Page 69 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1156
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

“I think people have thought Manchester Black is some kind of millennial caricature, because all the Authority members are Gen X, Gen Z, or millennial,” Morrison says. “But he’s a sociopath. People should always remember that. He’s really charismatic and he’s funny and he’s smart, but he’s a sociopath. He’s a monster. He has potential hidden agendas. He’s a master of using the language of anti-oppression to justify oppression and to also protect himself from criticism…He’s way worse than a millennial caricature. He’s a sociopathic monster who’s really sexy and charismatic.”
    I kinda think Morrison didn't forsee manchester getting a boost from his comics.So,this warning was needed.On the flipside though why is it that "good" guys can't be sexy and charismatic?
    I loved that line about people sympathising or even empathising with brainiac.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-07-2022 at 08:57 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Another "confirmation" that Didio talked about fascist Superman only to get Morrison on board.

Interesting that various old things that we saw in opening issue was to set up the idea that maybe Superman was Omega zapped just like Batman and had some time travelling adventures. So likely that line about being lost in time wasn't late edition to make things fit into current DC continuity, but part of a larger idea that Morrison never really got to.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Another "confirmation" that Didio talked about fascist Superman only to get Morrison on board.

Interesting that various old things that we saw in opening issue was to set up the idea that maybe Superman was Omega zapped just like Batman and had some time travelling adventures. So likely that line about being lost in time wasn't late edition to make things fit into current DC continuity, but part of a larger idea that Morrison never really got to.
    I imagine it probably was still a late addition in some form, but Morrison just made it really clever because they're Morrison.

In 5G Clark would've been alive and Superman, thus able to have that conversation with JFK in his lifetime.

Though, maybe the late addition was folding the JFK thing into the time travel, and meeting King Arthur and all the other stuff was always an time travel adventure? That actually sounds more likely.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Though, maybe the late addition was folding the JFK thing into the time travel, and meeting King Arthur and all the other stuff was always an time travel adventure? That actually sounds more likely.
    Yeah, that sounds very likely since King Arthur's round table was relevant to overall themes of the book.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Please excuse the bump, I’m wondering if Superman fans enjoyed this, and if so, whether it’s worth reading up on The (original) Authority beforehand? Or even afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Please excuse the bump, I’m wondering if Superman fans enjoyed this, and if so, whether it’s worth reading up on The (original) Authority beforehand? Or even afterwards?
    I enjoyed it. Do you like Morrison? Do you like their Superman? As I recall you were more of a Rebirth guy so I’m not sure how much you would enjoy this. Reading the original Authority will give you an understanding of what the Authority is “meant” to be (the team which goes after the big bastards) but I wouldn’t say it’s required. Only What’s So Funny….? is really required I’d say.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Please excuse the bump, IÂ’m wondering if Superman fans enjoyed this, and if so, whether itÂ’s worth reading up on The (original) Authority beforehand? Or even afterwards?
    I'm surprised you didn't read it, Lightning. Yeah, I think it's worth reading. It's Morrison and Superman, what more needs to be said? If you liked Morrison's other Superman work you'll like this, if you don't like Morrison's other Superman work you should avoid this too.

That said, this is what you need to keep in mind going in:

If All-Star Superman and young t-shirt Superman had a kid, it'd be this guy. He's kind and optimistic and has the deep wisdom of age, but he's still angry deep down, he's fed up with the bullshit, and he's going to do what needs to be done whether anyone likes it or not. It's Old Man Kent. And it might very well be my absolute favorite take on the character ever.

And this isn't required knowledge for the mini, but it's all just setup for the current Warworld arc of Action. S&tA tells its own self contained, stand alone tale, but you might read it and wonder why it stops where and how it does. Well, it's just prologue, that's why. It's not really any worse a story for that, and you don't need to be following Action to get what's going on, but end of the day it's just setting things up for Warworld.

You don't need to know about the original Authority, you don't need to know who Manchester Black is (it'd help if you did) and you don't need to be following Action. S&tA is so self-contained you could call it an Elseworlds. Reading those other comics will help enrich the experience but they're not necessary.

That said, the classic Authority is great, so if you can find it cheap it might be worth grabbing, and Action hasn't been this good in years so I'd recommend that too.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-10-2022 at 03:25 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I kinda think Morrison didn't forsee manchester getting a boost from his comics.So,this warning was needed.On the flipside though why is it that "good" guys can't be sexy and charismatic?
    I loved that line about people sympathising or even empathising with brainiac.
    He didn't say that. He just said MB was a sociopath who is sexy and charismatic.

I'm a casual fan of both Superman and Authority and found it easy to follow. I don't think you need to read Authority before or after to get it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Ellis & Hitch's Authority isn't really necessary to understand any of this. As long as you understand the historical importance of that comic, you should be good to go.

Personally, I loved it. It was a nice send-off by Morrison to a character they clearly love that doesn't feel like an ending at all. If anything, it feels a lot like what Morrison was saying in Final Crisis about Superman. He doesn't end, as he'll always have a "To Be Continued..." at the end of whatever story he's in.

If you liked All-Star Superman and Superman Against The World (the jeans & t-shirt stories from the New 52), then I think you'll dig this.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Thanks for the responses everybody; it sounds like something I would really enjoy so I'll definitely dive into it. I hoped for nothing less with Morrison. I probably would have gotten to it sooner but I fell behind on my reading.

When does the Warworld Action Comics arc leading out of it begin?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    He didn't say that. He just said MB was a sociopath who is sexy and charismatic.
    It's just..i something i feel happens in entertainment medium..you know.
    So, i been thinking.Isn't the authority basically superman's fabulous five?(doc savage reference)
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-12-2022 at 10:19 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Thanks for the responses everybody; it sounds like something I would really enjoy so I'll definitely dive into it. I hoped for nothing less with Morrison. I probably would have gotten to it sooner but I fell behind on my reading.

When does the Warworld Action Comics arc leading out of it begin?
    Action 1030 is the start of the buildup to the Warworld Saga and is also where PKJ’s run gets great. Superman & the Authority actually arrive on Warworld in issue 1036. You could start there but I’d personally start with 1030.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

And if you're looking to grab the Action floppies, there are some gorgeous variant covers with a real old school pulp science fantasy vibe. Not sure if you're into that retro kinda thing but they look like painted covers that could have come out of the early Golden Age.

I'm telling you Lightning; Authority up through Warworld (thus far) has been perhaps the best Superman since Morrison's opening Action arc.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It's just..i something i feel happens in entertainment medium..you know.
    So, i been thinking.Isn't the authority basically superman's fabulous five?(doc savage reference)
    Yes but I don't mind.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-13-2022 at 06:23 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And if you're looking to grab the Action floppies, there are some gorgeous variant covers with a real old school pulp science fantasy vibe. Not sure if you're into that retro kinda thing but they look like painted covers that could have come out of the early Golden Age.

I'm telling you Lightning; Authority up through Warworld (thus far) has been perhaps the best Superman since Morrison's opening Action arc.
    Hell yeah there are. A lot of the Tedesco variants def enhance the professed Frazetta vibe that PKJ said he was after.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog