planned. That's why I still believe it's a story set far in future, likely before or after Worlds at War. I think it's probably likely that Worlds at War tied into Superman and the Authority in the original 5G plans. PJK has said that he was brought the basic pitch for House of El, I don't know that he hasn't said that happened with Worlds at War too. I think this is all being built off the bones of 5G.

I'm of the same opinion. We must add thant the rumours about such series existed before the announcement of the series or even before the Future State event, around the time of the 5G rumours.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Editorial were probably the ones who came up with the idea, and then pitched it to Morrison. Lee specifically I’m sure was the brains behind it considering he’s also been pushing his Wildstorm characters again ever since he got the CCO position.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Editorial were probably the ones who came up with the idea, and then pitched it to Morrison. Lee specifically I’m sure was the brains behind it considering he’s also been pushing his Wildstorm characters again ever since he got the CCO position.
    Yup, and when you add in Morrison's aborted Wildcats from years ago and their particularly contentious relationships with both Moore and Millar, I can see why the premise of teaming-up a very Tom Strong-esque Superman with the characters that made Millar's career must have been irresistible to a catty bitch like Morrison

But, if I'm right and this was all written and drawn prior to Didio's firing, Morrison was probably in a very different headspace then than they are nowadays. Whether or not this means we'll see more Morrison at DC in the future doesn't seem guaranteed to me.

And the online harping about Morrison immediately going back to DC after stating that The Green Lantern would be the writer's last word on the DCU can't be helping the situation.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 05-06-2021 at 04:07 PM.