Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I don't think that the Wildstorm characters work within the framework of the DC Universe. It would be like trying to integrate the Invincible mythos into Marvel Universe. Wildstorm's take on superheroes and DC's take on siperheroes are two different philosophies.

They’ve sidestepped the problem by having Midnighter & Apollo exist on the periphery the same way Constantine does. But the reason I think this has a chance is that it’s quite explicitly taking place in a “future”, where Morrison can run wild. If All-Star Superman was them trying to merge Silver Age concepts with modern storytelling, this looks like them tackling the question of “what if my t-shirt and jeans Golden Age inspired Superman got to grow up and get old? What would the endgame of a Superman who wants to change the world, and doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty to do so look like?” Like how WW Earth One had them write out a world where Diana established Marston’s matriarchal utopia, this might be Morrison attempting to write the endgame of the original Golden Age Siegel & Shuster Superman who took on social ills beyond just petty crime.

So we’ve got a Superman who looks more like a science pulp hero such as Tom Strong or Doc Savage, who is running a team that’s all about radically changing the world. I’m betting that this Superman is back to those Golden Age/early New 52 power levels as well, so it’s not a godling punching down but a Champion of the Oppressed trying to lift people up, and save the world the way the JL can’t or won’t. Basically Morrison attempting to merge that Authority “**** you” attitude without it being a bunch of “enlightened” spandex fascists running the world. Or it’s a massive deconstruction like Blackstars was. Either way I’m interested in seeing what they do.
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-24-2021 at 07:15 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Works for me as confirmation. Wonder if DC will go ahead and announce it or wait for next month’s solicits?
    Yeah, it's gotta be coming out in July right? All the other books announced around that time have already been announced.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am interested in this.I don't think clark works without the strongman suit or the cape though.Superman is based on hugo danner,john carter,zorro,..etc.He ain't a science hero.The doc savage stuff was added on later especially with "man of steel" ephitet and fortress of solitude.He's actually the opposite of the scifi heroes like flash gordon.Anyways,I love the tom strong look and would love a more doc savage approach though.I love the gloves and the guy did become the man of tomorrow.That's far superior to "Superman is an example" takes.It is just a character.The old pulp heroes are different from the current superheroes in form,troupes and structure of storytelling.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-25-2021 at 01:12 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am interested in this.I love the gloves.I don't think clark works without the strongman suit or the cape though.Superman is based on hugo danner,john carter,zorro,..etc.He ain't a science hero.The doc savage stuff was added on later especially with "man of steel" ephitet and fortress of solitude.He's actually the opposite of the scifi heroes like flash gordon.Anyways,I love the tom strong look and would love a more doc savage approach though.I love the gloves and the guy did become the man of tomorrow.That's far superior to "Superman is an example" takes.It is just a character.The old pulp heroes are different from the current superheroes in form,troupes and structure of storytelling.
    Superman was originally not a "sci-fi hero" but he became one (especially in the Silver Age) and that is now as much a part of the character as his Zorro, Gladiator, Strongman origins.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Superman was originally not a "sci-fi hero" but he became one (especially in the Silver Age) and that is now as much a part of the character as his Zorro, Gladiator, Strongman origins.
    I know,i am not denying that.I am just saying i prefer the man of action.Than even the man of tomorrow.It's more relatable to me.The sci-fi superman was merely a explanation that lasted a page at best or couple of panels.it wasn't superman's schtick.He was a dude from the neighbourhood protecting the weak and leaping over tall buildings.On the sidenote,I do think the flying paragon shtick should be put to a rest,regardless.For one,there are two many of them in dc and outside.Two,it is pretty boring.tom strong,doc savage,..etc aren't flying paragons either.Just put back some badass factor in the character.

I know,i am not denying that.I am just saying i prefer the man of action.Than even the man of tomorrow.It's more relatable to me.The sci-fi superman was merely a explanation that lasted a page at best or couple of panels.it wasn't superman's schtick.He was a dude from the neighbourhood protecting the weak and leaping over tall buildings.On the sidenote,I do think the flying paragon shtick should be put to a rest,regardless.For one,there are two many of them in dc and outside.Two,it is pretty boring.tom strong,doc savage,..etc aren't flying paragons either.Just put back some badass factor in the character.
    It might not work for you but for a lot of fans the SciFi elements made for a lot of good stories and the SciFi elements that have been added to the character are a vital part of the Superman Mythos and it would be worse without them. Nah, it is great that Superman is a force for good in the way he is. There might be other heroes who can do the same role as him, but none of them does it as well as Superman. I don't think it is boring at all especially when it is done in conjunction with good stories.
    Last edited by KC; 03-24-2021 at 11:59 PM.

Astonishing Member

I have always thought that a possible replacement for the cape in a hypothetical redesign of the costume could be a Middle Eastern scarf/cape (I guess that it has a specific name, but I don't know it) liek the ones in the forthcoming Dune movie.
    https://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting....une9.jpg?ssl=1
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/46/18...a196325562.jpg

I am not good at manipulating images, but I'd really like to see a Janin-redesigned Superman with a red scarf/cape on.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

It might not work for you but for a lot of fans the SciFi elements made for a lot of good stories and the SciFi elements that have been added to the character are a vital part of the Superman Mythos and it would be worse without them. Nah, it is great that Superman is a force for good in the way he is. There might be other heroes who can do the same role as him, but none of them does it as well as Superman. I don't think it is boring at all especially when it is done in conjunction with good stories.
    I never said "it didn't work for me".i said,I prefer superman being a working class dude fighting in a neighbourhood than superman being a scifi character.Superman is bland as heck when it comes to powerset and portrayal of it.Ever heard of captain marvel aka billy batson.The kid does it better than superman ever could and then some.The fly paragon business is better if it's actually a kid for me.Otherwise,it's annoying at best and worst paternalistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I have always thought that a possible replacement for the cape in a hypothetical redesign of the costume could be a Middle Eastern scarf/cape (I guess that it has a specific name, but I don't know it) liek the ones in the forthcoming Dune movie.
    https://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting....une9.jpg?ssl=1
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/46/18...a196325562.jpg

I am not good at manipulating images, but I'd really like to see a Janin-redesigned Superman with a red scarf/cape on.

That's basically a ripoff of Cyborg 009.I would love that look though,it's more zorro and the character is also speed based.In general,this is more of Jon kent look for me.Superman is big.Another idea would be to go full tarzan.For those of you who don't know some old tribal wrestlers used to wear cloths like this.I prefer the clothing having some connection to what he does.He's a strong dude.this will also help with underwear problem.

Something like h'el but without the bare upperbody.My preference would be this along with gladiator boots and the police badge s sheild on the chest.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-25-2021 at 01:55 AM.

I never said "it didn't work for me".i said,I prefer superman being a working class dude fighting in a neighbourhood than superman being a scifi character.Superman is bland as heck when it comes to powerset and portrayal of it.Ever heard of captain marvel aka billy batson.The kid does it better than superman ever could and then some.The fly paragon business is better if it's actually a kid for me.Otherwise,it's annoying at best and worst paternalistic.
    OK, you prefer it. That doesn't change my point that while you find the character " bland as heck" many people don't see it that way and find Superman, his powers and his world exiting. I honestly can't see what you find so "bland" about Superman. Yes, I have heard of Captain Marvel but Superman is better in the paragon role. You seeing Superman as being annoying and paternalistic feels more like a you problem than a problem with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    No it just turns out Clark is a lot more comfortable then Bruce in letting his hair gray a bit. Bruce however feels the need to show no weakness so he uses Just for men.
    No, that's not the reason.

Clearly having a kid just aged Clark more.

Hmm? Who's Damian?

OK, you prefer it. That doesn't change my point that while you find the character " bland as heck" many people don't see it that way and find Superman, his powers and his world exiting. I honestly can't see what you find so "bland" about Superman. Yes, I have heard of Captain Marvel but Superman is better in the paragon role. You seeing Superman as being annoying and paternalistic feels more like a you problem than a problem with the character.
    How is it my problem and not the character's problem when the character behaves literally like this on pages?

This is annoying as heck.

How is it my problem and not the character's problem when the character behaves literally like this on pages?

This is annoying as heck.

Because Superman doesn't go around giving speeches like this all the time, his paragonness mostly comes from leading by example and fighting crime and evil. And because many fans don't see him being a paragon as annoying. It is your view of the character but it is not shared by many others.

Because Superman doesn't go around giving speeches like this all the time, his paragonness mostly comes from leading by example and fighting crime and evil. And because many fans don't see him being a paragon as annoying. It is your view of the character but it is not shared by many others.
    yes,He does.More often than not.Superman plays the dad to everyone .For me leading people by example means "Man of action".That(leacding) would never be a character motive.A leader doesn't try to lead by example.He doesn't go around thinking "I want to lead people" or "I am gonna be an ideal to strive towards for mankind".He just does it.A random example,A random guy wasn't trying to lead people.He was trying to the right thing.Accidently(Or should i say as a consequance),did lead people because they saw the merit in the random guys actions.

It's not the speech either.Captain america gives speeches.He is corny as well.other than joss whedon's captain america in avengers movies(language?).Cap doesn't talk to people like this.Eh! fighting crime is pretty much easy if you are talking about bank robbers. "Evil"-you didn't provide any context to what that means.What if the bank is the bad guy?who would superman support? the bank or the robber?Especially if the robber was robinhood? If you are bullet proof,they need to do better.Besides,That's not why superman was cool.He was cool cause he did the right thing and was always about altruistic instinct of man So much so that even a giant robot can become "Superman".

And "the right thing" can be muddy as hell.On top of that.the guy delievering "justice" was a vigilante outlaw and a guy who lies constantly writes about "truth".Yet.with all that superman still tries to be an idealist acknowledging all the contradictions.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-25-2021 at 02:30 AM.

No, he doesn't, he rarely gives speeches like that in the comics. The fundamental point you are missing is when it comes to crime fighting Superman does just do it, he goes out and fights crime and that is him leading by example. He doesn't give speeches after every supervillain scheme he foils or crime he stops he normally just goes on to the next one. He doesn't say to himself "I want to lead people" or "I am gonna be an ideal to strive towards for mankind" he just does the right thing.

Superman knows that no matter how evil you think a bank is, robbing it and threatening innocent people is not necessarily the way to deal with it. That is the point of view of most Superheroes: Batman, Captain America, Spider-Man etc would all say the same thing when written well. Most of the time in these comics “the right thing” is easy to spot: Stop Brainiac from shrinking Metropolis, , stop Metallo from robbing a bank.Just because Superman lies about his identity doesn't mean he still doesn't believe in the truth and he can still be an idealist. Superman is cool because he does the right thing that hasn't changed and that is why so many people like him as he is.
    Last edited by KC; 03-25-2021 at 03:25 AM.