Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IDW is restarting Marvel Action: Spider-Man...

It looks like Marvel Action: Spider-Man is changing from a Spider-Team book to a solo Peter Parker Spider-Man series according to IDW's website. Even has different writers and artists from the previous comics released in 2018-2020.

I'm guessing the current pandemic is what made IDW decided to start the series over. Despite being for a middle school audience, the comics had good stories and did interesting takes on characters that referenced movies and cartoons. Heck, the Spider-Team concept was fleshed-out better in this series because of Peter being a couple of years older than Gwen and Miles. Many of the character designs for the villains were based on Patrick Brown's artwork for the 2017 cartoon. And Venom was actually based on the Tom Hardy version to the point that Peter never wore the symbiote.

There was an interview with Delilah S. Dawson and Fico Ossio about their plans for the series after the issues with Shocker, but it looks like the interview is gone. They were excited for the villain of issues 4-6, which would have featured Scorpion. They even thought about a Secret Wars story between the Marvel Action titles.

The cover art to issues 4-6 are gone, but I managed to save issue 6's cover art before then. Edit: The Marvel wikia has them.

STL156817.jpg
    Last edited by Pattern_Maker; 03-24-2021 at 03:41 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Guessing since Delilah Dawson didn't return they just opted to reboot the book entirely.

I read a couple of issues and I thought it was cute, but I'm also kind of over Teenaged!Peter Parker at this point.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

It was a very nice, fun and easy-going concept. I really enjoyed the dynamic of the spiders and the Tom Hardy-lite version of Venom. So I'm sad it has all been thrown away for this now.

I enjoyed the Delilah Dawson and brief Brandon Easton runs of Marvel Action but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm happy to be getting back to solo Spidey.

Astonishing Member

It was fun while it lasted...

fun for kids?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    fun for kids?
    I take it you didn't enjoy it?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    It was a very nice, fun and easy-going concept. I really enjoyed the dynamic of the spiders and the Tom Hardy-lite version of Venom. So I'm sad it has all been thrown away for this now.
    I would like to see this dynamic in some next Spidey cartoon. Especially, if this cartoon will be much better than modern Marvel cartoons, and it’s gonna be deep. It could be a Spider version of Teen Titans 2000s. Also with MJ/Spinneret, Cindy/Silk, and Ben/Scarlet Spider.

Quote Originally Posted by Undergrizer View Post
    I would like to see this dynamic in some next Spidey cartoon. Especially, if this cartoon will be much better than modern Marvel cartoons, and it’s gonna be deep. It could be a Spider version of Teen Titans 2000s. Also with MJ/Spinneret, Cindy/Silk, and Ben/Scarlet Spider.
    I wish they just would have gone all in and committed to that in the 2017 show. They had the other Spider people there but barely ever working with Spider-Man, it was such an odd decision. Like they wanted to do classic Spidey but also try something new but didn't commit to either very well. The version of that idea was much better executed in these comics for sure.

This new series looks fun, I actually really dig the style from the way the cover looks. Feels almost a little Sean Galloway Spectacular Spidey influenced and that is always a good thing. Plus Peter on his own for an all-ages book again almost feels fresh at this point after putting him with Spider people in everything the last couple years lol.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 03-25-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Undergrizer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I wish they just would have gone all in and committed to that in the 2017 show. They had the other Spider people there but barely ever working with Spider-Man, it was such an odd decision. Like they wanted to do classic Spidey but also try something new but didn't commit to either very well. The version of that idea was much better executed in these comics for sure.
    To be honest, and this is just a personal thing, I've never really been able to get the "Spider-Team" concept in terms of this franchise. Like, I get why they do it from a marketing perspective but it's just never really fit right to me.

I agree that the comic has probably had the strongest take on it and did a much better job of balancing screentime and focus among the trio, but I still found myself asking whether Black Cat or Shocker really needed three Spider-People to take down, and without that personal enmity with Spider-Man Doc Ock came off kind of generically.
    This new series looks fun, I actually really dig the style from the way the cover looks. Feels almost a little Sean Galloway Spectacular Spidey influenced and that is always a good thing. Plus Peter on his own for an all-ages book again almost feels fresh at this point after putting him with Spider people in everything the last couple years lol.
    Looking at the designs from the artist, I'm definitely getting strong Galloway/Spec vibes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I agree that the comic has probably had the strongest take on it and did a much better job of balancing screentime and focus among the trio, but I still found myself asking whether Black Cat or Shocker really needed three Spider-People to take down, and without that personal enmity with Spider-Man Doc Ock came off kind of generically.
    I always find it funny how that never means that this incarnation might be stronger because Shocker and Black Cat required three Spider People to defeat.

I actually liked that Spider-man and Doc Ock didn't know each other because it let their antagonism come off more naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I always find it funny how that never means that this incarnation might be stronger because Shocker and Black Cat required three Spider People to defeat.
    I get that, though I don't think the execution quite sold it. Well, maybe it did when Shocker got that mecha suit.
    I actually liked that Spider-man and Doc Ock didn't know each other because it let their antagonism come off more naturally.
    I wasn't asking for them to know each other, it was their first meeting, but nothing really came of it.

Well, they didn't really defeat Shocker. He took himself out unknowingly because the helmet he removed from his stolen Iron-Buster armor was keeping his vibro-gauntlets from destroying the suit. That detail aside I loved how Shocker wasn't used as a butt-monkey in the story.

Another mention is that the second story arc finally gave Ana and Vladimir Kravinoff decent artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    Well, they didn't really defeat Shocker. He took himself out unknowingly because the helmet he removed from his stolen Iron-Buster armor was keeping his vibro-gauntlets from destroying the suit. That detail aside I loved how Shocker wasn't used as a butt-monkey in the story.

Another mention is that the second story arc finally gave Ana and Vladimir Kravinoff decent artwork.
    The dynamic with Herman and Miles was also pretty interesting.

I take it you didn't enjoy it?
    it was okay. but I guess I'm just interested in other portrayals.