Page 51 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    My guess is that the timeline will go "PKJ's big Super Event that's supposed to be as big as Death of Superman" which will lead to Clark being lost in time (which is when the JKF scene takes place). Clark returns to the present in Morrison's S&tA. When the Super Event ends, Action will pick up after the events of S&tA.

Basically, we're reading Authority six months early, and the regular titles will catch up at the end of the Event.
    But Clark is going with the Authority to Warworld after he's formed them, and he doesn't form them till Superman & The Authority. Batman/Superman & The Authority special is also set right after Clark is kicked out of the JL and all of the stuff with the Warworld fragment in the current arc has happen, and he's also *just* formed the team.

My guess is that the gray hair is the cell decay from the radiation from the breach Batman and The Atom told Clark about at the start of the arc. I mean, that's what gray hair is after all-- it's just cell decay in the hair. I think Superman & The Authority takes place while Clark over the span of issues 1-3 of Son of Kal-El. In those issues Clark is still on world, but has taken a step back, and then in issue #4 it says he leaves. Over the span of that time my guess is the radiation really sets in and his powers start to go along with the color in his hair.

Dispenser of Truth had the great theory that Clark is wearing his classic suit and has the color back in his hair on Warworld because Manchester Black is projecting that image with his powers, and the rest of the team is making up for Clark's flaws in secret. PKJ said that the Authority would be using covert ops and gorilla warfare while on Warworld. Dispenser of Truth thinks this is how they'll basically fake Clark's powers for him. And the reason for this is because during that same issue when Batman and Atom were telling Clark he was weakening, Clark said that he wanted to keep this a secret because he didn't want guys like Lex or Darkseid to find out, so one would have to assume that includes Mongul.

It's a really sound theory.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Midnighter has also been caught in a time loop of sorts in the backups and Future State issues. In the Future State timeline this mission went sideways on them and Clark’s been imprisoned on War World for a significant amount of time. The Midnighter that will join up in Action has already been through the loop before. I think if anything the SatA team is one of the variant times through the loop and won’t end up in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But Clark is going with the Authority to Warworld after he's formed them, and he doesn't form them till Superman & The Authority. Batman/Superman & The Authority special is also set right after Clark is kicked out of the JL and all of the stuff with the Warworld fragment in the current arc has happen, and he's also *just* formed the team. .
    Ah, right. I haven't been paying close enough attention I guess. Hell, I haven't even read the most recent issues.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Gosh that we have to speculate so wildly to make sense of the story placement is an unnecessary distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Gosh that we have to speculate so wildly to make sense of the story placement is an unnecessary distraction.
    That’s what happens when you shoehorn in a abandoned story into a new direction. I’m curious to see if the fill in artists in this next issue are because they had to redo sections of the book to fit. It doesn’t make sense otherwise because this was supposedly complete and sitting in a drawer before.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Is Covid a factor to why the sales on the first issue were so middling?

I would've thought that a first issue of a Grant Morrison Superman comic would break the 90-100k range, but has Covid comic stores sales this much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Almost certainly, though the real question is how much of a factor it played.

DC isn't doing crazy good right now anyway, and Super books struggle to break through their usual sales bracket. And this is a mini, not a regular ongoing, and that might not help.
    Unlike the movies that are almost all flopping due the pandemic, it seems that, to everyone's surprise, the comic industry (including DC) is getting somehow healthier post-2020 as reported by comic creators and Comichron:

Source: https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...1/2021-06.html

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I'm wondering now if they either should have asked Morrison to rewrite more, or if he didn't want to have someone else redo the story from the ground up. If they were dead set on this being a tie in to actual in-continuity directions. As much a Morrison and Superman fanboy I am, there's only so much you can do to make a finished work something intended for another continuity fit into a different one.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm wondering now if they either should have asked Morrison to rewrite more, or if he didn't want to have someone else redo the story from the ground up. If they were dead set on this being a tie in to actual in-continuity directions. As much a Morrison and Superman fanboy I am, there's only so much you can do to make a finished work something intended for another continuity fit into a different one.
    Or just slap an Elseworlds label on it. Or make it clear it’s Future State alternate future stuff not definitively in continuity with the main range.
    I can deal easily with our of continuity stories a lot easier than bad continuity.

I don't know, maybe we should wait a couple of months to see how it actually ends?

I'm just treating it as an Elseworlds till the comic gives me reason not to. Or till it's spells out why it's not an Elseworld.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-16-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Or literally just wait until the final issue to see how it connects rather than freaking out over continuity? Why you guys even still care about the minutiae of continuity at this point is beyond me. It’s like obsessing over how Batman can possibly be in all these books at the same time.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I don't care, but I know DC cares, because their verse is still heavily revolving around the concept. As long as they care and try to foster it, then its still important as much as I may wish otherwise. Its on those grounds I feel its still worth discussing. If it can be made to make sense by the end, cool.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-16-2021 at 05:02 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Or literally just wait until the final issue to see how it connects rather than freaking out over continuity? Why you guys even still care about the minutiae of continuity at this point is beyond me. It’s like obsessing over how Batman can possibly be in all these books at the same time.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why this is a sticking point for so many people. Why not just enjoy the story for what it is, then worry about how it fits into the continuity puzzle afterwards?

Modern comics fans obsession of what "matters" is kind of perplexing to me. I mean, All Star Superman and Superman Smashes The Klan don't "matter", yet they're both great Superman comics that will have a much bigger impact than anything the monthly comics churn out.

Just enjoy the story Morrison is telling and worry about how it fits later, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure why this is a sticking point for so many people. Why not just enjoy the story for what it is, then worry about how it fits into the continuity puzzle afterwards?

Modern comics fans obsession of what "matters" is kind of perplexing to me. I mean, All Star Superman and Superman Smashes The Klan don't "matter", yet they're both great Superman comics that will have a much bigger impact than anything the monthly comics churn out.

Just enjoy the story Morrison is telling and worry about how it fits later, guys.
    I love All Star Superman and Superman Smashes the Klan.
    I don't need a story to be in continuity to enjoy it.
    But I do like an understanding of the continuity. Knowing how the story could impact future stories can raise the stakes, and inform me of the history of the character.
    Knowing the continuity gives me a greater context to the characters. Trying to make sense of the JFK scenes are difficult if this is the regular current Superman. At the least the vibe there is weird. If that was a Superman native to that time, as it was intended, makes more sense. I am vaguely treating this as out of continuity until proven otherwise as it really has to be forced into it the way it stands now.
    Understanding the continuity and enjoying the story on it's own merits can co-exist, but I do admit that sloppy continuity, even in a good story can be a distraction.
    I will re-evaluate it at the end, but for now, yeah, the placement is taking up more thought than it should, but that's how my brain works.

Spectacular Member

Honestly...they should have went full dark Knight returns and made this an out of continuity story where Superman prime(our Superman) is looking at another earth where he existed for decades and taking notes on what that Superman did using a dimensional device in the fortress

It allows for the story to be digestible and have an impact on the Superman line without distractions

Think of it like prime Batman looking into the dark Knight returns universe for tips using the totality station

It synergizes so well with infinite frontier and gives prime Superman that silver age feel where he often used machines to look at alternate timelines and dimensions for advice