Page 13 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I love how Kal is getting his own Outsiders
    He had the Legion once upon a time... but I’m curious to see how this plays out with this specific team.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He had the Legion once upon a time... but I’m curious to see how this plays out with this specific team.
    Manchester is involved so i already things will get interesting. Never a dull moment when that guy is around.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    Manchester is involved so i already things will get interesting. Never a dull moment when that guy is around.

I love that prick. I love that he’s such a petty little **** who loves to thumb his nose at Clark and he’s driven by utter contempt rather than envy like Lex, hatred like Brainiac/Doomsday, or grudging respect like Zod. Utterly fascinated at the idea of Morrison writing him and Clark working together.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

No offense,but the legion was for superboy and silverage guy.Superman needs a rootin tootin action team full of larger than life and personality.I always wanted one with circus theme based on this.

Just change and add on the line up.tex thompson,Vigilante and zatara/zatanna are a must though.add swampthing,nightwing and flamebird,creeper,fire(with her old powerset),Bouncing man(he has grownup)..etc.replace bill congo with animalman or vixen.
    I guess,they don't want to build something like that.too bad really.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-21-2021 at 09:53 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I love Grant so I’ll definitely be picking this up. Kind of excited about him being able to create his own world here, completely free of continuity. Though the team lineup isn’t really exciting. Really couldn’t care less about a female OMAC, Enchantress, and the some new speedster. It’s also odd to have a Superman doppelgänger like Apollo on the team. But I trust Morison to make it work.

Manchester Black on a version of The Authority is kinda like if a member of Squadron Supreme somehow got on the Justice League.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-21-2021 at 10:21 PM.

Considering whole meta history of Authority and The Elite I think it makes sense to combine them into one team. "Honest" take on Authority can't work in DC universe because whole idea behind the universe is different. And doing watered down Authority is a waste - like the one we got in New 52. Manchester Black is also cool character that doesn't really have much space for himself if Authority is around and if he is around then what is the point of watered down Authority? So you know, just throw things together and try to create something that actual works and has a purpose in DC universe. And Morrison is probably perfect writer to attempt that.

As for members, maybe this is where we start, but final line-up might be different.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Considering whole meta history of Authority and The Elite I think it makes sense to combine them into one team. "Honest" take on Authority can't work in DC universe because whole idea behind the universe is different. And doing watered down Authority is a waste - like the one we got in New 52. Manchester Black is also cool character that doesn't really have much space for himself if Authority is around and if he is around then what is the point of watered down Authority? So you know, just throw things together and try to create something that actual works and has a purpose in DC universe. And Morrison is probably perfect writer to attempt that.

As for members, maybe this is where we start, but final line-up might be different.
    I this will be about vigilantism.Morrison kinda always gives this arc where superman starts of this vigilante who breaks laws and beats up Bullies.then he realises this isn't getting anywhere so he becomes the good guy who aspires to be a symbol to people(aka the guy in the cloud,mr. messiah).I believe,morrison will be putting that perspective on these guys.Have superman be there to show why these guys are wrong and manchester black will be part of that.I am not really into these kinda meta commentary.Honestly,it's basically snyder fans vs anti snyder crowds.Boring as heck!.On top of that,i don't believe superman was ever meant to have that arc.I would love "killing is bad" and "these guys should have limits" as absolute perspective.I love many such heroes.But,it should be good.Most of these stories aren't for me.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-21-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

*Eyes his Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes comics longingly* Goodbye, old friends. Your day shall not come again. Yer the boy's team now.

Jokes aside, Morrison is the only reason I'm entertaining this idea. Clark dealing with the Authority by design feels like a Herculean stretch but if anyone's going to land that plane, it's Grant Morrison. I'm actually excited to see what they have planned for the book and I was dreading it as a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I love Grant so I’ll definitely be picking this up. Kind of excited about him being able to create his own world here, completely free of continuity. Though the team lineup isn’t really exciting. Really couldn’t care less about a female OMAC, Enchantress, and the some new speedster. It’s also odd to have a Superman doppelgänger like Apollo on the team. But I trust Morison to make it work.

Manchester Black on a version of The Authority is kinda like if a member of Squadron Supreme somehow got on the Justice League.
    I think the reason Apollo will be on the team is that Clark is going to have reduced power levels on account of what’s going down in PKJ’s stories. So Clark will be back to his New 52 Action/Golden Age power levels. But the tradeoff is I think Morrison is going to lean hard into Clark’s intelligence. As has been pointed out on social media, Clark is looking very Tom Strong design wise on that cover:

I think we’re going to get a Clark who has to rely pretty strongly on his years of experience, his often underused House El genius, and Kryptonian super tech and that excites the hell out of me. Science hero Clark is a very cool take. Also it’s hilarious that Morrison is writing a “t-shirt and jeans” Superman again, but a very different kind of t-shirt and jeans Superman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    *Eyes his Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes comics longingly* Goodbye, old friends. Your day shall not come again. Yer the boy's team now.

Jokes aside, Morrison is the only reason I'm entertaining this idea. Clark dealing with the Authority by design feels like a Herculean stretch but if anyone's going to land that plane, it's Grant Morrison. I'm actually excited to see what they have planned for the book and I was dreading it as a concept.
    Yeah I’ve done a complete 180 from when I first heard the concept lmao. I can trust Morrison to not go down the obvious route others would take with this, and just the idea of Black and Kal working together gets me excited. Throw in Ultra-Humanite and God, this is probably going to be the most usage his classic Rogues are going to get for a while

Astonishing Member

I think the reason Apollo will be on the team is that Clark is going to have reduced power levels on account of what’s going down in PKJ’s stories. So Clark will be back to his New 52 Action/Golden Age power levels. But the tradeoff is I think Morrison is going to lean hard into Clark’s intelligence. As has been pointed out on social media, Clark is looking very Tom Strong design wise on that cover:

I think we’re going to get a Clark who has to rely pretty strongly on his years of experience, his often underused House El genius, and Kryptonian super tech and that excites the hell out of me. Science hero Clark is a very cool take. Also it’s hilarious that Morrison is writing a “t-shirt and jeans” Superman again, but a very different kind of t-shirt and jeans Superman!

Yeah I’ve done a complete 180 from when I first heard the concept lmao. I can trust Morrison to not go down the obvious route others would take with this, and just the idea of Black and Kal working together gets me excited. Throw in Ultra-Humanite and God, this is probably going to be the most usage his classic Rogues are going to get for a while
    I hate that this has been so underutilized with Clark in preference for his traditional physical powers which has led to many to misconstrue his overall intelligence, falsely equating his humility as him being overall dumb.

Don't know about superman just copying another hero.I have said it before.but what the heck! i get a hero i can actually like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    So,does this mean the og superman with police badge s is canon?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-23-2021 at 03:18 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Guys, it's all canon now. Everything that was published within the mainline DC books over the past 80+ years is now a part of the character's in-universe history. The details are, of course, fuzzy, but it's all there now.

They simply aren't going to get bogged down in the details anymore.

BANNED

When it comes to superman one of the things that bothers me the most is that he loses his power, but in this case it excites me, the possibility of seeing an intelligent superman who acts as a human / Kryptpnian and not as a human / redneck from the farm , it's something I've been waiting for a long time. I hope to see a superman with the personality of the new 52 action comic but a little more mature.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

I think Clark and the Authority might line up a little better than we'd immediately assume.

In the original comics the Authority were sick and tired of superheroes not really making a "real" difference and decided to save/change the world, whether the world wanted it or not. Ignore all the gratuitous murder and vice and just look at their motivations, then compare that to the various examples of Clark going against the government, his fellow heroes, and providing ultimatums to anyone who doesn't agree with him.

And in the scheme of Grant Morrison's "personal" Super history, because in Grant's head all their Super work is part of a single narrative, we're talking about the guy who said "Treat people right, Metropolis, or expect a visit from me!" and later in life created an army with the Super Squadron who changed the face of the universe in Clark's image.

Clark's not necessarily against the Authority's basic principal of "saving the world from itself." He just isn't such a dick about it.

I think Clark, in his new purview as a political operator, working with an Authority-like group off-world.....yeah, I can see that. It's like Golden Age Clark was the college kid protesting on the streets, and now as an adult he's gone into politics to root out corruption from within the system. Clark and the Authority dropping down on Warworld and giving Mongul a ultimatum while freeing the citizen-prisoners? Sounds like something the Authority would do, just with less drugs, drinking, and needless murder than what we saw at WS. And it sounds like something Golden Age Clark would do, if he had the raw power back then to back it up.

I'm not saying it's a clean mix, because obviously the Authority don't fit with Clark or his methods, but I do think there's more overlap than we're giving them credit for, especially if we ignore the more....conservative....versions of Clark who seemed more intent on upholding the status quo. Most Supermen are agents of change, and in this he and the Authority share some common ground.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Clark and the Authority might line up a little better than we'd immediately assume.

In the original comics the Authority were sick and tired of superheroes not really making a "real" difference and decided to save/change the world, whether the world wanted it or not. Ignore all the gratuitous murder and vice and just look at their motivations, then compare that to the various examples of Clark going against the government, his fellow heroes, and providing ultimatums to anyone who doesn't agree with him.

And in the scheme of Grant Morrison's "personal" Super history, because in Grant's head all their Super work is part of a single narrative, we're talking about the guy who said "Treat people right, Metropolis, or expect a visit from me!" and later in life created an army with the Super Squadron who changed the face of the universe in Clark's image.

Clark's not necessarily against the Authority's basic principal of "saving the world from itself." He just isn't such a dick about it.

I think Clark, in his new purview as a political operator, working with an Authority-like group off-world.....yeah, I can see that. It's like Golden Age Clark was the college kid protesting on the streets, and now as an adult he's gone into politics to root out corruption from within the system. Clark and the Authority dropping down on Warworld and giving Mongul a ultimatum while freeing the citizen-prisoners? Sounds like something the Authority would do, just with less drugs, drinking, and needless murder than what we saw at WS. And it sounds like something Golden Age Clark would do, if he had the raw power back then to back it up.

I'm not saying it's a clean mix, because obviously the Authority don't fit with Clark or his methods, but I do think there's more overlap than we're giving them credit for, especially if we ignore the more....conservative....versions of Clark who seemed more intent on upholding the status quo. Most Supermen are agents of change, and in this he and the Authority share some common ground.
    In the golden age, superman was a man, today he is a symbol, so I think that if in this comic we see something close to that superman, it would fit perfectly. Also there is something that I think will be explored in this comic, Superman will not only be part of the team, he will also be there to control them, to prevent them from going to the extreme, and I suppose the team will do something similar with him.