Page 32 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    The problem with this idea is NOT superman, it's the humans in his life
    Not only his human cast, the Clark Kent identity is also affected. It means Superman is going on full Connor McCloud style, rebranding himself as his son, and workinfg on the same place for over 50 years?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Not only his human cast, the Clark Kent identity is also affected. It means Superman is going on full Connor McCloud style, rebranding himself as his son, and workinfg on the same place for over 50 years?
    That’s why my pitch works best

Clark leaves earth in the late 70s after the death of his first family and the floating timeline kicks in

Superman is in space and that allows for a cut off point between his old life and current life

Lois, jimmy, and the daily planet doesn’t have to exist till he comes back, just like how captain America’s floating timeline is easy to rationalize since he has been asleep for decades

What you get is decades of cosmic adventures that can be used as an antagonist factory as Superman’s “lost villains” come to earth for revenge against Kal for something he did to them while in space.

Superman returns to earth, gets a new job working at the daily planet under a similar alias to his old one and meets Lois, the daily star was his original job with Lana and Pete Ross as his circle of friends, no one would suspect anything because most of those who worked for the daily star are dead.

The only one who would truly know Superman’s identity are literally 6 feet underground, or would die before revealing it(Alan Scott, Wonder Woman, and the justice society)

You can even have a plot point where the daily star was destroyed and its records are lost forever, and you can do the same for Clark’s birth certificate in Smallville.

The daily star was replaced by the daily planet with a different staff
    Last edited by kryptonian; 07-15-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think there's multiple ways they could make a long-lived Superman work that would also include Lois & Clark, Jimmy, Perry, and everyone from his supporting cast.

Due to the public's newfound knowledge of all the multiversal time shenanigans that have affected billions of people's lives and memories, they could easily handwave away all the people whose lives have been regularly rebooted each time history was rejiggered. This is made much easier thanks to Clark's secret identity being public knowledge, but it could still work whenever they inevitably decide to restore the secret identity again.

Now, does this mean that the monthly comics are going to regularly refer to the fact that Lois & Clark have lived multiple histories that span more than eight decades? Nope, but the option is certainly there if any creator needs to refer to historical event they want Superman or Lois to have been present for.

At least that's how I'd do it, but who knows how this will actually play out in practice.

This how I worked it out for my DCU history anyways...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 07-15-2021 at 11:30 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Morrison doesn't care about tiny details.he is taking a broad strokes history of superman in a character centeric sort of way.Lois,jimmy..etc are irrelevant to that.. it's about superman and his cause(truth and justice).It's about having him introspect his history without having him mope.what choices lead to where he is..what choices he could done differently.. The whole "a team that doesn't scream justice league" itself tells you what and why he is doing it.(because there is a perception that jl is a bunch of saviors who think they can save humanity..)

Now, Morrison believes in savior figure.. Clark's whole outlook is painted with that brush..i would say that's the fundamental problem why superman is kept irrelevant.But, Morrison argues otherwise.with Morrison atleast, i believe the character that aren't reverant towards superman and his shtick can will provide something tangible for those who say " i am not here for you to civilse.Get your morality and eff off"
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

If it worked for Tom Strong and Alan Moore's Supreme there is no reason to think it couldn't work for Superman, too.
    The problem is, they really should put some effort in the stories and the worldbuilding. So it won't work.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

One of the reasons why I was curious about Didio's timeline was that there were lots of possibilities out there. And frankly few posts here speculating how it could all work sound more interesting to me than the stuff that currently is happening in monthlies.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    The problem is, they really should put some effort in the stories and the worldbuilding. So it won't work.
    Yeah, this is really what it boils down to. If something like this was going on in Batman's corner I'd have faith that DC is putting some of its top talent and lots of hours in making it work. With Superman? And by extension Wonder Woman starting during WW1 or WW2? Forget it.

So what this is going to be? Easiest explanation would be that this is E-42157 version of Clark and Morrison would have no problems with it. But I'll be probably disappointed thinking about what could have been.

Another thing about publication schedule, whats the rush? Original schedule basically had DC drop entire 4 issues in 50 days. If they want it out in September so that following month PJK could begin his big storyline then they could have started publishing it in June. And either way PJK already confirmed that some form of Authority will be featured in Action Comics. So whats the rush? Are there some big bombs in #4? Does something in #1 spoil what recently happened in Action?

I think people are over thinking this. In Infinite Frontier normal civilians now remember Crisises and other multiverse events. So I'm assuming Superman does as well. It's probably just him recalling his time as the Silver Age Superman. They aren't going to rewrite the entire Universe in this miniseries to incorporate Didio's timeline. That isn't happening like it was supposed too. They half assed it with people recalling vaguely there having been other timelines.

I don't see how this new set up of a hundred year old Superman could work without a hard reboot. It's too big of a change to do any other way.
    It irritates me how much of Didio's 5G plan is still shaping DC after they said they weren't going to do it due to negative fan reaction. It makes it look like the company is running on autopilot without Didio.

Well the solicits show the Authority right on the Action Comics cover for October

ACTION COMICS #1036- "THE WARWORLD SAGA BEGINS! After learning of an enslaved race with mysterious ties to Krypton, Superman and the Authority travel across the galaxy to dethrone the new Mongul and liberate Warworld. Introducing new characters and a new corner of the DC Universe, the biggest Superman event since the Death and Return of Superman begins HERE!"

https://www.lunardistribution.com/fi...connect_15.pdf
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Kind of weird he is in his normal costume compared to the miniseries suit but whatever

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think people are over thinking this. In Infinite Frontier normal civilians now remember Crisises and other multiverse events. So I'm assuming Superman does as well. It's probably just him recalling his time as the Silver Age Superman. They aren't going to rewrite the entire Universe in this miniseries to incorporate Didio's timeline. That isn't happening like it was supposed too. They half assed it with people recalling vaguely there having been other timelines.
    You are likely correct but I cannot stress enough how much of a turn off this all is to me. Even putting aside how problematic Morrison is at this point (because yes Morrison is a problematic individual with a ridiculous history of misogyny at this point so my tolerance for them is already pretty low) I just have absolutely zero interest in any of this.

Combined with Philip Kennedy Johnson, this is the least interested I’ve been in Superman comics in almost a decade. Even during the new 52—which I loathed—I stuck around. But this is just all a big nothing to me. There’s nothing to grab on to, nothing to invest in….it’s just nothing to me.

In a way it’s freeing tbh. There’s a great Superman who is actually recognizable as Superman on TV right now so it frees me from having to give a crap about whatever the heck this is.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 07-16-2021 at 07:10 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I don't see how this new set up of a hundred year old Superman could work without a hard reboot. It's too big of a change to do any other way.
    It irritates me how much of Didio's 5G plan is still shaping DC after they said they weren't going to do it due to negative fan reaction. It makes it look like the company is running on autopilot without Didio.
    It’s the least interested I’ve been in Superman in years. Usually, even if an idea seems bad, I feel compelled to at least hate read it. This is just a big nothing.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 07-16-2021 at 07:11 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Kinda funny,this is the only superman i am interested in.It's the closest i will ever get a scifi action hero...atleast they are trying something..not that the action will be good.atleast clark is moving around..doing things..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-16-2021 at 07:16 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Kind of weird he is in his normal costume compared to the miniseries suit but whatever
    Different Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Different Superman.
    It’s literally the exact same team and line-up though, the miniseries is about him recruiting this team of individuals for this purpose. Both writers have said it’s canon to the story going on in Action.
    Last edited by sifighter; 07-16-2021 at 07:37 AM.
    Words to live by.