Page 41 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

It’s so exhausting seeing you guys constantly complain about Jon in every single Superman thread, both the pro and anti Jon sides. Even when the topic has nothing to do with him. We need an official Jon Discussion thread so you guys can bitch about him there rather than dragging it into every thread.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The only previous instance of de-aging I can think of was when Bart Allen was resurrected as a teen after he died as the adult Flash. Could be others but I think you're right that its very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s so exhausting seeing you guys constantly complain about Jon in every single Superman thread, both the pro and anti Jon sides. Even when the topic has nothing to do with him. We need an official Jon Discussion thread so you guys can bitch about him there rather than dragging it into every thread.
    When I initially brought him up, it was with relevance to this book. The whole idea was based on the final solicit, that had an interesting wordplay on the idea of him splitting. Its a thin theory, but tying something into that with Jon's specialness that keeps being hinted at in his end was a legitimate thought process, not something based on hatred or love either way. If the wording in the solicit ends up having zero to do with any of this or is completely and utterly symbolic, fair enough, but that's where that part was born from. The rest was indeed thread drift though. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-21-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Oh, it's way simpler. Do you want us to get back in-topic and find a way to connect it to the Jon thing? Sure.
    Superman's white hair in Morrison's mini and his weakening. If these details are kept in the regular series (and I don't think think that they can find a way to justify it only for this mini) they will make Supes look definitely older than his classic self. Probably as an attempt to differentiate him from his son, who is the regular Superman now.
    When and if they will decide to get back to the basics, they will have to deal with Jon as well. It's all a matter of how they want to present the characters.
    Last edited by Myskin; 07-21-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

4/5. I liked the issue over all, great art, interesting initial premise and nice dialogue between Superman and Black. My biggest problems are that there didn't seem to be much happening here, too much establishing. We're already 1/4 of the way through, the pacing for the next three issues has to be faster. I also don't like the "Privacy" bit, like volunteering certain information means surveillance is okay? Lastly, what does Superman mean about delivering "the world we promised"? What exactly does he need to set right? I think the answer will decide how much I end up liking this book.

About the question of the New 52 continuity, I swear I read an article somewhere that there was an Earth in the multiverse where it continued to play out without Rebirth/Doomsday Clock.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

What you're probably thinking if is the Johns' Doomsday Clock explanation that every time Superman changes, an alternate Earth is created. So according to that, there is a New 52-based Earth out there, and a Rebirth Earth, and a Byrne Earth, etc etc. Of course the rules of the multiverse are so often changed, who knows if DC will ever follow that.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    4/5. I liked the issue over all, great art, interesting initial premise and nice dialogue between Superman and Black. My biggest problems are that there didn't seem to be much happening here, too much establishing. We're already 1/4 of the way through, the pacing for the next three issues has to be faster. I also don't like the "Privacy" bit, like volunteering certain information means surveillance is okay? Lastly, what does Superman mean about delivering "the world we promised"? What exactly does he need to set right? I think the answer will decide how much I end up liking this book.
    About the question of the New 52 continuity, I swear I read an article somewhere that there was an Earth in the multiverse where it continued to play out without Rebirth/Doomsday Clock.
    What he and Kennedy were talking about: taking mankind to the stars, ending war and all social ills, basically giving mankind the utopian future the 50s imagined where we’d have lunar and Martian colonies and space travel would be cheap and widespread.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    What you're probably thinking if is the Johns' Doomsday Clock explanation that every time Superman changes, an alternate Earth is created. So according to that, there is a New 52-based Earth out there, and a Rebirth Earth, and a Byrne Earth, etc etc. Of course the rules of the multiverse are so often changed, who knows if DC will ever follow that.
    You're probably right, I must have gotten them confused. Why did DC make further changes to the multiverse? Multiversity and the Dark Multiverse was good enough for me.

I did like the idea of the metaverse centered on Superman, that issue of Doomsday Clock was fantastic.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

What he and Kennedy were talking about: taking mankind to the stars, ending war and all social ills, basically giving mankind the utopian future the 50s imagined where we’d have lunar and Martian colonies and space travel would be cheap and widespread.
    Oh, well, if that's the case then there's no issue. I still think it's a little silly to say that they didn't do enough because they got too absorbed in their crises, like that's a bad thing? lol
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Oh, well, if that's the case then there's no issue. I still think it's a little silly to say that they didn't do enough because they got too absorbed in their crises, like that's a bad thing? lol
    It’s just disappointing. Clark and Bruce specifically didn’t get started to fight supervillains after all. Bruce was supposed to destroy crime in Gotham, meaning the mob, not engage in battles of wits with freaks. Clark wanted to make a better world, the “how” he would do that varies according to the incarnation, but it’s depressing as hell to look at the current state of the world (assuming Clark’s mirrors ours which is heavily implied) and compare it with the one people imagined.

This story really hit at the right time for me, coming out the same day Bezos took his little ego trip into space. Very depressing to compare the space flights of now with the idealistic promises of the Space Age from the 60s.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't really care for utopian visions..so,i that part of the book just didn't have any meaning for me.The world will be the world and likely progress at the rate it does.That doesn't mean people shouldn't act.That's always the lense through which i view batman and superman.So,these guy talking about saving the world and stuff like that.bores me.so 30s(superman and batman) guys appeal to me.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-21-2021 at 09:36 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Thanks, that does help give me some understanding, although I struggle to make sense out of how that set up works.
    And then that he's clearly older still leave me not completely convinced this is the current Supreman and not a younger alternate future Future State Superman.
    I know DC just wants us to stop worrying about continuity but it doesn't really work for me.
    This story was originally created for Didio's aborted 5G relaunch and is being repurposed here for the current set-up, in which the DCU is more or less back to it's Post-Infinite Crisis status quo with a few more tweaks to include even more stuff that wasn't included back then, like Wonder Woman being around in the 1940s as part of the JSA (the whole Hippolyta as the 1940s WW has been completely dropped).

The Infinite Frontier books are currently exploring how this latest continuity reshuffle actually works in practice, but, for the time being, it simply seems to mean that creators are now free to reference old stories that weren't allowed prior to this as vague memories of past lives. However, most creators will likely ignore this and simply tell stories about Superman, whose history is the broad strokes of every incarnation that people enjoyed.

It’s just disappointing. Clark and Bruce specifically didn’t get started to fight supervillains after all. Bruce was supposed to destroy crime in Gotham, meaning the mob, not engage in battles of wits with freaks. Clark wanted to make a better world, the “how” he would do that varies according to the incarnation, but it’s depressing as hell to look at the current state of the world (assuming Clark’s mirrors ours which is heavily implied) and compare it with the one people imagined.

This story really hit at the right time for me, coming out the same day Bezos took his little ego trip into space. Very depressing to compare the space flights of now with the idealistic promises of the Space Age from the 60s.
    Well, Batman's existence kinda lead to the creation of his rogues gallery in some continuities right? Bruce defeated the mob only to end up dealing with super-criminals.

Superman meanwhile started dealing with small, intimidate problems before moving on to bigger and bigger threats. I won't fault Superman for not getting is to space if he was busy saving the world from Darkseid.

The billionaire space race had a silver lining doesn't it? I mean, as their employees advance the technology forward, won't commercial space flights become viable?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't really care for utopian visions..so,i that part of the book just didn't have any meaning for me.The world will be the world and likely progress at the rate it does.That doesn't mean people shouldn't act.That's always the lense through which i view batman and superman.So,these guy talking about saving the world and stuff like that.bores me.so 30s(superman and batman) guys appeal to me.
    I agree about the utopian visions, although I'm interested to see where this is going.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Hmm you know i feel like Supeman or kypronians in general should age like viltrumites

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Hmm you know i feel like Supeman or kypronians in general should age like viltrumites
    I like how in Superman and Batman: Generations it was called “inverse geometric progression”.

‘Course Bruce gets the Lazarus Pit lol.