Page 52 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I love All Star Superman and Superman Smashes the Klan.
    I don't need a story to be in continuity to enjoy it.
    But I do like an understanding of the continuity. Knowing how the story could impact future stories can raise the stakes, and inform me of the history of the character.
    Knowing the continuity gives me a greater context to the characters. Trying to make sense of the JFK scenes are difficult if this is the regular current Superman. At the least the vibe there is weird. If that was a Superman native to that time, as it was intended, makes more sense. I am vaguely treating this as out of continuity until proven otherwise as it really has to be forced into it the way it stands now.
    Understanding the continuity and enjoying the story on it's own merits can co-exist, but I do admit that sloppy continuity, even in a good story can be a distraction.
    I will re-evaluate it at the end, but for now, yeah, the placement is taking up more thought than it should, but that's how my brain works.
    They already explained away the JFK bit. He was lost in time so Superman met JFK while he was there. It's not like Superman travelling in time is a new concept that Morrison needs to introduce, is it? What more explanation is necessary?

DC has explicitly said this story will be in continuity, so there's no question about that, and they've also said that PKJ will explain how Superman got old and lost his powers, so everything will be explained. They just aren't going to do so right now. The original plan was for the miniseries to come out much faster than it will now, so we'll have to wait a little longer, but it's not like an explanation isn't coming.

I mean, we all know that DC underwent a lot of editorial turmoil over the last year. Given how AT&T stripmined them, I'm not expecting everything they put out over the next few months to sync up perfectly. As long as the story's good, I'm happy. Superman & The Authority #1 was a fun comic.
    Wouldn't you rather be able to read Morrison & Janin's story now or do we all have to wait a few months so we can read how PKJ's story that explains it all, which might very well spoil some of the surprises that Morrison has cooked up?
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 08-17-2021 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathlonian View Post
    Honestly...they should have went full dark Knight returns and made this an out of continuity story where Superman prime(our Superman) is looking at another earth where he existed for decades and taking notes on what that Superman did using a dimensional device in the fortress

It allows for the story to be digestible and have an impact on the Superman line without distractions

Think of it like prime Batman looking into the dark Knight returns universe for tips using the totality station

It synergizes so well with infinite frontier and gives prime Superman that silver age feel where he often used machines to look at alternate timelines and dimensions for advice
    That could very well be how they explain it, but I don't see why they'd want to spoil that surprise by telling us right away just so a handful of continuity obsessives know exactly how it fits into an eight decade long soap opera right now instead of a few months from now.

48% gay on his mother's side! And obviously June is just too good to be a progressive. And various conspiracy theories, trolls and hot takes made real. Morrison is hitting both sides and I'm loving it.

So this is issue is about team building and I guess next issue will finish it, while the last one will have the showdown with Ultra-Humanite. Different artists were used to introduce characters and I kinda liked it. Love Janin's art, but he is not going to give you the vibes that Foreman delivers with Midnighter and Apollo.

I know very little about Enchantress and Natasha so I wonder how close these takes are to their last appearances?

I will say this issue while more a slow recruiting issue, probably so people can get to know the team members before they become a part of Action Comics, there’s also a few interesting continuity things.

Sure they reference Jon as Superman exists, but I’m pretty sure that Manchester Black also made it sound like the original Stormwatch/The Authority that we know from pre-flashpoint Wildstorm days exists in the DC universe. I’m aware Stormwatch was in the New 52 but nowadays it’s probably not canon so interesting to note it may have actually existed.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm enjoying this series because I love Morrison and The Authority, but each issue makes DC's "continuity" feel even more like a huge mess.
    Now the classic Wildstorm Universe Authority is also part of the DCU's canon? It didn't seem like the characters were referring to the New 52 Stormwatch team. Classic Authority really doesn't work as part of the DCU. There's no way the team would have gotten away with everything they did in a world with the JLA, JSA and Titans being active.

Janin's Superman looks hot, thought.

I do like how Morrison is approaching this Superman, he’s not dying and he’s not powerless, he’s just getting older. Like this feels very believable and human that as Clark now approaches I guess his mid 50’s (that’s what he looks like) his powers have somewhat diminished but he’s still incredibly strong and fast. He’s basically an aged athlete and it works in this context if you ask me.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

"They wave the all-important diversity flags." "I was young and evil, and you'd only just got started on your journey toward irrelevant old-manhood." "Do I detect Batman envy?"

Holy ****, Manchester, Morrison, keep them coming, I'm loving them.

Anyway, liked the issue a lot, Clark and Manchester just talking with each other was hilarious, Morrison low-key going "relationship drama between these two has gotten boring, put them on a team!" with Midnighter and Apollo was fun, the final part with Enchantress was as nightmarish and confusing as it needed to be (and Superman breaking that hopeless atmosphere by punching the proto-devil out of frame was great, too).

Wasn't as big a fan of Natasha's segment, though. I appreciate the sentiment, but it was almost 100% cringy at nearly all points.

Yes, pages with Natasha were definitely weakest part of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'm enjoying this series because I love Morrison and The Authority, but each issue makes DC's "continuity" feel even more like a huge mess.
    Now the classic Wildstorm Universe Authority is also part of the DCU's canon? It didn't seem like the characters were referring to the New 52 Stormwatch team. Classic Authority really doesn't work as part of the DCU. There's no way the team would have gotten away with everything they did in a world with the JLA, JSA and Titans being active.
    Classic Authority is probably the usual case of "it happened, but differently".

Spectacular Member

Something tells me that Superman may have confronted the classic authority during their takeover of America

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Janin's Superman looks hot, thought.
    The Wildstorm Earth has been part of the DCU and interacting with the main DC Earth pretty regularly since Jim Lee sold the company to DC decades ago. I remember they even had Mister Majestic get lost in the DCU while Captain Atom was stuck on the Wildstorm Earth. So both Earths were aware of the other's existence.

So, the original Authority stuff just took place on their own Earth, but Apollo and Midnighter are now stuck on Earth-0

Yes, but all of that was 15 reboots ago.

I was initially confused about the multiple art teams, but now it all makes sense. I really liked how the different art styles gave each character their own unique flavor.

The humor in this series continues to be my favorite part of it. Morrison's sharp wit is the secret sauce that ties their stories together for me

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yes, but all of that was 15 reboots ago.
    It all happened. All the reboots and time shenanigans took place and everyone now knows they've lived multiple contradictory lives. Yes, that's crazy, but so is the idea of a billionaire running around rooftops in a cape who's manages to not trip over it every five minutes

So, everyone can stop worrying about what is or isn't continuity because it all is at the moment.

That status quo may not last, but, for the moment, that means that everyone remembers everything that happened. And I am sure it's just as confusing and convoluted to them as it feels like to us. For what it's worth, I think Williamson has been doing a good job of exploring what that actually means for the average resident of the DCU.

Not as good as the first issue, but still very enjoyable! I agree with those who say the Natasha Irons portion is the weakest part, but it’s also rather relevant if you’re familiar with the story of “Tay”: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_(bot)

The best portions are Supes & Black and Middy & Apollo. Love how Black continues to be a prick and took shots at Supes for the Supermobile lmao:
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I was initially confused about the multiple art teams, but now it all makes sense. I really liked how the different art styles gave each character their own unique flavor.

The humor in this series continues to be my favorite part of it. Morrison's sharp wit is the secret sauce that ties their stories together for me
    Yeah I like how he can just make Superman be sassy to Manchester and it feels totally deserved but still in character for Clark.

Probably my favorite was him going don’t pat yourself on the back I’m the one who reached out to Natasha.

Also I’m really surprised to see the Supermobile again after Challenge of the Supersons.
    Words to live by.