Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I find it unlikely considering that his Action Comics run was extended by one or two issues and like a year or two later he did Multiversity.
    Originally Morrison considered to do only 6 issues, and ended up expanding the story to more:

"It was a little bit of that. I also felt like I'd been brought in to do the early Superman, and as I said before, I was only going to do six issues. But the story grew out, and once I added a few villains, that added some doors to other stuff that could happen. Once I'd done that, I felt that I should at least hint at what happened to Superman over those five years of his early life. "
    https://www.cbr.com/grant-morrison-s...s-of-superman/

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I don't think Morrison was bothered by editorial interference. I always thought the problem was that editorial told him do what he wants, but then they told guys like George Perez that they had to follow Morrison's blueprint, without actually letting Perez know what Morrison was doing and what he had to follow.

If anything, if any Superman writers of the time had little right or reason to complain, it was Morrison.
    There was unquestionably an editorial edict to keep Superman and Lois "platonic" that overarched the entire relaunch. In that sense, the vague hints he laid down were probably the most he was allowed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    There was unquestionably an editorial edict to keep Superman and Lois "platonic" that overarched the entire relaunch. In that sense, the vague hints he laid down were probably the most he was allowed to do.
    That is true, there was an edict, but I never read anything from Morrison about how that discretely affected Morrison's stories or if it even bothered Morrison. Morrison also had far fewer restrictions on what to write compared to Perez.

As for Perez, he was really vocal about his frustrations and quit, and understandably so.

Do we know for sure that Morrison is writing Superdad here? Due to different costume and grey hair some people assumed that it is set in Future State time, but description makes it sound like it is happening now. Might this be old Superbro? After all we saw his young version in Sideways...

That would really surprise me, considering it ties into Warworld stuff going on in Action with the canon Superman. It could be a fun twist though however unlikely.

Though I would definitely prefer him straight-up writing his New 52 Superman over him trying to include his stuff into the current Superman's history, considering I feel its irrevocably broken as is and would be wasted there.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-21-2021 at 12:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    That is true, there was an edict, but I never read anything from Morrison about how that discretely affected Morrison's stories or if it even bothered Morrison. Morrison also had far fewer restrictions on what to write compared to Perez.

As for Perez, he was really vocal about his frustrations and quit, and understandably so.
    There was a story from Gail Simone told several times about her visit with Morrison at Comic Con that year. Despite initially being one of the creators who wanted to get rid of the marriage, Morrison had changed their mind in more recent years and believed the marriage should stay intact. According to Simone, she and Grant had a long convo at comic con the year the new 52 was unveiled specifically about the marriage, how bummed they were etc. that they toasted to Lois and Clark. Gail was very against getting rid of the marriage and, per Gail’s account, Morrison wasn’t down with what was going on either.

I very much believe that they only ever intended to do a short early Superman run and that was it but it was also pretty clear that Morrison had little to no interest in the SM/WW BS which he reportedly said at comic con was “***** stupid.”

So not editorial interference in the general sense we know it (like Andy Diggle quitting so fast) but more his vision was what it was and that was that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    There was a story from Gail Simone told several times about her visit with Morrison at Comic Con that year. Despite initially being one of the creators who wanted to get rid of the marriage, Morrison had changed their mind in more recent years and believed the marriage should stay intact. According to Simone, she and Grant had a long convo at comic con the year the new 52 was unveiled specifically about the marriage, how bummed they were etc. that they toasted to Lois and Clark. Gail was very against getting rid of the marriage and, per Gail’s account, Morrison wasn’t down with what was going on either.

I very much believe that they only ever intended to do a short early Superman run and that was it but it was also pretty clear that Morrison had little to no interest in the SM/WW BS which he reportedly said at comic con was “***** stupid.”

So not editorial interference in the general sense we know it (like Andy Diggle quitting so fast) but more his vision was what it was and that was that.
    Interesting to hear. Makes one wonder what Grant would've done had they stuck around longer.

Hard to say, as honestly I don't really think Morrison has much left to say on the "meat and potatoes" Superman so to speak. So they went and did their definitive ending. Then their definitive beginning. Now this is something completely different. I mean, I'd love to get a long-term standard run out of them again but it just doesn't seem like anything they're interested in, so we'll probably never know for absolute certain what they'd do and what "standard' status quo they'd pick out of all the existing ones. If they warmed up to the marriage that would just happen to be one area in which I differ, as I followed a different path of initially liking it then going completely cold. But that's like, one disagreement out of maybe 95% agreement. They're still by far my favorite modern Superman writer.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-21-2021 at 02:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Interesting to hear. Makes one wonder what Grant would've done had they stuck around longer.
    They were never going to get Clark & Lois remarried, but I do think they would’ve done a better job with her because editorial was hands off when it came to Morrison. Lois was very involved in Morrison Action, and it was cute seeing her and Clark compete for stories, I would’ve liked to have seen more of that rather than the bull crap editorial loaded her with. Also would’ve loved to see Morrison use more of the classic Superman Rogues, they had such cool ideas for so many of them in the Superman 2000 pitch.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think they would have definitely played up the attraction more than they did and we may have seen a variation on the triangle for two as well in that run. It started as an All Star prequel that included a resolution of that triangle after all.

DC were hands off in the sense editorial wasn’t rewriting the scripts on the fly like with Perez, but I don’t think there’s any question Morrison was told to keep things platonic on the surface.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They were never going to get Clark & Lois remarried, but I do think they would’ve done a better job with her because editorial was hands off when it came to Morrison. Lois was very involved in Morrison Action, and it was cute seeing her and Clark compete for stories, I would’ve liked to have seen more of that rather than the bull crap editorial loaded her with. Also would’ve loved to see Morrison use more of the classic Superman Rogues, they had such cool ideas for so many of them in the Superman 2000 pitch.
    Oh I don't doubt that at all. I only wonder if they would've pushed the romance angle a little harder than what we saw at the time where DC was pushing pretty hard on them not even being friendly. In a bubble that Action run is amazing and in a bubble I have no doubts this book will be the same.

If I had to take a stab I'd agree with Vordan and say that they'd have tried to revamp the triangle for two. It seems the most like Morrison to me, to take a really old aspect and try and work it into modern day. They were really good with that when it comes to Superman in a way Johns was good at it with other properties.

For god's sake we're talking about a writer who found a way to work in Lion Superman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post

This story?

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/statu...68053363335168

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Surprising. I think for all of the love Morrison gets for All Star or the cool point abundance for Beyond, the year of 2013 was the best Superman they ever wrote.

I wish I could see this any sort of return to that form, the costume certainly invokes it, but... not so much. Now that I know it's only four issues I expect it to have a pretty short ceiling tbh, even if it is a blast.
    The flaws are in part what I mention above. I think it had the potential to be the seminal modern origin if they kept it more streamlined. I think most classic origins are largely straightforward. But really, just flesh out the hints at the triangle for two and up the romance content along with losing the ugly armor and it’s 90% of the way there. I think the evil imp angle is largely unnecessary too and it should serve as a Brainiac story primarily. I get what the rest of the full 18 issue run was trying to do, but I don’t think it works entirely and definitely not as an introduction to the character.
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-21-2021 at 03:37 PM.

I love how Kal is getting his own Outsiders