Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Oh very interesting.

I like that it doesn't quite matter if this is present-day continuity or not, I'm sure it'll still somehow be a "Chapter" in the sort of Morrison Canon. With Janin's depiction of Superman and costume, and Midnighter, and the nature of The Authority, and all that other stuff, I thought to myself, I mean, perfect place for Grayson, Agent of Spyral to show up somehow. But ignoring scratching that itch ...

Superman interacting with Midnighter and Apollo should be cool. I'd be curious to see which old school Authority members also might appear in any way shape or form. An O.M.A.C., no matter who, is a good choice for inclusion ... other than like, the Batman of 3000 or more mainly, the Legion, OMAC (and Kamandi) was probably the first DCU alt future that "really stuck" as a possible alt future scenario or elseworld. And of course it's Kirby's "Near Future". And the interplay between like, a Morrison Superman and a WildStorm Midnighter & Apollo can really only be strengthened by putting Kirby's OMAC stuff alongside it.

Manchester Black is not only the obvious choice for inclusion but almost feels necessary to the whole premise. Superman already did the Authority riff story with the Elite, so it's really something kind of synchronistic to get him in here (recently Tomasi did some quite nice work with him and I suspect Grant will have read that). I'll reserve any expectations for later but just highlighting that I'm very excited for this specific mix of characters. One presumes "Brother Eye" is a factor as well. OMAC appears female, which is good coverage and could have interesting implications. Natasha is a great choice for such a group. If that is the neo-Black Racer I'm intrigued, because Black Racer is quite an appropriate character for that interpretation to stick and follows in the footsteps of how Morrison picked up Shilo Norman and took him to his next step (another series I'm looking forward to). To say nothing of just the whole "Oh right, and "The Death God of God Death" is on our team." To say nothing of a foot in the Fourth World door and a second Kirby avenue. Between Supes himself, Authority coverage, Joe Kelly coverage, a little Louise Simonson coverage, Kirby - particularly "Superman interacting with Kirby" coverage, I'm extremely excited (I've just been using HBO MAX to rewatch S:TAS and have been giddy about how smartly they use Kirby (and a bit of that post-COIE Byrne filter) to flesh out and make Metropolis feel like it has its own things going on.)

In general, I think it's a good creative team, a good idea for a limited, and if there's legs to the idea it seems likely to me that a two-part limited by a high profile team like this could springboard him handing it off to a hand-picked successor to actually then do a lengthy 'run', but that's not "needed" or "required", just something to think about.

I will say that if this took place "specifically" during Future State events, I feel like ... a clandestine super-hero unit with Superman, Apollo, Midnighter and the like, would have shut down the Magistrate in Gotham in about 45 minutes.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 03-23-2021 at 09:03 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Morrison is like the only person I would feel confident writing this kind of premise.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I've never been interested in the Authority really but this is easily the most interested I've been in the regular line since Leviathan started.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Ona different note, I love Supes' costume here. THAT is a costume which I could see in a movie.
    Reminds me of Tom Strong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Reminds me of Tom Strong.
    It's basically a more sophisticated evolution of T-Shirt Superman, belt included, but without the element which mostly bugged me about SuperBro, that is the mantle.
    Seriously, T-Shirt Superman with the mantle on always looked like a cheap cosplayer to me.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That to me is the best redesign they've put on a page. I mean it's not a huge competition but it so easily does everything I'd check off
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Excited to see where this goes

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I always felt that Morrison is likely to return because he loves DC Universe too much to stay away, but I wasn't expecting it so soon.

It lists it as being 136 pages long so might be two oversized issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    At one hand, seeing Superman team up with the Authority is weird, on the other hand, Morrison hasn't failed me when it comes to Superman, even in one of his misses Final Crisis, his writing on Superman was one of the plus sides of that event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hot damn I was not expecting this, but you better believe I’m excited! Guessing this is Morrison trying to merge some of the stuff he tried to do with Superman in his Action run with DC’s plans for the character in the future. Also a redemption attempt for Morrison’s failures with Wildstorm last time.

Also Morrison writing Manchester Black is something I’ve always wanted but never thought would happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Morrison was too busy with Batman and the 52 weekly.

His pitch for the Wildcats book:
    https://sites.google.com/a/deepspace...storm-proposal
    Polite reminder that Morrison uses They/Them pronouns

Astonishing Member

It's a very blue collar costume design he has on. I like it.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

The additional speedster is the Black Racer.
    To me it is definitely clear that the Future State books were basically a prologue to this series, which would be in current continuity if the 5G thing had passed.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I’m just confused since PKJ said he was working with mikel janin on a big Superman event, so is Mikel working on both these stories at the same time?!

I think Janin never really managed to do a monthly, but I think he wasn't really doing much last year and he did only War World issues this year so far. So maybe he is far enough to do this and whatever the next event is. Thou that would imply that DC had this mapped out for a while now and I'm not sure if that is really the case.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That to me is the best redesign they've put on a page. I mean it's not a huge competition but it so easily does everything I'd check off
    Yeah, right? (If you refer to Supes/Authority).
    Simple, powerful and effective. And I love the Kingdom Come S.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I feel like they must read the Message Boards, its seems like just a couple of months ago Superman as Tom Strong became a big idea. I hope this book works out better than Warren Ellis take on both ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Feels like a natural evolution for the t-shirt and jeans look. Definitely one of my favorite capeless takes.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-23-2021 at 03:49 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It's basically a more sophisticated evolution of T-Shirt Superman, belt included, but without the element which mostly bugged me about SuperBro, that is the mantle.
    Seriously, T-Shirt Superman with the mantle on always looked like a cheap cosplayer to me.
    I was thinking Reborn Superman without the cape.

Looks kind of boring to me without the cape.

I'd say "At least Morrison isn't on the main title so I don't have to drop it" but I'm near dropping them anyway with the price hike so no harm no foul I guess.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans