Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t Hindus very protective of their gods? I remember there was a big stink on the xena tv show about how they were depicted.
    They are, and now more than ever, as they saw how easy it is to terrorize or to guilt people into self-censorship.

And here is the question: would readers accept that other pantheons are treated with the same "respect" as the nordic and greek pantheons?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t Hindus very protective of their gods? I remember there was a big stink on the xena tv show about how they were depicted.
    Yes, you're probably right. Probably not be a good idea. I didn't see that Xena episode. I do remember a Supernatural episode where the Hindu gods were depicted as basically incompetent "lesser" gods compared to Christian figures.

But I think if we were setting up the Hindu pantheon as the "base" of a new comic book series (as per OP's suggestion)... not as "extras"... and treated with the proper respect, I think people (including Hindus) might go for it.

BANNED

Sooooooo much potential in the yoruban and mesopotanian gods

Has the Egyptian pantheon been explored that much outside of Moon Knight books?

Astonishing Member

With all the failed Black Panther spin-offs featuring the Dora Milaje and Shuri you'd think Marvel would try their hand at a Bast/Wakandan gods mini series focusing on the early days of Wakanda. That'd be new and exciting, especially if they use the lore from the recent BP arcs and just streamline it by taking out some of the stupid elements Coates introduced. Wakandan religion is a great synthesis of Ancient Egyptian, Nigerian, and South African mythology that'd be great to explore in more depth.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    They are, and now more than ever, as they saw how easy it is to terrorize or to guilt people into self-censorship.

And here is the question: would readers accept that other pantheons are treated with the same "respect" as the nordic and greek pantheons?
    I think it's probably due to some mythos have a longer history of being adapted into modern entertainment so people are used to it.
    Also there is the fact that Hindu is one of the largest religions right? Not saying old pagan gods from Europe aren't worshipped by people. But there will be less liberty in adapting them due to that for better or worse.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 03-24-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Yes, you're probably right. Probably not be a good idea. I didn't see that Xena episode. I do remember a Supernatural episode where the Hindu gods were depicted as basically incompetent "lesser" gods compared to Christian figures.

But I think if we were setting up the Hindu pantheon as the "base" of a new comic book series (as per OP's suggestion)... not as "extras"... and treated with the proper respect, I think people (including Hindus) might go for it.
    I mean, like many Christian exorcism shows/movies, some pagan religions/belief are always kinda just straight up demon worship.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    With all the failed Black Panther spin-offs featuring the Dora Milaje and Shuri you'd think Marvel would try their hand at a Bast/Wakandan gods mini series focusing on the early days of Wakanda. That'd be new and exciting, especially if they use the lore from the recent BP arcs and just streamline it by taking out some of the stupid elements Coates introduced. Wakandan religion is a great synthesis of Ancient Egyptian, Nigerian, and South African mythology that'd be great to explore in more depth.
    Yeah, it kinda fascinates me that a "side god" from a pantheon can be the "godhead" of another.(Bast in Wakanda's case, Neptune in Atlantis's case.)
    Though it can only happen with fictional civilizations.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Has the Egyptian pantheon been explored that much outside of Moon Knight books?
    It has not and even then its not been much. A Horus here a Ra there. Exploring the Egyptian pantheon would get my first vote.
    Its literally the next most well known pantheon of ancient gods. Stargate didn't even get into the breadth of opportunity with the Pantheon of Egyptian gods till deeper into its run.

I'd wager the educated world in general knows, in no order, these Pantheons best depending on where you are in the world.
    1-Roman/Greek
    2-Egyptian
    3-Norse
    4-Hindu
    5-Chinese
    6-everything else

The first 4 were covered in various degrees for me in High School...way back in the early 90s.
    I didn't learn about the Chinese gods till late 90s near the end of college and even then it was very brief mention. Aztec's, Mayans, Picts and Native American gods got such a cursory glance that it is barely worth mentioning anything being said of them. Anything I've learned about those has been on my own.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Aren't Wakanda gods kinda a mix of gods from other Pantheon? Like Bast is from Egyptian Pantheon.
    Kinda like how Atlanteans have Neptune as their patron god?
    Thoth is Egyptian too...I think he wrote the Book of the Dead.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    It has not and even then its not been much. A Horus here a Ra there. Exploring the Egyptian pantheon would get my first vote.
    Its literally the next most well known pantheon of ancient gods. Stargate didn't even get into the breadth of opportunity with the Pantheon of Egyptian gods till deeper into its run.

I'd wager the educated world in general knows, in no order, these Pantheons best depending on where you are in the world.
    1-Roman/Greek
    2-Egyptian
    3-Norse
    4-Hindu
    5-Chinese
    6-everything else

The first 4 were covered in various degrees for me in High School...way back in the early 90s.
    I didn't learn about the Chinese gods till late 90s near the end of college and even then it was very brief mention. Aztec's, Mayans, Picts and Native American gods got such a cursory glance that it is barely worth mentioning anything being said of them. Anything I've learned about those has been on my own.
    MU also kinda frame Egyptian gods as the most ancient since their skyfather Amon-Ra is a direct descendent of Gaea.(He is technically Atum who ushered the new age of gods on Earth.)
    And also of course Ma'at is literally an Elder God since it's Oshtur's Egyptian identity.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Aren't Wakanda gods kinda a mix of gods from other Pantheon? Like Bast is from Egyptian Pantheon.
    Kinda like how Atlanteans have Neptune as their patron god?
    yes they seemed to be mixture of different African gods in the real world, at least in the case of Bast.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I'd love to see Aztec mythology. When Marvel introduced the Aztec gods in Infinity Gauntlet I was excited because I thought they were going to play a role in the greater MU. I can't recall them showing up anywhere else though.
    I think Chris Yost touched upon that, or tried to, in his Scarlet Spider series starring Kaine, with the character of Aracely/Hummingbird, who was supposedly the mortal incarnation of the Aztec god Huitzilopochtli and also predicting the rise of Mictlan, the realm of the dead in Aztec mythology. Real shame that didn't go anywhere in the end.

I'd love to see more of Marvel's take on Anansi, the trickster spider-god whose story was a major part of the West African creation myth.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think Chris Yost touched upon that, or tried to, in his Scarlet Spider series starring Kaine, with the character of Aracely/Hummingbird, who was supposedly the mortal incarnation of the Aztec god Huitzilopochtli and also predicting the rise of Mictlan, the realm of the dead in Aztec mythology. Real shame that didn't go anywhere in the end.

I'd love to see more of Marvel's take on Anansi, the trickster spider-god whose story was a major part of the West African creation myth.
    I’ve always liked Anansi’s appearances in Spider-Man comics even though I’m not a huge fan of Peter (or any of the Spiders for that matter) dealing with mystical stuff. We did get a reference to Anansi in the King in Black Black Panther tie-in recently, when T’Challa remembers a Wakandan myth told to him by his dad. Anansi probably still has worshippers in Wakanda and was considered a brother to Bast. I guess as a whole it would be nice to see more Akan/Ashanti gods show up in Marvel.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I’ve always liked Anansi’s appearances in Spider-Man comics even though I’m not a huge fan of Peter (or any of the Spiders for that matter) dealing with mystical stuff. We did get a reference to Anansi in the King in Black Black Panther tie-in recently, when T’Challa remembers a Wakandan myth told to him by his dad. Anansi probably still has worshippers in Wakanda and was considered a brother to Bast. I guess as a whole it would be nice to see more Akan/Ashanti gods show up in Marvel.
    Indeed, and fair enough on not liking the Spider-Men being tied into the mystical stuff overmuch. Now that you mention it, though, Anansi should still have Wakandan worshippers. Come to think of it, there were even spiderlike hybrid creatures that showed up in a Black Panther run with implicit or explicit ties to Anansi, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.