Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Teen Titans Academy #1 Discussion and Spoilers

You know what first things first, no I am not making an x-men reference. It's been done before and honestly will probably continued to be referenced, so I'm side stepping it and making an Emperor's New School reference, cue the Theme Music!

Sorry for that little joke, or if you got that theme stuck in your head now, I just wanted to start this off with something funny. So here we are the first inaugural class of Teen Titans Academy, home to a mix of classic and new heroes as well as a few retcons thrown in for good measure. Now I'll be honest and say this, this is 100% a set up issue that literally picks up from those two pages in Infinite Frontier #0 and establishes where we are with the Titans, The Teen Titans, the new kids, and of course the poster boy for this run Red X, which surprisingly there is a little bit more then we thought but I'll get to that in a minute. Basically while it can be interesting to tease and see some characters do not expect a whole lot out of this issue as its basically just establishing footing for characters and their relationships and how characters interact. Some characters are more interesting then others and some who you may wish got more screen time don't, unfortunately that is the burden of a book with such a large cast and its trying to get you to like these new characters. For those Shazam fans out there (like me) he really only gets one page to identify he's here, sorry for that but he may do more later. Personally I am interested in learning more about Stitch out of anyone in the new class.

We do get a class or a tier system going showing how Titans Academy works as a superhero team, basically the adult Titans are at the top as teachers and field advisors, the Teen Titans are the upper class students who can go out into the field (consisting of Wallace West, Emiko, Crush, Roundhouse, Bunker, and Jakeem Thunder), and the new kids are students learning from the adult Titans (unfortunately it looks like Shazam is here for reasons I'm assuming have to do with Future State). I'm sure we will see some flexibility with how this all works, but for now this is the setup.

Now onto the guy DC is selling us, Red X. No we do not learn who he is, we can probably get some ideas by looking at the main cast but for now your guess is as good as mine. So all we get is a mask at Nightwing Birthday? Not quite, see there is a bit more going on here then we thought, which I shall leave for the spoiler box to read at your own risk

spoilers:
    So this is the third Red X and that is not counting Dick Grayson. Dick while teaching a class and fighting holograms that he looses control over makes it known that after he tried it on, there were two other individuals who took up the Red X identity. That means that this is the third Red X in a line of Post-Grayson Red X users, and we have no indication of if that plays into anything, like perhaps this Red X is related to them somehow. Not sure why there are now two, but I am assuming that Sheridan has some kind of plan for the backstory and how it all relates to Grayson.
    end of spoilers

Overall its a fine introduction, now we have to see how it continues on from its character introductions and hopefully gives some characters more to do (some more Shazam would be nice). I'd give it about an 8/10 for its introduction.
    Last edited by sifighter; 03-23-2021 at 06:59 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm calling it- Brick is Red X. .

The book is alright. I guess Atlinta is Bolt from Future State Suicide Squad. What does Matt do again?

In the Titans scene, they note Jakeem could turn the Thunderbolt Genie into armor. Which page/panel was that shown? Unless it wasn't shown which I find weird.

I give it a 7 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm calling it- Brick is Red X. .

The book is alright. I guess Atlinta is Bolt from Future State Suicide Squad. What does Matt do again?

In the Titans scene, they note Jakeem could turn the Thunderbolt Genie into armor. Which page/panel was that shown? Unless it wasn't shown which I find weird.

I give it a 7 out of 10.
    You have to look really close in that fight scene, Jakeem is small while inside of the giant Thunderbolt. You'll notice he's posing the same way that the Genie is.

Also we don't know what Matt does, he was dead in future state.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Wait, so they turned Jakeem into Armor from the X-Men? Though I suppose Thunderbolt's powers are only limited by Jakeem's imagination.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Okay I like that there are more than one Red-X. That will make things more interesting to find the clues. School story and Detective story sounds like my jam and I already like these characters design.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wait, so they turned Jakeem into Armor from the X-Men? Though I suppose Thunderbolt's powers are only limited by Jakeem's imagination.
    Haven't read it yet maybe he is more like Tye Longshadow from Young Justice.

Thought Stitch might be connected to Ragman but now wonder if shes connected to Brother Power, the Geek.

I very much enjoyed the first issue. Just seemed like a wee bit of a set up issue! But thats ok! got to introduce us to all the new characters after all!

Honestly like all the characters. Looking forward to getting to know them. I'm intrigued by the bat-pack. I think they will be fun.

I think Brick is so suspicious he is a red herring. But it very well could be him

So there are three Red Xs? I guess that is a way to stop fans from being disappointed when one of the students is revealed to be Red X. So they can just say that student isn't the "real" Red X and keep the mystery alive. Since as soon as the Red X mystery is solved then the character is kind of done and loses what makes people interested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    So there are three Red Xs? I guess that is a way to stop fans from being disappointed when one of the students is revealed to be Red X. So they can just say that student isn't the "real" Red X and keep the mystery alive. Since as soon as the Red X mystery is solved then the character is kind of done and loses what makes people interested in them.
    you could clear a building in a single bound with that leap.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Edit- original comment was a jerk move.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-24-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I actually found this better than I was expecting it to be. I do think it could get potentially messy down the line, with the book dealing with a new class of titans, the current upperclass teen titans and the OG's..but this first issue balanced things well enough. I do hope after the first arc, the writer stops teasing with the red x stuff so much. The reveal certainly won't be worth the constant teases.

I do hope the rumored Shazam spinoff gets announced soon, as I feel a concept like this would be benefit from having 2 different books so they can have room to spread with the different plots going on.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    If you think people will still be as interested in Red X once the mystery is gone you are going to be disappointed. It will be another Arkham Knight situation.

I thought this was a good start. The Titans have a rich history and I think going the “Academy” route and blending new and old casts is the way to go in this slimmed-down DC line where we can no longer rely on separate Titans and Teen Titans books. Like others have said, #1 was a lot of set-up, but there were a few fun moments. I’ve actually never seen the Teen Titans cartoon so all I know of Red X is what I’ve read on threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I thought this was a good start. The Titans have a rich history and I think going the “Academy” route and blending new and old casts is the way to go in this slimmed-down DC line where we can no longer rely on separate Titans and Teen Titans books. Like others have said, #1 was a lot of set-up, but there were a few fun moments. I’ve actually never seen the Teen Titans cartoon so all I know of Red X is what I’ve read on threads here.

The short sweet of it is Dick screwed up pulling a Batman type move, created a new villain, and now one of his students has taken on the identity

The long answer is that the whole Red X thing was that in hopes to beat Deathstroke Dick Grayson went undercover as a new identity Red X, which he did not inform the Titans of. He had to pull a few crimes and beat up the titans until he was discovered.

After Dick gave up the identity a mysterious person, still unknown to this day, stole the suit and became a separate Red X character. So now that history from the show is being brought over into the dc universe but of course slightly altered..
    Last edited by sifighter; 03-24-2021 at 08:23 AM.
    Words to live by.

I'd say this book is about the teachers more than Strange Academy. Which feels more about the students to me.