Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Was "releasing the Snyder Cut" rewarding bad behavior?

Given the harassment, death threats, and other abusive behavior (some) Snyder fans engaged in to get the film released, was WB just rewarding bad behavior and toxic fandom by giving in to their demands?
    Assassinate Putin!

With the way the internet is these days there are always going to be people who take it overboard. At the end of the day it’s nice that Snyder got to see his film released, it doesn’t have to be more complicated than that.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Yes, considering the people who displayed said bad behavior think it's 100% due to their campaign, and won't be convinced otherwise.

Am I still glad they did it? Also yes.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Yes, considering the people who displayed said bad behavior think it's 100% due to their campaign, and won't be convinced otherwise.
    This is actually so funny to me cause it’s SO obvious that HBOMax was just desperate for content.

Retired

You do know that the Snyder Cut fans have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for suicide prevention? I think the good work that those fans did was what won them support from the Snyders and others. It's not fair to cast shade on these good people, because of what some bad people have done.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You do know that the Snyder Cut fans have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for suicide prevention? I think the good work that those fans did was what won them support from the Snyders and others. It's not fair to cast shade on these good people, because of what some bad people have done.
    Oh? I stopped following the whole thing closely quite awhile back, and I did not know that. Thank you.

Unfortunately, as with many things, the negative gets much more coverage than the positive.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I didn't say there weren't some good things they did. But it doesn't overshadow the bad either. I'm simply asking if this sends a bad message that if you just harass a studio enough, they'll just give you what you want. Regardless of how you go about it. I want them to get rid of the Kelvin timeline in Star Trek, but I'm not sending death threats to the head of Paramount either.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

And that is supposed to excuse WHAT?

Those same guys were the ones Snyder called out and are now going after him.

Some of them were the SAME folks who went after Kelly Tran, John Boyega, Brie Larson, Tom King, tried to review bomb Cap Marvel & Black Panther and have attacked ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is NOT a certain demographic.

I want them to get rid of the Kelvin timeline in Star Trek, but I'm not sending death threats to the head of Paramount either.
    That is the point folks are missing.

Yeah you got the film but lets not ignore all the folks who got this done to them. Some for saying they were NOT interested in the film.

This is actually so funny to me cause it’s SO obvious that HBOMax was just desperate for content.
    Considering all the crap AT&T OWNS-content is not an issue. Especially content that came with a price tag while you axing employees.

You PANDERED to them once-what is to say they don't demand Milestone to come back? Or want a certain Green Lantern writer removed? Or want this universe over whatever you got planned.

Folks saw acting toxic worked once. Best believe they are going to try again. Since Snyder made them mad.

I don't think it's rewarding bad behavior as long as they make it clear that the Snyderverse won't be going on from here. I think Snyder himself has been pretty clear on that. I know he was kind of like "never say never" about it, but Snyder and WB seem to want to put this behind them.

At this point I think it's best to continue his universe in a comic. I know it's not a movie, but the fans who are genuinely interested in Snyder's story will be satisfied.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I don't think it's rewarding bad behavior as long as they make it clear that the Snyderverse won't be going on from here. I think Snyder himself has been pretty clear on that. I know he was kind of like "never say never" about it, but Snyder and WB seem to want to put this behind them.

At this point I think it's best to continue his universe in a comic. I know it's not a movie, but the fans who are genuinely interested in Snyder's story will be satisfied.
    that hasn't stopped #restorethesnyderverse. I've seen people on twitter saying "we won't give them a choice" "we forced them to release this and we'll get them to release more"

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If studios decided to not do projects because the worst elements of fandom were being assholes, we'd never get new movies, TV shows or comics in any of the old franchises because they all have their vocal minorities of toxic fans.

I can't think of a single popular franchise out there that doesn't have at least some percentage of truly awful fans making the world worse by their terrible behavior. Star Trek, Star Wars, LotR, Marvel, DC. It doesn't matter the property. If it's popular enough, there's a 100% guarantee that you can find at least a few examples of someone who loves those properties being horrible because any large enough group of people is always going to include a few assholes.

And, just as we shouldn't make the mistake of letting these assholes dictate what we do, we also shouldn't make the mistake of not doing something worthwhile because there's assholes who also want that to happen.

No. Every fandom has toxic elements - is every movie rewarding the worst of their fandoms?

This was just a calculated business move to make a profit. Nothing more.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    that hasn't stopped #restorethesnyderverse. I've seen people on twitter saying "we won't give them a choice" "we forced them to release this and we'll get them to release more"
    So? There are plenty of dumb people out there who believe dumb things. You just ignore those people and move on. Snyder certainly has.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

On one hand, yes, yes it was. Although obviously not everyone that engaged on the campaign was a harrasser, there were quite a few of them, and they made quite a mess. However, DC and it's parent companies are now exiting a transition period and are quite a different animal than they w ere some 3 to 4 years ago.

And part of this new identity seems to be making peace with it's many fandoms. As much as I'm not really a fan of Snyder's take, and don't believe that that particular universe were ever gonna be a good base for building a worthy shared DC Universe in the movies, we also have to admit that the whole Snyder situation was also kind of a shitshow.

So, I. believe that in AT&T/WB/DC's eyes, they see this less as a reward for the SnyderCut people, and more as messaging to the general public that they're willing to right a wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    So? There are plenty of dumb people out there who believe dumb things. You just ignore those people and move on. Snyder certainly has.
    /\ This right here.

(Unless it's an election, of course)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Yes, I think it was a toxic fandom reward for all intents and purposes; while i'm sure that a small percentage of the fandom online demanding it wasn't the sole factor that got it commissioned (no fanbase is big enough alone to make a project like this profitable), the mere appearance that "fans demanded it" being the cause is enough to galvanize the Snyder cult and other groups like them to try the same tactics to make studios do what they want. Heck, we've seen that that's what happening, what with the rash of "release the X Cuts" petitions after the Snyder Cut was announced (including ones were we factually know that the X Cut never existed period) and the Snyder cult moving to demanding the full restoration of the Snyderverse despite it being no secret that the series is over after this release.

(Long story short, I think the message received is that toxic fan groups being toxic gets them what they want and it's only going to get worse until things change.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)