Page 36 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think its ok to not use spoiler tags in this thread?

Anyway, I love that Morrison is continuing to use "multiple Camelots" idea and kinda connects Kennedy to it.
    Being lost in time also explains why Kennedy asks him to come out of shadows, Clark was probably time travelled there and did some covert things in order to not "break" the timeline. On the other hand picture on the wall would indicate that Wonder Woman's adventures started during WW2 or earlier. This kinda tracks with what her creative team has said on twitter or reddit thread about Diana being older than we think.
    I found it rather funny that Black is written a bit like someone from Antifa.
    I wanted to be safe given the time of morning. I don't like getting yelled at for stuff like that, but yeah totally reasonable here because this all started with a spoiler didn't it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Read it.
    Enjoyable as expected, even if it not as groundbreaking as it could be (but it's Morrison, so it can't be unreadable).

The "lost in time" detail sounds like a last minute addition to put the story in continuity - the way Superman interacts with JFK, the presence of the Ultra-Humanite, everything sounds like a plan for the 5G project which has been forced into current continuity.
    But hey, it's readable and interesting and strong enough to convince me to read the next issues as well.
    Last edited by Myskin; 07-20-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

I don't know about "lost in time" being last minute addition. Towards the end when Superman talks with Black he says that "we thought we didn't have to try" and next panel is Kennedy getting shot. My impression was that Superman didn't try to save Kennedy? And why he'd do that if he didn't "know" that Kennedy is supposed to die?

I don't know about "lost in time" being last minute addition. Towards the end when Superman talks with Black he says that "we thought we didn't have to try" and next panel is Kennedy getting shot. My impression was that Superman didn't try to save Kennedy? And why he'd do that if he didn't "know" that Kennedy is supposed to die?
    I just assumed that it was Clark feeling the need to save someone, especially someone he’s talked to, but he can’t because he knows there will be severe time consequences. In essence he wants to save the life of someone about to die but can’t and it’s really getting to him.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I think that the whole King Arthur thing kinda goes along with the whole JFK thing. Its definitely possible this was supposed to be set real time with 5G, but it works well to add to the idea of Supes as a well travelled hero throughout time and space
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Even the first page, Superman asks Kennedy if he wants his protection in Dallas. Maybe it is natural for Superman to ask this, but for this to happen just before the assassination? I think Superman knew.

Astonishing Member

I'd simply read that scene as a leftover from the 5G plan. Superman debuts in the 1940s, interacts with several historical figures throughout the years including JFK, and - since he doesn't know that JFK is going to die - he offers to be a bodyguard for him in Dallas. JFK refuses, he is killed and Superman has to live with the regret he didn't protect him. Simple as that.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Thought the first issue was great, sets everything up nicely! Morrison’s Manchester Black is exactly what I was hoping for: Rude and abrasive but not totally without a heart.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

This is almost certainly an elseworlds that serves as a blueprint for the main continuity comics

And Jon is a thing...so Lois is alive

There goes my kingdom come theory

Of course Manchester Black thinks you're "finished as a human being" if you become disabled.

What an absolute tool.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Of course Manchester Black thinks you're "finished as a human being" if you become disabled.

What an absolute tool.
    Very in character for a person as insincere and rotten as Manchester

The "lost in time" bit and maybe the King Arthur mention do seem like a revision to explain what this is against a dropped 5G plan. And given its just dialogue wouldn't require much to insert now given this has apparently been in the can for a long time. It's a throw away line that doesn't require any more explanation. This otherwise would have fit right into that timeline they just leaked.

It's definitely a Morrison book. I don't worship at their altar like most here and but this was a decent first issue and even with all the continuity issues it's plastering over it was pretty good. I did especially enjoy the little dig at Kingdom Come:

2AEB8B39-C335-49D1-98E0-3B8C93CEB52C.jpg

Incredible Member

Well, that was a pretty damn good comic. Between how deliciously rotten (while still keeping some inner... I won't say "morals", they're more like "scruples") Manchester Black is, and how clearly pissed off and willing to do morally muddy things Superman is behind that thin veneer of "classic heroism" (while also still being clearly a classic hero), that's some very entertaining friction and hopefully even more to come.

I do believe this Superman was 100% intended to be on the 5G Didio timeline. That line about being lost in time is just there to allow the reader to make mental gymnastics to justify why it's not, and they still sound fake.

Other notes while skimming through it again:
    - Morrison's really milking Manchester Black's title, right? "He's Black!" Even got some sexual innuendo in there.
    - The depiction of how Manchester Black fucks up people's perception was great, as confusing and scary as it had to be.
    - "The rebel always defeats the empire or there's no story" sounds like it will be the general theme of this mini.
    - Manchester almost gets killed exclusively because of how much of an arrogant idiot he is.
    - "Gentlemen. Ladies. Others"
    - I could do without the Kennedy mythologizing.
    - Leave it to Morrison to come up with the best possible take on the "Superman casually levitates while talking to people" trope. "I hope you're impressed"
    - That half-smile Superman has after Manchester accusses him of intentionally causing him agony and that he always had the makings of a sadist or a tyrant says it all, doesn't it?
    - Right after the Action Comics Annual made sure to emphasize how hellish the Phantom Zone was, Superman's insistence of its fairness as a means of punishment just adds to the whole vibe of this version of him.
    - "I hated you first! I can spot a trend a mile off!" Greatness, just greatness.
    - Ursa in the Phantom Zone. Editor asleep at the wheel, I guess, since they couldn't be bothered to change it to Faora.
    - Thought Beast, my kind of fanservice.
    - Some reveal about Kryptonite. I figure whatever it is, it's how this'll tie in with the main continuity.
    - Superman toasting with mineral water and indirectly making Manchester throw up like he couldn't hold his liquor is everything I didn't know I wanted from these two.

Astonishing Member

Kinda Morrison's own take on 5G.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I love that Supes is inclusive in his use of language even in the face of danger"

"Gentlemen. Ladies. Others"

and the he proceeds to save Manny Black's ass