Page 66 of 78 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There are two ways for me to take this: the charitable way and the fanboy nerd rage way. Charitable way is that Didio came up with something he knew was terrible to force Morrison to take the book. If so God bless him, I would’ve done the same if I knew it would work. The fanboy nerd rage way is for me to scream DIDIOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT and publicly recant every single nice thing I ever said about Didio including defending him on here.

I choose to be charitable but I wouldn’t be surprised if Didio sincerely liked the other idea, remember there were four evil Supermen concurrently being published back in the 2010s? I remember.
    Injustice, New 52 Earth-2...

What were the other two?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Injustice, New 52 Earth-2...

What were the other two?
    Justice Lord Superman

And Doomed

I’m actually pretty lenient on Doomed but even still four at the same time?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ah, yes Justice League Beyond. How could I forget.

I had my own "WonderBat/SuperWonder" shaped bones to pick with that series...

Ah, yes Justice League Beyond. How could I forget.

I had my own "WonderBat/SuperWonder" shaped bones to pick with that series...
    Don’t you just love how they managed to take the worst of both relationships and put them in one story?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

There are two ways for me to take this: the charitable way and the fanboy nerd rage way. Charitable way is that Didio came up with something he knew was terrible to force Morrison to take the book. If so God bless him, I would’ve done the same if I knew it would work. The fanboy nerd rage way is for me to scream DIDIOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT and publicly recant every single nice thing I ever said about Didio including defending him on here.

I choose to be charitable but I wouldn’t be surprised if Didio sincerely liked the other idea, remember there were four evil Supermen concurrently being published back in the 2010s? I remember.
    Didio strikes me as way too savvy at telling Morrison exactly what they needs to hear, so I think it's more likely that he was goading Morrison into doing the book.

That said, it's also entirely possible that Didio looked at the strong sales of Injustice and saw an opportunity to split the difference by having Jon Kent assume the role of the young SJW New 52 Superman while old Superman became more like the rightwing authoritarian casual fans have assumed he was since DKR.

Don’t you just love how they managed to take the worst of both relationships and put them in one story?
    Late-New 52/pre-Rebirth was weird and dark time.

Late-New 52/pre-Rebirth was weird and dark time.
    Not even I, the Morrison & Pak Action and Azz WW enjoyer, can defend how badly the New 52 had **** the bed by the end of that era. They needed a major shake up.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well,i am glad i got this..Clark's dadness wasn't bad here.I understand why didio would thing clark would be this right wing authoritarian.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well,i am glad i got this..Clark's dadness wasn't bad here.I understand why didio would thing clark would be this right wing authoritarian.
    It would be very strange to see a right wing authoritarian Superman leading a team which was mostly a bunch of hippies anarchist lefties.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    It would be very strange to see a right wing authoritarian Superman leading a team which was mostly a bunch of hippies anarchist lefties.
    I am sure.The authority would have been different guys as well.
    But,now that you mention it..it would be interesting to see that..a bunch of anarchists being lead by an authoritarian.i am The authoritarian wouldn't have a good time.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Grant being amazing as always

I think this is the first time that we hear that Didio wanted authoritarian right-wing Superman? That would support "Didio was blackmailing Morrison" theory since lots of other 5G details have been leaked and I figure this would have been leaked as well since it is a major change.

Astonishing Member

It's not surprising actually. DiDio never cared about what people, especially fans, would say. They only think he cared about was sales. Evil, authoritarian Superman, unfortunately, is quite popular trop these days, looking at Injustice, Snyderverse, The Boys, Invincible. No wonder he would like to do something like this in main continuity.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Some other great lines from the interview:

I said, “Please don’t make him a rightwing tyrant guy. That’s just not Superman.”
    I really like that book. I didn’t want to do it, but once I’d done it, I was really glad it was the last thing I was doing with DC.
    Yeah, considering all the context, what a swan song it was.

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when all this went down.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It's not surprising actually. DiDio never cared about what people, especially fans, would say. They only think he cared about was sales. Evil, authoritarian Superman, unfortunately, is quite popular trop these days, looking at Injustice, Snyderverse, The Boys, Invincible. No wonder he would like to do something like this in main continuity.
    Snyderverse never got to do evil Superman. Invincible was not a thing when this conversation between Didio and Morrison took place. Not sure about The Boys.