Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I agree that Namor was in a hurry and needed these specific characters but some of these do match up

Black Panther/Namor - Kings
    Mr Fantastic/Black Swan - Science
    Black Bolt/Maximus - Inhuman
    Hulk/Thanos - Strength
    Yeah, Namor likely just took who was on hand at that moment. But who was on hand effectively is capable of doing what needs to be done. There are inherent problems in using villains... but sadly the Illuminati demonstrated the inherent problems in using heroes.

In the short term at least Namor got what was needed. And when you've got a little over 7 hours to save 2 universes, dealing with the short term really should be your priority.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    For dropping two Atomic bombs on civilian populated areas of Japan, I'd say Harry Truman's actions definitely qualified as war crimes.

Why didn't he initiate the same action against Nazi Germany?
    Germany was slightly different in that there were Americans, Brits etc. in POW camps. My late uncle was in one having been captured in France but that's another story.
    Also there was the firebombing of Dresden. My Dad flew bombing missions over Germany as a tail gunner on a B17. So they were getting a different kind of attack. Some thought the A bomb would have no different an impact than the bombing of Dresden. Naive, yes.

Not if he's wearing these at the time....

Nevertheless, the next few issues should make for fine reading.
    Yeah, I really hope Doom ends up on the Illuminati. I think he makes his choice possibly next issue. There was a bit of a spoiler in Schiti's interview at Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
    Maybe this is why Namor isn't in Marvel Heroes or Avengers Alliance. I figured it was some tangled rights issue, but it appears now that Marvel may have had designers hold off because he's going full blown villain.
    Or you could argue you cant base a video game avatar on a soon to be dead character.

it would be fitting that a hero such as NAmor would make the ultimate sacrifice for his actions. I respect Namor in death.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I agree that Namor was in a hurry and needed these specific characters but some of these do match up

Black Panther/Namor - Kings
    Mr Fantastic/Black Swan - Science
    Black Bolt/Maximus - Inhuman
    Hulk/Thanos - Strength
    So far strange is still the deciding factor for the illuminaty. The cabal needs Doom now.

WTB, do you guys think the cabal could beat Black priests, without any magic user?

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArcGospell View Post
    He should switch to a couch, evil all-powerful beings LOVE couches!
    Attachment 8494
    I think this is more a lazy-boy

I would have expected Doom to be on this team. Namors overall arching story has been a bit confusing over the years. I remember a mini coming out around the time of Civil War, by the end of that mini I believe Atlantis was destroyed and Namors people had no home, so they stayed with Doom? Then I think when the X-men colonized Utopia Namors people lived below the island? Is that right? Anyway, I hope we get to see how this team was formed, Namor couldn't have had an easy time convincing Thanos to join him right?

Ultimate Member

Honestly, I think it's one of the worst concepts around.

I'm hard pressed to believe Thanos would care about the death of a universe, and I can't believe that Namor would be stupid enough to recruit him, let alone two agents who are exceptionally powerful and loyal to him alone.

The rest, eh. I could take or leave 'em.

Ultimate Member

For dropping two Atomic bombs on civilian populated areas of Japan, I'd say Harry Truman's actions definitely qualified as war crimes.

Why didn't he initiate the same action against Nazi Germany?
    Because at the time, they were beaten?

Japan was told to surrender unconditionally. They didn't. And they didn't surrender after they were hit with the first bomb, what was then and still is the most destructive weapon in the history of warfare. That says a lot about their resolve, ya ask me.

Though in Japan's defense, they were kinda worried that we'd treat them like they treated everyone they conquered, so...

BANNED

Not really Japan was on the verge of surrender, the US wanted to show up the Soviets.

As for why Japan got the nuke and Germany did not well....I know you know the answer to that Mr. Majestik but I got no problem saying its because they are Asian and the Germans are European.
    Last edited by JaggedFel; 08-23-2014 at 01:58 PM.

BANNED

I'd more match the Hulk against Terrax than Thanos but your matchup list is pretty much spot on.

Also, possibly getting to see T'Challa square off against Corvus & Proxima would be interesting.

I think Doom is definitely needed in the Illuminati at this point.
    Meh it depends on if you are matching powers or themes. I would say Thanos is closer to Iron Man but obviously much more power given they both have a versatile set of powers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Not really Japan was on the verge of surrender, the US wanted to show up the Soviets.

As for why Japan got the nuke and Germany did not well....I know you know the answer to that Mr. Majestik but I got no problem saying its because they are Asian and the Germans are European.
    The fact remains that, even after the first bomb, they didn't surrender. So they weren't as close to surrender as you'd like to believe. And the United States didn't want to fight a ground war that likely would have resembled our invasion of Iraq. With no soldiers or allied soldiers in the field, a nuke makes alot more sense

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

And Germany had already surrendered first as mentioned below. The US was a bit weary of the fight and didn't want a ground war with Japan. I am not saying anything that hasn't been covered in historical documents but Japan was horrifically brutal to our POWs, frequently ignoring the Geneva conventions. One of my Mom's brother's is buried out there in the far east, building the infamous Burma railway, which is the subject of the "Bridge on the River Kwai" film. We recently discovered a website honoring the dead and found reference to his burial there. More that 100,000 POWs from the Allies and Chinese died during the forced labor on that project. Torture was quite common and sometimes even to the extent of cannibalism of prisoners. I think our government feared the Japanese would become even more desperate had the ground war continued

Namor only did what he does as a matter of course, namely murder large numbers of sentients.

I doubt that qualifies as manning up.
    Yes, it would be better to have no Marvel comics at all, because the 616 was destroyed by the noble heroes, like T'Challa, that would stop Namor.

Historically AND politically speaking this is the most accurate answer. The US wanted to "warn" the USSR about expanding too much, showing they had decisive technological superiority.

As for Dresden it was firebombed to the ground as the terror tactics were meant to break german internal cohesion by targetting civilans. The same was done by the nazis during "the blitz".

WWII is probably the moment in time where targetting civilians became an acceptable strategy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And Germany had already surrendered first as mentioned below. The US was a bit weary of the fight and didn't want a ground war with Japan. I am not saying anything that hasn't been covered in historical documents but Japan was horrifically brutal to our POWs, frequently ignoring the Geneva conventions. One of my Mom's brother's is buried out there in the far east, building the infamous Burma railway, which is the subject of the "Bridge on the River Kwai" film. We recently discovered a website honoring the dead and found reference to his burial there. More that 100,000 POWs from the Allies and Chinese died during the forced labor on that project. Torture was quite common and sometimes even to the extent of cannibalism of prisoners. I think our government feared the Japanese would become even more desperate had the ground war continued
    And the Germans were on a Genocide campaign against Civilians... I am well aware Japan were no saints though.