Page 35 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    the size difference is a bit odd. Kennedy was 6'1 in real life, so these panels have Superman looking like he's over 7 feet tall.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am loving Manchester black already!!!this looks like the best superman book since klan and up in the sky..Heck!better than it..
    "Truth, justice and a better world" seems to be Morrison's idea and he forshadows jon.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Either way I'll just enjoy it standalone for what it is. With or without this, Superman's lore isn't ever going to make sense again, I've pretty much accepted that. The timeline's already shattered, throwing more rocks on the pieces can't really break it any more.

The second concept gives a pretty full-fledged, albeit black and white, idea as to how the current Authority look would look as a proper costume. Lose the gloves, add the cape, standard S, and it would look sharp as a main look.
    Treating this as Morrison’s “DKR for Superman” is how I am approaching it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    the size difference is a bit odd. Kennedy was 6'1 in real life, so these panels have Superman looking like he's over 7 feet tall.
    Yeah, looks like Clark ate his wheaties.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, looks like Clark ate his wheaties.
    Or Cheerios. (always found that product placement in Superman the Movie pretty amusing )
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Or Cheerios. (always found that product placement in Superman the Movie pretty amusing )
    Haha, I was just explaining to my friend recently how the Cheerios box was placed so conspicuously, and the face of the box even magically turned around.

I could do without the romanticization of the Kennedy administration, but this looks like it could be good.

BANNED

My brother had a pretty awesome theory

That this is an standalone comic and that what we are seeing is kingdom come superman

That is why Lois is suspiciously absent in any of the previews of this comic

KC Lois died in a modern setting though, not in or before 1963. Kingdom Come operated on a timeline similar to the post-Crisis Earth until things veered off for the future tangent. Too many things don't line up for this to be Earth 22. And I don't think its necessarily suspicious that Lois is absent thus far. I mean the preview is Superman meeting with the President in the White House Makes perfect sense why Lois wouldn't be in that scene. Beyond that we have nothing. Further, far too little is known of the circumstances of the timeline in the first place to make any assumptions about Lois' status wholesale.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Treating this as Morrison’s “DKR for Superman” is how I am approaching it.
    That's an interesting way to approach it. Its hard for me to get a feel yet, personally.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2021 at 01:41 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Not as amusing as Superman II.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    KC Lois died in a modern setting though, not in or before 1963. Kingdom Come operated on a timeline similar to the post-Crisis Earth until things veered off for the future tangent. Too many things don't line up for this to be Earth 22. And I don't think its necessarily suspicious that Lois is absent thus far. I mean the preview is Superman meeting with the President in the White House Makes perfect sense why Lois wouldn't be in that scene. Beyond that we have nothing. Further, far too little is known of the circumstances of the timeline in the first place to make any assumptions about Lois' status wholesale.

That's an interesting way to approach it. Its hard for me to get a feel yet, personally.
    If Superman debuted in the 60s, Lois is likely dead of old age or some other cause at this point. This isn’t Kingdom Come Superman, but it’s seemingly very much approaching a similar world state. Old Clark who has become disillusioned with the world, living in his Fortress, but is ultimately pushed into coming out of retirement one last time. The difference is that whereas KC Superman came out to essentially beat down the new generation and was very authoritarian, this Clark seems to be getting pushed out of retirement by Manchester Black of all people, the embodiment of the sort of “anti-hero” KC Superman would’ve hated. So instead of Superman fighting the new gen because “back in my day we did things right” this Superman seems to be going “you know maybe you had a point, maybe I was a failure, maybe I need to change how I do things” and teaming up with the new generation instead. But this is Morrison so I highly doubt this will be Clark going “yeah let’s KILL THEM ALL” and being murder happy.

Instead I’m guessing that Clark is going to acknowledge that Manchester Black had a point in that he was letting the world go to hell by only concerning himself with supervillains and Crises instead of tackling other kinds of problems like climate change or what have you. I predict that the big conflict between Clark and Manchester run the book will be the struggle to find a medium between Clark’s non-interventionist, non-lethal stance and Manchester’s pro-interventionist, pro-lethal stance. Intervening in world affairs without killing people is how Clark will try to approach it, that’s my big guess.

Hah yeah I was thinking about how there are some pretty strong comparisons to DKR alongside Kingdom Come. Here you have a hero who is older and weaker (I’m wagering that unlike KC getting stronger this Clark gets weaker with age) who has to rely more on his brains than his brawn, who has retired as a failure, who takes an anti-government stance, who has to tackle some of his greatest foes, who has as a partner a member of the younger generation (Manchester& the Authority/Carrie Kelly) and who ultimately might have to “die” at least in the public eye (I don’t think this Clark will survive this story, especially if E0 Clark winds up leading this Authority team to Warworld).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Not as amusing as Superman II.

I always have a bowl of Cheerios, a bottle of Coke, and a few Marlboros for breakfast. Don't you?

Alright I just read the first issue, a lot of talking but it sets up the mission and the main enemy of ultra-humanite and what he might be up to. Oh yeah and they do explain the Kennedy thing.

spoilers:
    it sounds like he was in the 60’s because of time travel, he says he was lost in time and he speaks of Kennedy as though he was doomed.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I always have a bowl of Cheerios, a bottle of Coke, and a few Marlboros for breakfast. Don't you?
    Now, that's the Breakfast of Champions, ha
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I think its ok to not use spoiler tags in this thread?

Anyway, I love that Morrison is continuing to use "multiple Camelots" idea and kinda connects Kennedy to it.
    Being lost in time also explains why Kennedy asks him to come out of shadows, Clark was probably time travelled there and did some covert things in order to not "break" the timeline. On the other hand picture on the wall would indicate that Wonder Woman's adventures started during WW2 or earlier. This kinda tracks with what her creative team has said on twitter or reddit thread about Diana being older than we think.
    I found it rather funny that Black is written a bit like someone from Antifa.

I bought it today and enjoyed it.