Page 53 of 78 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

I actually thought Enchantress was the weak link of the issue. Natasha felt more tongue in cheek to me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-17-2021 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Also I’m really surprised to see the Supermobile again after Challenge of the Supersons.
    Was Supersons first time it appeared?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Was Supersons first time it appeared?
    No idea, that’s just the last place I remember it being
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It all happened. All the reboots and time shenanigans took place and everyone now knows they've lived multiple contradictory lives. Yes, that's crazy, but so is the idea of a billionaire running around rooftops in a cape who's manages to not trip over it every five minutes
    Sorry to sound like a killjoy for the Nth time, but those two things are not comparable.
    The premise behind Batman (or Superman, for what is worth) is obviously unrealistic, but it works more or less as a fairy tale or a fable or a fantasy book. You need some suspension of disbelief to accept it, but beyond that it's relatively straightforward and simple. It works on basic elements which have been used thousands of times in the history of narration: revenge, retaliation, justice etc. In fact, it is so easy to accept that as a premise it has worked relatively well for 80 years.

On the contrary, no one really knows how the premise behind "multiple lives" works. Not even DC writers, who are doing their best to avoid the elephant in the room. In fact, they are not using such premise for Superman ad the Authority, either. It's not that just because Scott Snyder said "everything happened" the readers magically understands how it works. As far as I know, the idea of characters experiencing memories from multiple lives all at once has never been used in the history of SF (well, except for some obscure short story, I guess; it's not a literary topos, that's for sure). It puts the characters on such a different level from human understanding (because no one in the world - our world - can find it really relatable) that their psychology should become the only narrative focus of all DC stories from this moment on just to explore what the hell having multiple memories means. And it won't, because DC never introduced the concept because it was narratively interesting; its purpose was just to give the readers a vague sensation that editors were trying to fix an editorial problem, even if they provided just a non-answer.

I have no idea what Williamson is trying to do in Infinite Frontier (which I barely touched and found quite uninteresting), but - provided there still is a DC shared universe in a couple of years - I can see them quietly sweeping under the rug the premise or just resetting the entire DCU for the, I don't know, 4th time I guess.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member

Parts of Wildstorm..or the old Earth 50 can exist on post IF Earth 0.

I can relate to June and the Enchantress. D'Z' Amor heh.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Parts of Wildstorm..or the old Earth 50 can exist on post IF Earth 0.

I can relate to June and the Enchantress. D'Z' Amor heh.

Dzamor was the entity that gave June her powers by fusing her with the Enchantress. The first half of her part is a twisted and corrupted version of her origin story (thats why June says she has a feeling of deja vu).
    It's intersting that Grant focuses on her more than the witch. Maybe he plans to set the character's clock back of a few decades.
    Last edited by Bromor; 08-17-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    No idea, that’s just the last place I remember it being
    It also recently turned up in a Justice League story. I like how the one we see in Superman and the Authority looks a bit more like the Kenner Superpowers version from the 80's. I love that the Supermobile is being used. I'm definitely a fan of it.

I love seeing all the cool **** Clark has in the Fortress, Janin honestly draws one of my favorite renditions of the Fortress of Solitude ever.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I did not expect to see H.G. Wells' time machine at the Fortress.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post

I have no idea what Williamson is trying to do in Infinite Frontier (which I barely touched and found quite uninteresting), but - provided there still is a DC shared universe in a couple of years - I can see them quietly sweeping under the rug the premise or just resetting the entire DCU for the, I don't know, 4th time I guess.
    And I think that's precisely what is going to happen because no one seems capable of wrapping their brains around the status quo that Death Metal established.

However, for the time being, that is the status quo, so worrying about whether something is or isn't in continuity is largely a waste of time because the answer is currently "yes, that happened, and so did that other thing that contradicts it"

Williamson's Infinite Frontier is clearly building to yet another continuity reshuffle that will likely be more straight forward, though.

Astonishing Member

Haven't seen the everything contradicts it self stuff. Also the memories thing isn't shared by most of the characters.

Spectacular Member

Infinite frontier is leading to an event that will likely solidify the “everything happened” status quo

There is no financial incentive to straighten up continuity now that DC sales are more healthy than they were 3 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Haven't seen the everything contradicts it self stuff. Also the memories thing isn't shared by most of the characters.
    The way Ollie described it in Infinite Frontier#0 sounds like it's more of a vague recollection of prior continuity for him. Infinite Frontier #1 showed that it varies wildly from person to person, with a lot of people refusing to believe the multiverse even exists while others could remember their past lives with much greater clarity.

In actual practice, I can't imagine too many creators are going to touch on this element though. Most will simply continue telling the stories they wanted to tell anyways, but without having to worry about what prior stories are in or out of continuity this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathlonian View Post
    Infinite frontier is leading to an event that will likely solidify the “everything happened” status quo

There is no financial incentive to straighten up continuity now that DC sales are more healthy than they were 3 years ago
    I think it'll end up being closer to "almost everything happened" as there are retcons and stories that pretty much everyone agrees were dumb and will completely ignore. Which is sort of Marvel's approach to continuity--everything happened, unless it was dumb and then we'll completely ignore it and pretend it never happened

BANNED

Looks like Superman has got,
    HG Wells' Time Machine, Doctor Who's Tardis, Back to the Future Delorean,
    so many time machine in his fortress