Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Comic series based upon another Earth Pantheon other than Nordic and Greek one?

Say if Marvel feels like picking up another Earth Pantehon and its mythos as the base for comic adaption, which one would you like it to be? And who should be the protagonist?
    I know most Earth Pantheon does exist within MU, but most of them are pretty non-consequential and not well defined characters, the only ones with relatively complete stories and lore within MU are Nordic and Greek(also maybe Egyptian) ones with Thor and Herc comic series.(And of course other characters who are frequently featured in solos and team books.)
    BTW, the protagonist should be a god from said pantheon instead of being herald/servant/worshipper of a certain god. Or else characters like Moon Knight and Black Panther would count as representatives for Egyptian gods.
    What are your thoughts on this?

Mighty Member

I think there's a lot of potential to explore Vodou and that pantheon. I think marvel has a lot of untapped potential with Dr. Voodoo as a character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I think there's a lot of potential to explore Vodou and that pantheon. I think marvel has a lot of untapped potential with Dr. Voodoo as a character.
    Yeah, it would be cool if they explore the pantheon in detail.
    Though I am talking about a series like Thor or Hercules, meaning featuring a god as the protagonist and the pantheon as supporting cast.(Which is why I kinda exclude characters like Moon Knight, but again a mortal protagonist won't stop them from using the broader mythos of course.)

I wouldn’t mind seeing The First return, since Marvel owns them and has forgotten about them.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    ^^^This.
    Also Native American lore/Gods/Pantheons, via Red Wolf.

Fantastic Member

Let's see some Paganism from the British Isles, and how that might tie in to Merlin and the Captain Britain Corps.

The Chinese myth of Monkey is the obvious one. Already a popular character in fiction, tons of potential.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The Chinese myth of Monkey is the obvious one. Already a popular character in fiction, tons of potential.
    If I remember correctly there is a Marvel version of the Monkey King.
    Anyway the OG Monkey King novel has both Taoist and Buddhist deities/elements. Should be fun to weave them into the MU.

Astonishing Member

I'd love to see Aztec mythology. When Marvel introduced the Aztec gods in Infinity Gauntlet I was excited because I thought they were going to play a role in the greater MU. I can't recall them showing up anywhere else though.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    If I remember correctly there is a Marvel version of the Monkey King.
    Yeah there is:

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The Inua have guested in Alpha Flight and Snowbird is still active. Maybe do a limited series centered on them with a bit of horror via the Great Beasts.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Wakandan gods

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Wakandan gods

Aren't Wakanda gods kinda a mix of gods from other Pantheon? Like Bast is from Egyptian Pantheon.
    Kinda like how Atlanteans have Neptune as their patron god?

Fantastic Member

The Hindu Pantheon.

Sun Wukong probably derives from Hanuman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanuman

I think the protagonist would work best as a lesser god... Brahma, Shiva, Vishnu would be overly powerful to work as a protagonist imo.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    The Hindu Pantheon.

Sun Wukong probably derives from Hanuman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanuman

I think the protagonist would work best as a lesser god... Brahma, Shiva, Vishnu would be overly powerful to work as a protagonist imo.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t Hindus very protective of their gods? I remember there was a big stink on the xena tv show about how they were depicted.