Page 24 of 78 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Not to stop the train of positivity, but this line also stood out to me:

Thank you, Grant Morrison, for sticking to your guns.
    We are at least in good hands with Morrison and (at least so far) Johnson, but that does tell us where their heads are at and I'm not digging it.

Not surprising, some of the folks here had figured this out some time ago.

No surprise. I’ve loved their Superman work and am fine with this being the last. However if they were to ever come back, I want a Flash story from them! Flash is their favorite character and their Barry in The Wild Hunt and Wally in JLA are both some of my favorite characterizations.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I was surprised when the announced Superman and the Authority, since Morrison have said it would be their last work on DC for a while. I thought they have changed their mind, but now we know S&TA was written first.

But it's cool that Morrison last published work for DC for a while would be Superman related.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

DC wanted Supes going authoritarian to make Super Jon looking good, isn't it? 🙄

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    DC wanted Supes going authoritarian to make Super Jon looking good, isn't it? ��
    Cue invincble meme "Think jon, think!"
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No surprise. I’ve loved their Superman work and am fine with this being the last. However if they were to ever come back, I want a Flash story from them! Flash is their favorite character and their Barry in The Wild Hunt and Wally in JLA are both some of my favorite characterizations.
    Not surprising that it's their last work for a while but it is a surprise that the story was written back in 2018 - think it means that this will connect to PKJ's stuff more thematically than being a tight tie-in continuity wise.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I think,I am gonna like manchester black.would have given a foil for clark myself.
    "You know why that didn't work? You talk a good game but you don't follow through!"
    This should have been lois..I might add,without the anger.
    ...Also glad that morrison says this would be connected to his action comics run than all star.As the Cosmic heavenly father stuff.Pass!he might find that something worth appreciating.I am just not into characterisation like that.So,hopefully people who like that can have that.i will just take the bits/pieces i like and the ofcourse there is jon to be a different kind of superman(a man of action kicking ass.Not some skyfather figure).i prefer superman being just an alien guy that's trying to live his life by doing the right thing,best he could without chains.

Actually,superman was doing the same.Just to characters like flash gordon,john carter and others..Just flipping their whole shtick..
    Did you read the interview my friend? Morrison isn’t making Clark go full Injustice, but it does sound like they’re pushing Clark to his limit when it comes to tolerating what us humans are doing to ourselves. Sounds really interesting.

Manchester Black is constantly trying to get through Superman's defenses but, ultimately, Superman is just a really nice dude and he's just trying his best and sometimes he's messed up and doesn't know how humans think.

But I think there's a certain degree of, if he's that powerful, couldn't he change things? We're kind of leaning into the idea that he's a really good man and wants to do the best for us but he's not actually human. He doesn't want to break us but he's gotten to the point where he thinks maybe he should break us, maybe we need this. It's slightly scarier than Superman as an authoritarian dad with heat vision eyes, it's more of an alien perspective saying, "I've had enough of you. You've been messing up too long and are really going to hurt yourselves if I don't do something."

All-Star was about Superman at the end of his life and this is a slightly different take which connects way more with the Action Comics stuff I had done, with the firebrand, radical Superman. It's always easy to get into his head, he's so beautiful. [laughs] You just have to think of what someone really cared, like a dad who really loves you and will die for you but you don't get it; doing it that way, instead of putting all of our problems on him, because I don't think he's like us.

That's what's great and what's tragic about Superman, I want to go back to that, that's what really interests me about the character. How do you really do the notion of the attrition of the omniscient, with him looking at everything with his X-Ray vision and he's creepy and authoritarian? How do you get away from that? This is bigger than that, this is like your dad coming to pick you up after you've been drunk for a night. What if we're really fucking up and he's the one person who says, "You're fucking up and I'm going to have to step in."
    I dig the emphasis on how alien Clark is compared to us. The repeated references to Clark as a stern dad figure was interesting as well, so they’re really leaning into his age and veteran status here. I like the connection to the Action Comics stuff, and I definitely got New 52 era vibes from that panel of Clark with glowing eyes as he’s punching the ground.

Yeah, bring it on.

Edit: I’m reminded of a Doctor Who quote where the Doctor yells in a burst of frustration towards humans, “You’re all the same, you screaming kids, you know that?”

Also Clark’s way of dealing and thinking about humans because of his alienness would be a fascinating contrast against Jon who has a half-human perspective.
    Last edited by oneveryfineday; 06-29-2021 at 01:42 PM.

I know the series hadn’t started yet, but I’m wondering if we’ll be getting a more regular series out of this. This will probably be my first exposure to Apollo and midnighter, and this will be the first time I’ll see enchantress in awhile. I’m not sure yet, but I might like to see more of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Not to stop the train of positivity, but this line also stood out to me:

Thank you, Grant Morrison, for sticking to your guns.
    Yeah, this is why I'm very concerned about what happens when this book is finished. With Morrison I trust them to be able to make the idea work for Superman. After that? I don't trust DC at all with where they go next. If they want him authoritarian (and yes I believe 100% that desire is once again to accommodate the push of Jon in the "classic" role), they'll continue that with the strong risk of it lacking any of the nuance that Morrison will likely craft to make this particular story still work for him. That's not a shot at Johnson if he's the one who continues it. But he nor much anyone else maybe outside of Waid is going to have the creative control that Morrison demands.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-29-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    DC wanted Supes going authoritarian to make Super Jon looking good, isn't it? ��
    I’m going to reserve judgement until I see what Jon actually does. I heard that at one point, he was going to shrink metropolis to protect it from something or other.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I know the series hadn’t started yet, but I’m wondering if we’ll be getting a more regular series out of this. This will probably be my first exposure to Apollo and midnighter, and this will be the first time I’ll see enchantress in awhile. I’m not sure yet, but I might like to see more of this team.
    If it’s a big success I’m sure DC will want to continue it somehow. Right now it just seems to be impacting the stories in Action and S:SoKE. Don’t know who would be available and willing to write it, Morrison wrote this a while ago and is done with DC for now, and Ellis is obviously not an option. They could ask Steve Orlando if he’d be interested but I can’t think of anyone else who would be interested or able to do more with this incarnation.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

It's always easy to get into his head, he's so beautiful.
    I think this hits on what came up on one of the other boards about how they never seem to get a writer who really knows Superman enough to write him effectively and make consistently great stories. Well, here we have Morrison saying its "easy"... if there's anyone who knows how to write this guy well, its Grant. Although in fairness, they're on they're on level in this regard

I liked the Johnny Rotten and Elvis metaphor as the "emotional spine of the story." Was already pretty excited about it, but this interview kicked it up to 11.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

BANNED

Superman and the authority ongoing would find a writer somehow

They’re are bound to be a lot of writers who love Apollo and Midnighter enough to write this series where Superman is also co-starring

I’m happy we got this return to DC with GL, Wonder Woman Earth One, and Superman and the Authority. Really wasn’t expecting to have Grant back so it was a nice surprise. Anything he does now is just icing on the cake of his great career. I would love to see a sequel to Multiversity since the first one ended with a reveal of the true big bad.

I’m kind of glad he’s going to be doing more tv shows. It’s well past time that he gets more recognition from mainstream audiences as one of the best comic writers of his generation.