Page 8 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quite frankly, Superman gives speeches all the time. One of the things I hated the most about the introduction of Jon is that they gave him a reason to be even more paternalistic than he used to be.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Quite frankly, Superman gives speeches all the time. One of the things I hated the most about the introduction of Jon is that they gave him a reason to be even more paternalistic than he used to be.
    I can’t say I agree. It’s not like every comic ends with a 80’s cartoon style “what have we learned” section where Superman explains to Metallo and the reader why robbing banks is wrong.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    How is it my problem and not the character's problem when the character behaves literally like this on pages?

This is annoying as heck.
    The image you posted is a PSA from over 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    And a cartoon from about 20.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    what about rebirth?or bendis run?heck! even new52 had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Post comicscode and post siegel first run?sure.
    Look on the bright side,Jon can be superman and not paternalistic.Heck! as the character evolves the character can be different.Or do the same old shtick.who knows?.I think,max landis is the only one who has written a non-fatherly superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    No, he doesn't, he rarely gives speeches like that in the comics. The fundamental point you are missing is when it comes to crime fighting Superman does just do it, he goes out and fights crime and that is him leading by example. He doesn't give speeches after every supervillain scheme he foils or crime he stops he normally just goes on to the next one. He doesn't say to himself "I want to lead people" or "I am gonna be an ideal to strive towards for mankind" he just does the right thing.

Superman knows that no matter how evil you think a bank is, robbing it and threatening innocent people is not necessarily the way to deal with it. That is the point of view of most Superheroes: Batman, Captain America, Spider-Man etc would all say the same thing when written well. Most of the time in these comics “the right thing” is easy to spot: Stop Brainiac from shrinking Metropolis, , stop Metallo from robbing a bank.Just because Superman lies about his identity doesn't mean he still doesn't believe in the truth and he can still be an idealist. Superman is cool because he does the right thing that hasn't changed and that is why so many people like him as he is.
    is that why we get sky parents and earth parents going "all they lack is guiding light.for that reason,i have sent you my son".And superman being like "cool".
    The same batman that beats up criminals,and runs from police and also has plans to take out his "friends" .The same captain america that decided to go fugitive.The same spiderman that has trouble taking on responsibilty and constantly quits being spiderman,gets guilt tripped back,creates villains and even uses his spiderman business to make money.All i am saying is,Superman is 80 years old.Not everyone who wrote superman has the same morality or outlook.If people are innocent that's different.But they have to be.Also,i wouldn't mind seeing superman rob a bank.Just for the heck of it.Maybe jon can do it.The kid can be anything robin hood, godzilla, monkey king,a cyborg,power ranger,...etc.I mean,He is from a county full of illegal alien refugees. I am sure.Jon is willing to break the rules,when required.Also, i am pretty sure marvel said they were making a "heist" movie with antman.

If i wrote superman,then superman would say "This is mob justice driven by vengence and frenzy.This is vigilantism that could lead to anarchy".It won't be "People will be afraid of me diana",That's not "doing the right thing".I mean,if at all anything.Considering the situation(bad guys are already dead and woman being victims themselves) and there being no law in the land to begin with.I am not sure my superman will say anything at all.He would just leave or help the women afterwards.He didn't protect the woman .therefore, he has no right to say what they should or shouldn't do.Heck! he would only give his opinion anyways.The rest is up to people and he wouldn't care .Unless he is put in a position where the bad guys are alive.until real justice can happen he would protect them.Make court or something similar so that real justice can happen.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-25-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

is that why we get sky parents and earth parents going "all they lack is guiding light.for that reason,i have sent you my son".And superman being like "cool".
    The same batman that beats up criminals,and runs from police and also has plans to take out his "friends" .The same captain america that decided to go fugitive.The same spiderman that has trouble taking on responsibilty and constantly quits being spiderman,gets guilt tripped back,creates villains and even uses his spiderman business to make money.All i am saying is,Superman is 80 years old.Not everyone who wrote superman has the same morality or outlook.If people are innocent that's different.But they have to be.Also,i wouldn't mind seeing superman rob a bank.Just for the heck of it.Maybe jon can do it.The kid can be anything robin hood, godzilla, monkey king,a cyborg,power ranger,...etc.I mean,He is from a county full of illegal alien refugees. I am sure.Jon is willing to break the rules,when required.Also, i am pretty sure marvel said they were making a "heist" movie with antman.

If i wrote superman,then superman would say "This is mob justice driven by vengence and frenzy.This is vigilantism that could lead to anarchy".It won't be "People will be afraid of me diana",That's not "doing the right thing".I mean,if at all anything.Considering the situation(bad guys are already dead and woman being victims themselves) and there being no law in the land to begin with.I am not sure my superman will say anything at all.He would just leave or help the women afterwards.He didn't protect the woman .therefore, he has no right to say what they should or shouldn't do.Heck! he would only give his opinion anyways.The rest is up to people and he wouldn't care .Unless he is put in a position where the bad guys are alive.until real justice can happen he would protect them.Make court or something similar so that real justice can happen.
    The "i have sent you to save these people" speeches rarely come up in Superman stories and are way less of a reason for why Superman does good than just doing good.

Yes, all those heroes know that robbing a bank, even if that bank might be evil, is not the way to handle the problem. Especially Spider-Man who has been tempted to do something bad out of desperation but normally rejects it and does the right thing. Superman's morality is pretty basic: do good, don't do evil. There is nothing good about robbing banks and the fact that you want Superman or Jon to rob a bank makes me realize how ridiculous your view of the character is.
    Last edited by KC; 03-25-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Y'know what's funny about the "Difference Between Superman and Batman" video is that that's Bizzaro.

Fantastic Member

He looks like the superman from the truth Arc. If he's being depowered again i'll be very disappointed! Don't see why some keep wanting Superman to be depowered, it's not superman unless he has all his powers and is as strong as ever. I don't want to see Superman be made into a street level hero, a minor league hero!! The truth was awful! STOP TRYING TO MAKE SUPERMAN LIKE BATMAN!!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 03-27-2021 at 08:59 PM.

Depowering is almost a certainty, unfortunately. Its confirmed his powers go through a change in the solicits. A power loss seems to make the most sense as it would suit the needs of their push of Poochie--I mean Jon. But a good writer can make due.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    A power loss seems to make the most sense as it would suit the needs of their push of Poochie--I mean Jon.
    I get that Simpsons reference!

Also agree with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Depowering is almost a certainty, unfortunately. Its confirmed his powers go through a change in the solicits. A power loss seems to make the most sense as it would suit the needs of their push of Poochie--I mean Jon. But a good writer can make due.
    In Future State House of El though he was back to “normal” power levels, so I’m guessing this power loss is only temporary (although for how long is anyone’s guess).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Some interesting omnibus books (is omnibi a word? ) coming out in the near future...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/omni...ook-dc-comics/
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Some interesting omnibus books (is omnibi a word? ) coming out in the near future...

No, but omni means all and bi means two, so omnibi would be like "all two" I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post

Figured we’d start getting more of Waid’s DC work collected with Didio gone. Also holy **** Top 10 is collected! DC is really going to be hitting my wallet hard coming up.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/