Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Who’s your favorite comic book villain

Who is your favorite comic book bad guy and why?

Mine is the Joker because he’s a brilliant bad guy and in the write writers hand can be terrifying like in Snyder’s stories.

And Wilson Fisk the kingpin is another one...The Kingpin is a complex character like the Joker, and so you a go9d writer can write a great story around him and Daredevil.

Thanos, because he is a brilliant schemer, a massive threat, and usually handled well by writers. It helps that most of his appearances were written by Jim Starlin, and his worst appearances have been retconned away. And his Hostess ad is hilariously awful and features the Thanoscopter.

EDIT: Most villains will never get a story as great as The Thanos Quest, the two-part setup for Infinity Gauntlet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Thanos, because he is a brilliant schemer, a massive threat, and usually handled well by writers. It helps that most of his appearances were written by Jim Starlin, and his worst appearances have been retconned away. And his Hostess ad is hilariously awful and features the Thanoscopter.

EDIT: Most villains will never get a story as great as The Thanos Quest, the two-part setup for Infinity Gauntlet.
    He’s another villain who does well with his own story, the most recent Thanos series was crazy

The one and only DOOM!

DOOM.jpg
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Both Thanos and Doom are also among my favourites, and I have ridiculous soft spots for Master Pandemonium, Graviton, Helmut Zemo and Simonson-era Malekith, but Imma have to save my top pick for...

Mr Sinister.

Because awesome.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Thanos definitely. Loki, sometimes. Sabertooth with a jetpack, of course.

And of course Madcap, that zany immortal fool.

If we add manga to the "comics" pool, Frieza is hard to beat. Plus, well, Vegeta started as a villain.

If we add satirical, animated versions, TFS has some gimme wins in Nappa and Mr. Perfect Cell.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Yeah, my all time favorite would be Dr. Doom. You can tell (until recently anyway..), writers had a lot of respect and admiration for the character (see, Supervillain Team-Up). Minus obvious PIS moments, writer's have pitted Doom against the Avengers, the FF, the X-Men and Excalibur and he has come away with wins against them all. I found myself getting a little jealous over Magneto's portrayal in Fox' X-Men movies as the a villain in so much pain because of his child hood and I'm like, "yeah, Doom was the FIRST Marvel villain to carve that angle". I really hope he is done justice if he gets another shot at a movie. To me, Doom is the most prestigious villain in all of comics.

Next would be Thanos. His combination of intellect and power, including esoterics, should scare any hero. Somewhat cut from the same cloth as Dr. Doom, Thanos demands respect.

After that would be Zoom (Hunter Zolomon). I love speedsters, especially good speedster villains. I like Eobard Thawne for the same reason.

Honorable mentions: Doomsday, Darkseid (actually, more in love with the idea of Darkseid than anything else...although, I'm hearing good things about him as of late. Might be time to catch up!). Mangog (just...run, lol). The Abomination, I hate that he was de-powered so early in his career.
    Last edited by Cronus; 03-23-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

This guy;

He can go from delightfully evil, to dark humor, to outright terrifying. No tragic background that's become so common place, no abuse (in fact, it seems he was rather spoiled), and despite his tiny frame (form 1, final form, and Golden Form), he packs a mean punch.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Pre-neutering Sabertooth is up there, for me. Ditto the entire Marvel Canadian Government, I guess, for everything related to Weapon X.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    This guy;

He can go from delightfully evil, to dark humor, to outright terrifying. No tragic background that's become so common place, no abuse (in fact, it seems he was rather spoiled), and despite his tiny frame (form 1, final form, and Golden Form), he packs a mean punch.
    Didn't (in the anime at least) he mention his daddy hurt him? Like Goku was the first person since his parent(s) to make him feel pain or some such
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Didn't (in the anime at least) he mention his daddy hurt him? Like Goku was the first person since his parent(s) to make him feel pain or some such
    He mentioned that Goku was the first person since his parents who was able to put a speck of dust on his body after Goku managed to hit him hard enough to destroy two small islands but not hard enough to actually cause him any damage or pain. Considering that Frieza's whole schtick was revealed to be that he got so powerful without ever training, I'm guessing that he never got any actual abuse, what with his dad not having been murdered (before Trunks came onto the scene) and Frieza appearing to get along well with him.

Incredible Member

I always like Dr. Doom and Magneto for the same reason. They both, in their own way, had a noble side when compared to many other villains. Doom was always fiercely protective of his subjects against the outside world and Magneto first foremost wanted to see mutants protected from persecution by humanity. This didn't just make them compelling villains, it made you want to root for them.

On the other end of the spectrum, I always like Doomsday. If you're going to have a two dimensional villain, you might as well go for broke IMO and just have some elemental force of destruction/cruelty. Doomsday always fit that bill nicely. His problem was the writers could never quite figure out what to do with him after he killed Superman.

Also, for a while at least, I was really enjoying Norman Osborn as head of HAMMER and a major political figure. It was extremely satisfying to see him graduate from Spider-Man's arch nemesis to a major player for the Avengers and SHIELD to contend with and it felt so natural. But then they turned him back into a Spidey bad guy and while I did enjoy his brief stint as the Red Goblin, overall I was disappointed in his return to form.

Quote Originally Posted by T-1000 View Post
    Also, for a while at least, I was really enjoying Norman Osborn as head of HAMMER and a major political figure. It was extremely satisfying to see him graduate from Spider-Man's arch nemesis to a major player for the Avengers and SHIELD to contend with and it felt so natural. But then they turned him back into a Spidey bad guy and while I did enjoy his brief stint as the Red Goblin, overall I was disappointed in his return to form.
    The best Osborn for me was always Thunderbolts Osborn. Batshit insane, power-mad, naked-monologuing T-Bolts Osborn. That guy was great.

Partly because he was so convinced of his own rightness, partly because he glanced at ‘over-the-top’, then thought “Nah, that’s just not enough. Overacting is the new subtle.”, and partly because he was just so damn petty & vindictive.

That last part is why I also love Wizard. He’s such an obnoxious, petty, vindictive obsessive.

But yeah, Spidey-books Osborn is not even the best Spidey villain. That’s probably any of the original Sinister Six except Vulture or Sandman. Plus an honourable mention to Mac Gargan.

I am Magneto. Master of Magnet. Welcome to die.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Incredible Member

Darskseid
    Homelander Especially the show version
    Lex Luthor
    The Violator from Spawn
    Doctor Doom
    Ra's Ah Ghul
    Bane
    King Pin