Page 54 of 78 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think it'll end up being closer to "almost everything happened" as there are retcons and stories that pretty much everyone agrees were dumb and will completely ignore. Which is sort of Marvel's approach to continuity--everything happened, unless it was dumb and then we'll completely ignore it and pretend it never happened
    I don't want to go off-topic too much, so I'll go with one reply, but isn't that the same exact approach DC had adopted before this endless series of reboots started?
    As far as Superman is concerned, the point was never figuring out whether Mxyzptlk debuted before the Prankster. Superman's continuity problems had always been about 5-6 main focal points (are the Kents dead? Did Superman debut as Superboy? Etc) and this has been the situation for 15-20 years. I mean, it's not that we needed so many events, and Superman Reborn, and Everything Happened, to understand that Superman (and DC in general) just needs a more straightforward continuity.

Am I the only one who is tired of DC's back and forth which never seems to progress in any significant way (We had Wally West as the Flash, then Barry Allen, then Wally West disappeared, then he came back, then we had Barry Allen and Wally West was not in continuity anymore, then Wally West came back, and now Wally West is the Flash again)? I mean, how incredibly boring is that?

Ok, enough...
    Last edited by Myskin; 08-17-2021 at 11:35 PM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Superman (and DC in general) just needs a more straightforward continuity.
    Absolutel, although I personally don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the timey-whimey-ness of the DCU. I enjoy the messiness of it all, but I think DC really needs to stop endlessly obsessing over its own continuity and just present a barebones timeline that encompasses all the highlights and interpretations that everyone knows and loves and proceed from there.

They'll always be quibbling over certain sticking points like the Kents being alive or dead and Luthor's childhood, but as long as DC picks a lane that allows creators the freedom to simply tell good stories without being forced to follow stupid edicts like "No, Wonder Woman never founded the Justice League", then I think almost everyone would be satisfied.

Astonishing Member

They'll always be quibbling over certain sticking points like the Kents being alive or dead and Luthor's childhood, but as long as DC picks a lane that allows creators the freedom to simply tell good stories without being forced to follow stupid edicts like "No, Wonder Woman never founded the Justice League", then I think almost everyone would be satisfied.
    Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your point, but I don't understand why "Wonder Woman never founded the Justice League" should be a stupid edict.
    It's not that I am really following superhero much these days, but if what the readers ask for is a universe with a certain level of coherence (not 100% nitpicky stuff, of course) you must exclude some stuff and include other details. To me, Superman being the first superhero in the DCU is a non-issue (My favorite stories back in the day were the ones of the post-Crisis version, when he didn't debut in the 1930s), but for some people it's quite an important point, and I can see why. In terms of coherence, a world with Superman introducing superheroism (so no JSA) is completely different from one in which the JSA debuted first of Wonder Woman debuted first. Or at least it SHOULD be different. Making these quite important points more or less interchangeable IMHO is making the DCU even less significant than it already is.
    I said it in the past and I repeat it - merging all of the previous versions of one character/place into one (which is what happened with Superman in the past, maybe more than once) is always a risky move because you just water its strength down for nerdism's sake. The versions of the characters which produced the best mythology were the ones with a strong authorial imprint, or at least some personality. You may dislike Byrne Superman, but he is very recognizable, very coherent in his ethics, powers, mythology etc. I have my some problems with Superbro, I don't think that Morrison put his best efforts in it, but I can see what he was going for. Authority Superman is clearly an evolution of that character. I really can't see Authority Superman as an evolution of Byrne Superman.
    Writers/editors can make Wonder Woman the founder of the league, or even the first superhero ever, or even make her enter the league after its foundation, but whatever they choose what's really important is that they are coherent with their choices narratively speaking. It's not that they should explain/show every single moment of the characters' life, but they should choose one direction, some basic elements of the characters and build from there. If this means that they have to exclude some elements and some readers disagree with it, well, they shouldn't really care.
    Yes, final reply, for real this time...
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your point, but I don't understand why "Wonder Woman never founded the Justice League" should be a stupid edict.
    It's not that I am really following superhero much these days, but if what the readers ask for is a universe with a certain level of coherence (not 100% nitpicky stuff, of course) you must exclude some stuff and include other details. To me, Superman being the first superhero in the DCU is a non-issue (My favorite stories back in the day were the ones of the post-Crisis version, when he didn't debut in the 1930s), but for some people it's quite an important point, and I can see why. In terms of coherence, a world with Superman introducing superheroism (so no JSA) is completely different from one in which the JSA debuted first of Wonder Woman debuted first. Or at least it SHOULD be different. Making these quite important points more or less interchangeable IMHO is making the DCU even less significant than it already is.
    I said it in the past and I repeat it - merging all of the previous versions of one character/place into one (which is what happened with Superman in the past, maybe more than once) is always a risky move because you just water its strength down for nerdism's sake. The versions of the characters which produced the best mythology were the ones with a strong authorial imprint, or at least some personality. You may dislike Byrne Superman, but he is very recognizable, very coherent in his ethics, powers, mythology etc. I have my some problems with Superbro, I don't think that Morrison put his best efforts in it, but I can see what he was going for. Authority Superman is clearly an evolution of that character. I really can't see Authority Superman as an evolution of Byrne Superman.
    Writers/editors can make Wonder Woman the founder of the league, or even the first superhero ever, or even make her enter the league after its foundation, but whatever they choose what's really important is that they are coherent with their choices narratively speaking. It's not that they should explain/show every single moment of the characters' life, but they should choose one direction, some basic elements of the characters and build from there. If this means that they have to exclude some elements and some readers disagree with it, well, they shouldn't really care.
    Yes, final reply, for real this time...
    You're right, you misunderstood my point

But, you seem to be trying your damnedest to leave this conversation, so I'll leave you alone...for now

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    Looks like Superman has got,
    HG Wells' Time Machine, Doctor Who's Tardis, Back to the Future Delorean,
    so many time machine in his fortress
    Oh man, I can't wait to get my hands on this issue if nothing else for all this cool stuff in the Fortress!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Was Supersons first time it appeared?
    The Supermobile goes back to Action #481 in '78 and has popped up a few times since then. Superman had it to travel through space filled with Kryptonite. I like it, it's a fun idea.

This was another fun idea. I thought the section on Midnighter & Apollo was maybe a little bit too harsh on the pair, but as always Grant delivers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    Looks like Superman has got,
    HG Wells' Time Machine, Doctor Who's Tardis, Back to the Future Delorean,
    so many time machine in his fortress
    Looking forward to getting issue # 2 and seeing all that cool stuff. So maybe Superman can travel back in time to before he lost most of his powers .Still wondering how it all happened and whether in the end Superman will have all his power back ( hopefully he will ). I think that Superman & The Authority could turn out to be more interesting than Superman in the Justice League.

Spectacular Member

Absolutel, although I personally don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the timey-whimey-ness of the DCU. I enjoy the messiness of it all, but I think DC really needs to stop endlessly obsessing over its own continuity and just present a barebones timeline that encompasses all the highlights and interpretations that everyone knows and loves and proceed from there.

If I was in control

Superman debuts in 1938 with George Taylor, Lana Lang, and Pete Ross as his supporting cast in the daily star and joins with the JSA to liberate Europe...renamed the infinite justice society(or justice society infinity) when they re-emerge during the Kennedy era after the hell they were put through in the 50s by Joseph McCarthy

The first supergirl is Lara Kent(powergirl), his daughter he had with Lana after they get married till the 80s when all of it goes to **** and Superman loses his entire family.

Superman goes into exile in space before returning in the 21st century to meet Batman, Lois lane, become a member of the justice league.

He recreates the Clark kent persona with the backstory that Clark kent of the 40s was his great grandfather, marries Lois lane, and has Jonathan as his second child with Kara as the second supergirl

Batman is the baby of the group

I was inspired by John Byrne’s generations comic
    Last edited by Vathlonian; 08-18-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vathlonian View Post
    If I was in control

Superman debuts in 1938 with George Taylor, Lana Lang, and Pete Ross as his supporting cast in the daily star and joins with the JSA to liberate Europe...renamed the infinite justice society(or justice society infinity) when they re-emerge during the Kennedy era after the hell they were put through in the 50s by Joseph McCarthy

The first supergirl is Lara Kent(powergirl), his daughter he had with Lana after they get married till the 80s when all of it goes to **** and Superman loses his entire family.

Superman goes into exile in space before returning in the 21st century to meet Batman, Lois lane, become a member of the justice league.

He recreates the Clark kent persona with the backstory that Clark kent of the 40s was his great grandfather, marries Lois lane, and has Jonathan as his second child with Kara as the second supergirl
    Interesting premise , it has some potential . I really would like the secret identity back. But I do like Kara being his cousin as Siegel created her, I'm not sure if Shuster also created Kara . I also would like seeing Jor-El show up from time to time. I think that it was Jurgens that came up with that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    Interesting premise , it has some potential . I really would like the secret identity back. But I do like Kara being his cousin as Siegel created her, I'm not sure if Shuster also created Kara . I also would like seeing Jor-El show up from time to time. I think that it was Jurgens that came up with that.
    Jor-el and Kara would definitely be important

It was discovering Kara’s ship floating in the void of space that caused him to return to earth, feeling that he would be unfit to raise her and desiring to leave her there

But the second he laid his eyes on that blue orb...he knew he would never leave

Astonishing Member

The continuity is already straight forward.

PG being Superman's (dead) daughter would do the character no favors. She's one of those characters who benefit from having ties to the multiverse. It's just way easier to have her as a Supergirl analogue from Earth-2, like she was always meant to be.

If I had my way, Superman's story would be roughly like this:

- Golden Age Superman was the first hero of the Multiverse. He is still around in a preserved version of DC's Golden Age (I'd call it Golden Earth to differentiate it from the new Earth-2 that would be in synch with the Metaverse).
    - Since then the Metaverse has changed multiple times. The current continuity would have Superman debuting 20 years ago.
    - He would no longer be the first hero of the current Earth-0, but GA Superman's status as the first hero of the Multiverse would be widely known by all heroes that aware of existance of other Earths.
    - On the new Earth-0, a Trinity-less JSA would have debuted during WWII and retired during the 50s until reassembling for a "final" battle that resulted in them and those aware of their secret identities being displaced to around the time Kal-El crashed on Earth.
    - Clark would have had encounters with the LOSH as a teen, adopting the Superboy identity in his adventures in the future. As he grows up, he isn't quite sure if those adventures truly happened or if they were a product of his imagination as a kid.
    - He'd officially debut as Superman to the public only after moving to Metropolis and would then learn that the Legion are indeed real.
    - He would go on to become a founding member of the League, inspiring the return of the retired Golden Age heroes as well.
    - Then most of the Post-Crisis adventures would have happened (including the marriage)
    - 5 years ago, Lois would give birth to Jon and they'd decide to raise him in the future where they could better protect him. They'd return to the present as Jon turned 10 (so he could have the Supersons adventures), but he'd eventually return to the future to continue his education alongside other Legion trainees (Jon's Legion would be the legacies of Levitz Legion who'd be attending the Legion Academy). I'd completely erase Jon's time on Earth-3 as that should have left the character completely damaged and traumatized.
    - In the present Superman would be a bit older (like in Superman and the Authority) and would be mostly operating out of Earth to help set up the United Planets as a viable organization).
    - Jon would be established as a timetravelling hero. So he could be in his 20s now after having spent a long time with the Legion Academy. He'd be called the Superman of Tomorrow and would fill in for his father while Kal-El was off-world.

Thought the issue was good but not great, def not as good as the previous one. Like most others I thought it was odd that in issue #2 (of a series that was written quite some time ago no less) already had multiple artists attached, but the way it was executed was decent enough. My fave of the character stories was Midnighter and Apollo, but the highlights of the issue were most def Supes and Black. Really liked how the issue began with the juxtaposition of Black telling his cigs to “kill me you bastards… you haven’t got the nuts,” and Clark working out (I guess the gloves are for pumping iron, heh). And yeah, total cool **** in the Fortress (the only thing missing was Doc Brown and/or alternate 1985 Biff). I do hope that now that all the formal character intros are out of the way, we can get back to some cool ****, esp since its only a 4 issue mini.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Thought the issue was good but not great, def not as good as the previous one. Like most others I thought it was odd that in issue #2 (of a series that was written quite some time ago no less) already had multiple artists attached, but the way it was executed was decent enough. My fave of the character stories was Midnighter and Apollo, but the highlights of the issue were most def Supes and Black. Really liked how the issue began with the juxtaposition of Black telling his cigs to “kill me you bastards… you haven’t got the nuts,” and Clark working out (I guess the gloves are for pumping iron, heh). And yeah, total cool **** in the Fortress (the only thing missing was Doc Brown and/or alternate 1985 Biff). I do hope that now that all the formal character intros are out of the way, we can get back to some cool ****, esp since its only a 4 issue mini.
    Still have Lightray and OMAC to introduce, but I think issue 3 will give us the first confrontation between Supes and Ultra-Humanite, and then issue 4 will be the resolution.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Still have Lightray and OMAC to introduce, but I think issue 3 will give us the first confrontation between Supes and Ultra-Humanite, and then issue 4 will be the resolution.
    Oh, right. I’m starting to wish this had more issues…

So I had been searching for a copy of AC #775 for years now and was finally able to land one at my local hometown comic shop. (As an aside, the city renamed the alley where the parking lot is located Lois Lane. Well done!)

At any rate, what I like about Morrison’s Manchester Black is that he not only has the straight up contempt for Superman and all he represents like the original, but he’s also got more of a serious sarcasm streak for a nice dark comedic effect. Since he sports the Union Jack, he’d probably draw the ire of Roger Waters, “no dark sarcasm in the classroom…”