Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Loved the interview and the art looks amazing! It really seems that Grant enjoyed breaking down the concepts involved and fitting them together. Superman and The Authority shouldn’t work as the team was created to be an F You to traditional superhero teams that just fight bad guys and don’t actually solve world problems. It sounds like he really found a great twist here. I can definitely see Golden Age Superman as the precursor to The Authority.

Loved his response to the evil/dictator Superman trope.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Grant calling out the "dead Lois = unstable, evil Superman" for the steaming pile of bullshit it is gives me life
    So nice. So very very nice. The more writers generally inspired by their Superman takes, the better.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-29-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'm so glad Morrison is unafraid to call out how uncharacteristic it would be for Superman to turn into an evil despot because of Lois' death. They really highlight how nonsensical it would be for Superman to completely go against his principles and ethical code because of the death of a loved one. Despite the current popularity of evil Superman in Injustice or Zack Snyder's Superman, along with evil Superman analogues, it's a breath of fresh air to see my favourite comic writer call out this trend.

Not to stop the train of positivity, but this line also stood out to me:

And bringing in Superman changes everything because, when they came to me with it, they said, "We want Superman to go kind of authoritarian." And I just do not like the idea that Superman would ever be dictatorial or would watch his loved ones die and not be able to deal with it like the rest of us do. I wanted to do a Superman that was older and made very different choices and did something that looked authoritarian but was way bigger and way more sci-fi and that was kind of the idea.
    Thank you, Grant Morrison, for sticking to your guns.

Astonishing Member

One page suggests Superman was active in the 60s.

Morrison knows how to sell it:

If you don't read this, you'll probably die!
    This interview makes it kinda interesting how does it fit into other things and how continuity is supposed to work here. On the other hand it wouldn't be the first time that Morrison's work is "supposed to fit", but doesn't.

Also, in defence of Snyder - Superman doesn't go tyrant after Lois dies, he is just vulnerable at that moment so that Dakrseid can infect him with ALE. End result is same, but how it is done to me is way, way better than what Injustice did.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Also, in defence of Snyder - Superman doesn't go tyrant after Lois dies, he is just vulnerable at that moment so that Dakrseid can infect him with ALE. End result is same, but how it is done to me is way, way better than what Injustice did.
    Then Darkseid should've gone after WW, too, because 100 years wasn't enough time for her to get over Steve Trevor's death.

Astonishing Member

Great interview.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Not to stop the train of positivity, but this line also stood out to me:

Thank you, Grant Morrison, for sticking to your guns.
    Maybe I’m just beaten down but that line didn’t surprise me at all. Wasn’t that the original gist of the idea per Bleeding Cool when they leaked Jon becoming Superman for 5G and Clark putting together an Authority team? Morrison clearly had different plans.

I get why DC wanted that, Injustice is absolutely massive comics wise, you go on the DC Infinite app and the I1 and I2 comics are in the “most read” section every time I’ve gone there. They clearly think some of that attitude would boost Clark’s sales and maybe they aren’t wrong. I think Batman beating the **** out of Supes is a stronger part of the appeal though.
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Morrison knows how to sell it:

This interview makes it kinda interesting how does it fit into other things and how continuity is supposed to work here. On the other hand it wouldn't be the first time that Morrison's work is "supposed to fit", but doesn't.

I’m sure Morrison will do what they want and let DC figure out how to slot it into canon. Frankly that suits me just fine, if canon is screwed I’ll take an entertaining story over continuity any day.

I’d probably have been more charitable if he wasn’t the only one corrupted, which considering the rest are still holding on even after Darkseid has destroyed the planet and presumably killed all of their families as well, makes him look weak.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think,I am gonna like manchester black.would have given a foil for clark myself.
    "You know why that didn't work? You talk a good game but you don't follow through!"
    This should have been lois..I might add,without the anger.
    ...Also glad that morrison says this would be connected to his action comics run than all star.As the Cosmic heavenly father stuff.Pass!he might find that something worth appreciating.I am just not into characterisation like that.So,hopefully people who like that can have that.i will just take the bits/pieces i like and the ofcourse there is jon to be a different kind of superman(a man of action kicking ass.Not some skyfather figure).i prefer superman being just an alien guy that's trying to live his life by doing the right thing,best he could without chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Superman and The Authority shouldn’t work as the team was created to be an F You to traditional superhero teams that just fight bad guys and don’t actually solve world problems. It sounds like he really found a great twist here. I can definitely see Golden Age Superman as the precursor to The Authority.
    Actually,superman was doing the same.Just to characters like flash gordon,john carter and others..Just flipping their whole shtick..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-29-2021 at 01:09 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

As much as I’m dreading Son of Kal El is exactly how much I’m excited for Superman and the Authority

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    One page suggests Superman was active in the 60s.
    I wonder if this was put into place when Didio was coming up with his crazy 80 year storyline.

Ok, after reading this interview I caved. I asked my LCS to add it to my pull list. I, in no way, shape or form, want to support the current direction of the Superman line. I have no interest at all and don't like what I see. It still sticks in my craw a little that this is tied to the current run in some way. Though the idea of a Superman who's decided he needs to step in because we screwed things up so bad is very intriguing. Especially penned by Morrison, who loves Superman so. Morrison sold me on the concept. I still wish it was it's own thing, but hey, it sounds like a good story.

Extraordinary Member

Grant Morrison taking a break from DC after Superman & The Authority
    Although Superman and the Authority will be released after the recent finale of The Green Lantern, Morrison actually wrote this "little secret series" in 2018, before they finished The Green Lantern - with some behind-the-scenes delays leading to it be released out of order.

BANNED

Kal being active for 80 years isn’t that hard to do continuity wise

Lana Lang could be an agent carter figure that kept Clark connected to humanity till her death in the 70s...causing him to leave earth till his return in the early 21st century

Leading to our current era

You could even have Vietnam and the rise of Reaganism be the cause of his disillusionment along with the death of Lana.

Lois and Luthor can be 21st century characters with the ultra-Humanite as Clark’s arch-nemesis in the 20th century since world war 2

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    As much as I’m dreading Son of Kal El is exactly how much I’m excited for Superman and the Authority
    what's there to dread about?taylor is some what "classic" superman fan.That's the bit i am fearing.Jon becoming another space dad flying "paragon"..I would wish something daring and reckless with jon..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"